Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: FIRST TIME: Psychiatrist Tomorrow, input appreciated  (Read 538 times)

Offline Potatoes

• Easy on the sauce...
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • No matter how far down, You can always get out.
    • Poke This Member
Re: FIRST TIME: Psychiatrist Tomorrow, input appreciated
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
Things went well.

At first she was very stern and in a way intimidating  "are you here for medication?"

I told her "No, I am here to seek professional help, I'm unsure of what I want to do and I'm seeking more information."

I mentioned I have scheduled to participate in CBT locally, I signed a release of information.

She softened up as things went on, I even got to the point of breaking down, crying, I had felt she understood me and an emotional wave went through me like pulling a drain stop.

My heart rate was 164/100 and pulse at about 90, not sure if the Diastolic is correct but I think so.

She became very helpful and I was given the feeling of trust and honest help.

She was happy to hear my college plans and my interest in attending Therapy, even said medication WITH therapy is more effective that going without.

She has gotten me on a Zoloft plan, I questioned about the sub therapeutic dosage, and she said that's what I'll do for the first week.

She paired it with Klonopin to ease any anxiety spikes, I plan on taking it as needed but she still insisted twice daily, and prescribed me that amount, I will probably do this as follows until I hear from her further on if it can be taken as needed.

She also told me not to be afraid to ask her to fluctuate the dosage of the benzodiazepine and that it is better to find the comfortable and optimal dosage.

I'll start the Zoloft tomorrow, I am already optimistic.

Diagnosed me pretty heavy in Social Anxiety and very minor acute PTSD. I have scheduled follow ups and told her I would keep in contact.

Thank you all for your help and advice, if you have any pointers of opinion, feel free to let me know.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
if you have any pointers of opinion, feel free to let me know.

Seems she's done everything right. Not all do, sadly.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline MobileChucko

• Live long, and prosper...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 26
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
Hi Potatoes!

I was thinking about you throughout the day, and was glad to see your post this evening, about how things went.  Sounds like they could not have gone better!  I am glad that Ian, who is a most fantastic gentleman, and I could help you out.

I am curious as what dosage of Zoloft your psychiatrist is starting you on.  Also, your blood pressure running 164/100 doesn't surprise me, as that is what mine usually runs when I'm face-to-face with a doctor.

Please keep us up-to-date on how you are doing! :sign0111:

As always, the very best to you, Potatoes!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• Easy on the sauce...
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • No matter how far down, You can always get out.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
That means a lot man,

She has started me off on 50mg of Zoloft ( ser-something) but for the first week she advised cutting the pills in half for a 25mg dose. With the Klonopin being .25mg 2x a day (splitting a .5mg).

I will have a follow up with her in two weeks and call in with her next week, and from there a follow up a couple months out.

The pharmacist insisted the Klonopin should be taken as need, but the psychiatrist firmly stated 2 doses daily, she was open about the fact that I will benefit and do better in my classes.

She wanted me to take a Klonopin today and start the cycle off tomorrow ( I was planning on starting both tomorrow) so I took .25 mg a few hours ago.

It's hard to tell what is placebo and what's not, about an hour after taking it I feel a mellow, calm state of mind, not like a "I'm high on drugs" persona (which I was afraid of since I'm in a college setting all day) but not many of my daily worries have really been itching at me. In fact I'm kind of sleepy.

This may be due to the fact that I have sought help and know I have a game plan set to get me back on track again.

I'm curious as to how well I will ride the initial take off of the SSRI, I don't have any intentions on increasing dosage of the benzo, so if I play it safe and take it as a mind control game I should be pretty set in stone. But I grew to respect the fact that she openly gave me the offer to contact her about dosages, though I won't take advantage of that.

I appreciate your support. As do others.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline MobileChucko

• Live long, and prosper...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 26
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:05:42 PM »
Hi Potatoes...

I am so glad I could be of help to you.  Post any questions that might come-up, and you are also welcome to send me a PM too.  There are some really great people on the Anxiety Zone site, and I have made what I am sure, some lifelong friends.

From what you described, those are the effects of the Klonopin.  The results from that medication are pretty instantaneous; it's to bad that anti-depressants aren't, but they don't work the same way.

Hope you get a good night's sleep.  Looking forward to seeing how things go for you.  You have got a great, positive attitude, so I am knowing that things are going to go well.

The very best to you, Potatoes!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: