Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My Panic Attacks and Symptoms  (Read 444 times)

Offline Nack

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My Panic Attacks and Symptoms
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
This is my first post on this website, and I basically just wanted to share some of things that I have been going through as well as find comfort in seeing that people fee the same things that I do.  I'll start from the beginning...

I am currently 27, male and have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for a while now, off and on.  When I was in high school and early college I got into a lot of drugs, most notably a lot of oxy contin.  I did end up quitting cold turkey back in 2008, but for some reason I started getting into Coke.  This is where it all began.  One night I think I did a little too much and I got this feeling like I was going to pass out and I have to say I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life...thinking about letting everyone down that cared about me because I thought this was it.  I didn't end up passing out, but I did have a VERY long night that night though thinking my heart was going to stop the whole night, but didn't end up going to the hospital until the next morning where they ran an EKG and other tests and said everything was fine, but should probably lay off the drugs.  Since then I have never done a drug since...been about 5 years now.  Unfortunately, since that episode I get panic attacks now.

I dealt with it by myself for a long time and never told anyone about my anxiety and panic attacks.  I used to have disoreination feelings, heart palpitations, and major headaches.  I then started going to the gym and got in a really good shape and all my panic symptoms seem to go away.  Life was pretty good.  However, a year ago my girlfriend moved in with me and I stopped going to the gym because I felt bad to leave her at the house all the time as I work 11 hours a day on average anyway.  I probably have gained 25 - 30 lbs since then and coincidentally all my symptoms are back...and worse.  Although they came back a little differently with different symptoms.

It all started one day when I felt like I was malnourished.  I felt really weak like I haven't eaten in days.  I was driving home and was scared that I was going to pass out at the wheel while dealing with traffic as usual.  I would drink Gatorade and eat sugar but nothing would make it feel better.  I finally had to go to the hospital to figure out what was wrong with me.  I have been to my primary for every test in the book....EKG, thyroid, vitamin deficiency, ulcers, lyme disease, chest x-rays...you name it.  Everything is fine.  My doctor final is trying to get me to admit that its anxiety.  Here is a list of symptoms I have been experiencing lately:

CURRENT SYMPTOMS:
-Chest pain (either burning on top of my left breast plate, pain radiating in my left shoulder, sharp pains in the middle of my chest)
-Malournished feeling like I haven't eaten in days
-Nausea
-Stomach pains
-Out of body type feelings
-Trouble concentrating
-headaches or feeling like there is something wrong with my brain
-Knee joint pain

Basically all the normal anxiety feelings.  I find myself checking my pulse every hour or so just to realize that everything is fine.  My doctor wanted me to get on an SSRI, but I've never really heard good things about them and I don't really want to take medication.  She did give me a prescription for Ativan.  I took one the day I got it to see how it would make me feel and it actually made my anxiety worse.  My whole body started sweating and I felt like I was losing control...they were only 5mg pills too.  I'm not sure why I have that reaction.

I'm basically just seeing if people have had these same feelings and if it really is just all in my head.  When I go out with people to do social activities I always have to make sure that I can get some alcohol somewhere so I can numb these feelings, but its not a great answer. 

Sorry for the long post!
Bookmark and Share

Offline christina10778

• A.K.A. "Noble Queen"
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
    • Poke This Member
Re: My Panic Attacks and Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
First, it sounds exactly like Anxiety...back in full force.
But everything you are describing is completely normal.
You changed a lot of things that you were used to in your life.
And how you eat and your physical activity, or lack there of, will make it worse.
Things like sugars, simple carbs, processed foods, etc. will only add to your Anxiety.
And before you would workout all the time which raised your endorphin levels, which creates feelings of happiness and euphoria.
It also reduces anxiety sensitivity and, if you were outside more, then you were absorbing more Vitamin D which is also great for anxiety.
It's the same as taking a medication.
So, once you stopped completely, it was like stopping a pill.

I remember when I was regularly participating in my MMA practice, about 80% of my anxiety went away. 

Why don't you try staying away from foods that cause higher anxiety levels and start working out a little bit at home.
Even if it's only for 30 minutes as soon as you get home...or before you get ready for work in the morning.
It would benefit you tremendously.

Plus, I'm terrified of meds, too, and you should look into vitamin therapy....Magnesium, Vitamin B5 (Niacin), Calcium, Vitamin B12, Fish Oil (Omega-3), etc.

I can't take ANY kind of prescription pill without it throwing me into a panic of some kind.

You'll be fine....it's just your anxiety popping in to say hello.
But, now it's time for it to leave.....you can do it.
I know you can   :bigsmile:

Bookmark and Share
My Health Anxiety Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8-5ZQ6ZyRtI4ccjpE_4QwQ/videos

1 Peter 5:7 - "casting all of your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 01:14:20 AM »
Hello there :). I just wanted to say I feel 100% exactly how you feel. That malnourished feeling I usually get after I work eight hours and I feel so week. So I secretly eat a whole bunch of food :/ I too USE to check my pulse like every minute. What really helped me was celexa. The first few weeks is horrible but once it gets in your system things will get a lot better. I would have an honest conversation with your gf and tell her about your anxiety so you don't feel so bad about going to the gym, heck why can't you guys both go to the gym together you could get healthy together. Just know you are not alone in this and everyone deals with it differently.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nack

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:38:18 PM »
It's actually good to hear that someone feels the same feelings that I do.  Well, me and the GF didn't work out.  She just wasn't the one. She knew about all my anxiety...and she obviously has seen my self hurt scars.  There is a big relief not having her in my life though...I was with someone who I knew I didn't want to be with the rest of my life and that gave me anxiety.  I still have panic attacks, but I feel like I'm getting better.  Like I have been baptized with this new life....I'm going to start working out soon again and be back to normal.  I just can't take drugs....they don't work for me.  I am very mentally strong...I can do this on my own.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
Welcome to the site, Nack :)

You'll find many share the same kind of anxiety symptoms as you do. You're not alone!

I am glad you're getting a fresh start at life. Working out may really help you feel good and even help alleviate some of that anxiety. I hope you find starting over continues to help you get better. See you around the forums!
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Tags: