Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of tongue cancer  (Read 332 times)

Offline van151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of tongue cancer
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:49:05 AM »
There's a mild pain on my right front tongue, I check it this morning and there's a reddish spot there. I have fear of tongue cancer since husband of my friend died last year because of it. My mind quickly jump to cancer when I saw that reddish spot, it's not painful just a mild pain like small wound. I try to calm myself down but my anxiety level always goes up and down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of tongue cancer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:54:42 AM »
I highly doubt you have tongue cancer. You may have bit your tongue and didn't notice or it could be a canker sore, I Definently wouldn't worry about this :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline van151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:56:09 AM »
Thank you,
Yeah I remember last monday I eat a very hot spring roll for lunch, on the night I felt pain on my tongue, I checked it and it was nothing, no suspicious sign. This morning I check again and there was a red spot, and this afternoon I check it again and I see a very small white spot like small tongue tonsil and surrounded with red color...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:21:36 AM »
Sounds like a burn, pretty soon that skin will peel off - happens a lot to the roof of people's mouths eating pizza!   :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
You probably irritated your tongue by the food you ate.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline van151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
I ask my doctor and he said it was nothing to be scared of. But now sometimes I thought that what if this small pain thing is the begining of cancer...or what if at first it was just a small thing but later it develop into cancer or something, or what if the doctor was wrong, what if....and another what if....

I know the "what if" thought is dangerous but I can stop it especially the trigger is still there, I still feel the pain when I rub it to my upper mouth. I know it won't get healed in a day or two but still as long as the trigger still there, after jumping to far my mind often in what if mode....

What should I do to stop it? I know it is not cancer, it is far from it, it just small irritation, how I can stop my thought from going to what if zone even the trigger is still there?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »
If you find an answer please let me know.  I've been searching for that answer too! I know what you mean about the trigger!  You KNOW it's not (cancer, MS, brain tumor... whatever the problem is at the time) but that little zing, or tingle, or burn, or pain will set your adrenaline racing.
It's some kind of viscous loop. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline van151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
I  make a new thread about it. I hope someone can give us a good advice.
here it is http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,82941.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline Annonymouse

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
I'ts nothingto worry about, prob you ate something too hot or bit your tongue or it's something related to hygiene. If it's like that for longer then go get checked but it'll go away soon don't worry  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline van151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
Thank you,
Part of my brain said it's nothing, but other part always in anxiety mode, always thought "what if...."
Bookmark and Share

Offline midge123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
My mind is in the SAME HA category as this right now. Last week it was jawbone cancer and now its tongue cancer. I almost feel like its the anxiety that is giving me the feelings in my tongue. With anxiety, you focus on the normal subconscious movements of your tongue and when you get anxious and think about it too much everything seems weird. I dont have a sore that I can see like yours, but it just feels kinda soer down the right side like its rubbing a tooth and its not. I have had my mouth checked by my dentist about 3 times. Twice by an oral surgeon and now this past Friday went to an ENT who did a CT scan. Last nioght I woke up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and felt like tongue was swollen and too big for mouth. Got up at 3am and looked in the mirror looked the same. Took 1/2 an ativan and went back to bed woke up this morning feeling a little less uneasy but of course the uneasiness is still there. Good luick to you I know how hard this is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline van151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:00:13 PM »
Hi...

The red spot is gone also with the pain, it was just a small wound after all. But the thought of tongue cancer still there in my mind, whenever I fells pain, tingling sensation I always jump to cancer or the thinking that it is the first sign of cancer.

I often have the sore feelings on my right side, exactly like you mention it, like it was rubbing the tooth. I also checked it by an oral surgeon and he said nothing to be afraid of. I read on article and from a lot of people here that anxiety can cause a lot of strange sensation, including hot, tingling, or mild pain on the tongue. And the first time I felt this sensation is when I heard that someone died because of tongue cancer. I have this sensation for more than a year now, a month a go every time I fells sore on my tongue I try as hard as I could not to connect it with any kind of cancer, I try to connect it with anxiety. Now the sore sensation is still appear but not much as it was before, for a year I felt the sore sensation perhaps 3-4 days in a week, often for the whole week and it makes my week full with scary thought. Now, the last time I felt such sensation was 2 week a go and I'm able to keep it under control and not become a full blow anxiety attack like it did before.

We need to fight it, and disconnect the thought of such sensation with cancer or any other scary thought and connect it with anxiety. I know it is hard, I still have the sensation and for a minute or two I was scared of cancer but I must not allow my mind to wonder and make a negative projection on my mind, I need to keep thinking that this sensation is caused by anxiety. Yes it is not easy, but for me it work...it is a slow progression but it work. I think we need to learn that such sensation is nothing to be scared of, hot flashes, dried mouth, feelings that our tongue is swollen, etc, we need to understand it and learn from it that those sensation is caused by anxiety, nothing more. It takes times, and it won't suddenly disappear and some new strange sensation on different places will emerge and we just have to keep learning until such pain, sensation or whatever it is, is recognize by our brain as nothing to be scared of.

About the "what if" thought...this is the most annoying thing and in my opinion it is the hardest thing to stop. But we need to stop it, we need to stop over thinking. Again we have to learn about it, we have to learn to realize that by thinking "what if..." and then "what if", we are going to make a loooooongggg decision tree. Not going circle, but I think we're making a very long decision tree and thus makes us over thinking and makes us confuse, scared, paralyzed, and it is very stressful. We need to realize when we start to over thinking something and stop it immediately. Again I know it is hard and I'm too still learning it, but it work. As long as I start to realize that I over thinking it and stop it and repeat what the doctor said that it was nothing to scared of, what my psychologist said, what my friends here said, what my religion told me and any other positive thought, slowly but sure I stop over thinking the negative thought...then I try to focus on "now", I stop thinking about the future, and slowly its getting better. Again I know it's hard thing to do for us but it work, at least for me. I still learn this, and sometimes it went out of control and I need to take my pills to give my reality brain times to rethinking and catch up with my anxiety brain.

My therapist, also some of my friends here always told me that we can be cured, we can make this anxiety brain manageable but it all depend on us. We just need to learn again about our brain and our body, what is this sensation and how we perceived it. Learning is a process, and process takes times, we need to be patient with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
At one point, I was convinced I had oral cancer. I went to the ears, nose, and throat doctor several times, I had an endoscopy, I went to my regular doctor countless times until finally my doctor told me to stop coming to her office lol.

The thing about oral cancer is all the sites say if you catch it early it's highly treatable, but oral cancer looks just like a typical mouth sore (and the tongue is weird looking thing anyways) so oral cancer is a nightmare for HA. The symptoms are so vague that at any time probably nearly every person alive has one of those symptoms.

I just came to the conclusion when it comes to cancer of any kind all I could do was live the healthiest life I could. I was consuming a massive amount of tobaccoo at the time, which was the origins of my fear for oral cancer, so I quit tobaccoo. I started exercising regularly again, and I changed my diet.

Several years later, I'm a healthier happier person. I lost 30 pounds. I'm surfing almost as well as I surfed at my peak. My self esteem is improved.

I'm never going back to living an unhealthy life again and thankfully a lot of that has to do with the HA I experienced surrounding oral cancer.
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Tags: