Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: took some cold medicine amd scared  (Read 79 times)

Offline Rose~

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • ~Fear is the only thing that can hold you back~
    • Poke This Member
took some cold medicine amd scared
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:48:42 AM »
I have a cold, so  about an hour ago I took some night time medine for colds. I am very anxious about taking any kind of medicine. For fear it will kill me. It all started with my heart anxiety. So anyway, it's been an hour and I was laying down, eyes shut, when I began feeling dizzy. I sat up and got on my phone, since that calms me. As I sit here, I feel dizzy in my stomach, and things feel weird. It's freaking me out, and I don't know what to do. I will never get to sleep this way. Am I having a reaction to the medicine, a bad one? Or is it just totally unrelated or something? Help, I feel so lightheaded, like if I Move myself while sitting, I feel really dizzy. Should I eat something? I don't know, just really freaked out. Scared this means the medicine really is gonna kill me. :(
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Re: took some cold medicine amd scared
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:28:43 AM »
A little late for a reply if you wanted to go to sleep when you posted, but you could be sensitive to the Dyphenhydramine in antihistamines (it's also in motion sickness stuff and sleep aids).   I get a HORRIBLE feeling if I take that stuff and haven't taken cold medications for the past 30 years.   The best way to describe it for me is that I feel like my head will explode, my heart pounds, when I am ready to fall asleep I panic awake real fast because it feels like I am "sinking into my death" - and yes, things feel WEIRD too.
The feeling it gives me is so scary so that's why I don't take anything like that.  Nyquil was the worst!!!!   But even a tablespoon of something like Vicks does it, but not as intense - but like I said, I haven't taken anything like that in 30 years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:31:26 AM »
Flu medicine won't kill you. Simple fact. They wouldn't be allowed sell it if it was harmful. You took it with this great fear. The second you took it you began to panic. Millions of people take the same kind of medicine on a daily basis and I have yet to hear of one death. Just distract yourself as much as you can. You are not going to die.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:54 AM »
For some people it makes they hyper & jittery but it won't kill you.  Just an unpleasant feeling
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose~

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • ~Fear is the only thing that can hold you back~
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
Thanks all! I managed to get to sleep after my phone died and I forced myself to shut my eyes. Eventually I was able to drift off, and this morning I feel fine. You may be right, maybe I am sensitive to Dyphenhydramine and just had no idea. This was a new medicine, and I haven't taken cold medicine in a LONG time, so that could very well be it. Ugh, that feeling was terrible, I don't think I'll be taking anything else... also, about medicines for flu/cold not killing anyone, that made me relax because I always have it in my head that it's going to raise my blood pressure or something like that. Totally irrational especially at my age, but hey, there's anxiety for ya   ::) I'm going to try not to worry about it so much and just relax. Again, thanks! :)
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Tags: