Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Celexa -- Anybody took it/is taking it?  (Read 317 times)

Offline milenkanx

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Celexa -- Anybody took it/is taking it?
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
Hi,

So, I used to take Celexa years ago and it seemed to work fine for my anxiety. After some time, I stopped taking it as I figured I didn't need it anymore (yeah I know bad choice). I was fine until recently, I have been getting very bad panic attacks and anxiety, obsessive thoughts, depressive moods. I have a lot going on between school, work, home.... And this weather is NOT helping. So consciously, I am trying to tie in all the factors that could be causing my anxiety and panic attacks. However, my doctor prescribed me Celexa 10mg and said that it might be a chemical brain imbalance... But I don't know if I agree because before winter, I was so full of life and energy--no anxiety! I took one dose as soon as I got the prescription (about two weeks ago), and woke up in the middle of the night with a panic attack. I haven't been taking it since. Instead, I take PharmaGABA, VitaminB12 and VitaminD. But, I still feel weird... within one day I will have such mood swings and I feel like maybe I should try taking the Celexa again (maybe it would level things out??), but I'm scared of getting the panic attacks. I heard that these kinds of meds usually make things worse at first before they make them better... Is that true? I was thinking of splitting the pill in half and taking 5mg for the first few days... But I'm still scared of getting panic attacks or having the pill making me feel worse!

Also, has anyone been on Celexa? How is/was your experience on it?

Thank you for your input!! I appreciate it! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Celexa -- Anybody took it/is taking it?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
Hi Milenkanx...

Problems with anxiety/panic attacks can be a one time occurrence, but frequently anxiety/panic attacks can be a more chronic condition, requiring lifelong treatment.  I am not telling you this to scare you, only pointing out that you have a history of anxiety/panic attacks, and should give consideration to perhaps being on an anti-depressant, indefinitely.  I have been on an anti-depressant for some 4-5 years, and plan on being on one the rest of my life.

I was started on Celexa some 10-11 weeks ago.  My psychiatrist started me at 20 mg.  I had some pretty harsh side effects to begin with, but I didn't know better to start at a reduced dose and slowly titrate up.  You might be able to avoid side effects, or keep them greatly diminished, if you start your Celexa at 5 mg.  After 7-10 days, increase it to 10 mg.  When increasing the dose of an anti-depressant, side effects can reoccur.  This is not at all unusual.  Most side effects will resolve rapidly after 2-3 weeks.

10 mg of Celexa is not a therapeutic dose.  At some point your doctor is most likely going to want to increase you to 20 mg, which is considered the lowest therapeutic dose.  If this is the case, you can increase to 15 mg, and then up to 20 a week or two later.

Problems with anxiety/panic attacks is more than just a chemical imbalance.  Stress hormones such as cortisol, can actually destroy brain cells in the hippocampus area of the brain.  Anti-depressant actually encourage the growth of new brain cells in this region.  That is why they take so long to work, compared to other medications.  One will usually see degrees of improvement between 3 and 12 weeks of treatment.

My being on Celexa for 10-11 weeks now, I can tell you that I feel 80-90% better.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, and gives you some food for thought.

The very best to you, Milenkanx!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline liza9560

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
Hi there!  I'm not taking Celexa currently, but I am starting out on Zoloft, and I'm having a rocky go of it.  The physical side effects in my opinion are easier to stomach than the mental.  I as well have had increased anxiety and panicky feelings.

I started off on my Zoloft at too high a dose, and after cutting my dose in half, I am feeling much better.  I'd call your doc just to be clear and communicative, and I'm sure they'll ok you splitting your dose.  I am looking for these side effects to diminish over the next week and a half at this dose, and if they don't, I may try another SSRI.  People have been saying to soldier through the 3-4 weeks of crap, but I don't know if it's worth it for me.  2 weeks of added hardcore anxiety isn't something a person trying to get rid of hardcore anxiety should have to suffer, IMO.

I am optimistic, though.  I'm about to go have some acupuncture done. :)  I hope you feel better!  Please keep us posted as to your progress.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »
People have been saying to soldier through the 3-4 weeks of crap, but I don't know if it's worth it for me.  2 weeks of added hardcore anxiety isn't something a person trying to get rid of hardcore anxiety should have to suffer, IMO.

Suffering is counterproductive, so explain this to your doctor and ask him/her to prescribe one of the benzodiazepines to help you through this. If/she's a benzophobe, the antihistamine hydroxyzine may have enough anti anxiety effect to make this tolerable for you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline milenkanx

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Thank you MobileChuck and liza9560, both of your inputs are very helpful! If I do decide to go on the Celexa again, I will definitely split it in half for the first week. But still, I'm very edgy about being on any sorts of anti-depressants again, and ideally, I want to try every natural option possible before I resort to these medications.

Liza9560--They say Celexa is better for anxiety meanwhile Zoloft for mild depression. I'm not sure how true that is, but in the event that Zoloft doesn't work for you--try Celexa. From what I remember, it was helping me rather well. I'm just very stubborn and constantly paranoid so that's why now, years later, I am very nervous about going back on it. Thank you for your response, and I hope you finally feel better as well! Also keep us posted as to your progress! Also, I'm not sure if you'd consider this, but PharmaGABA is wonderful for when you start feeling panicky. I got this at a nature store, and that is by far the only supplement that keeps me sane lol. Try it! From what I've read, there are no interactions associated with this but of course, consult your doctor first. Good luck! :)

MobileChucko--I'm glad that anti-depressants are working for you! Like I mentioned above, I'm not sure that I will ever go back on them again... I will in the event that all other options fail. I've been considering the Celexa but I'm not sure if I will go ahead with it... Your comment about cortisol destroying brain cells is very interesting and helpful!! I bought Relora a few weeks back that helps lower cortisol levels, but I only took it for a few days. I will start taking it again in combination with my other vitamins. Maybe by some miracle this combination will do the trick. As I have advised Liza above, look into PharmaGABA. It's a natural amino acid supplement that works with the neurotransmitters in the brain to give the same calming effects like Valium, but without the fear of addiction. Check it out! And again, thanks for your reply! Good luck! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
Also, I'm not sure if you'd consider this, but PharmaGABA

The placebo effect is a wonderful thing.

No reasonably well functioning brain lacks GABA. It is a by-product of the process that fuels the brain and is so abundant that the blood-brain-barrier (BBB) has billions of tiny pumps to remove the excess. The BBB also prevents orally taken GABA, and all other amino acids and neurotransmitters, from entering the brain. It has to or else the brain would be hostage to what you ate.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.