Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Do you think GAD is curable/treatable?  (Read 911 times)

Offline Lily120

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do you think GAD is curable/treatable?
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »
I've been hearing from a lot of people that GAD and similar disorders/diseases are incurable or untreatable. I disagree.

This is what I think:
1. Scientists are still researching GAD. It makes sense that there's no cure or long-lasting treatment when scientists don't fully understand GAD yet.
2. The brain has plasticity and can adapt, which means that change is possible.
3. Just because it hasn't happened yet, or to you personally, doesn't mean it's impossible.

What do you think?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you think GAD is curable/treatable?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:40:44 AM »
For the best part we can learn to live with it. Just like learning how to stop a panic attack using various breathing methods. Once you manage that you are bringing it under control. So in a sense you do have a say in the overall picture. I have known some folk who have gone years without any trouble at all. These are people who used to be very bad with their anxiety. Us, as people, are key to finding something that works well for us. Once we do that and put it into practice on a regular basis there is no reason why we can't live a regular life. I accept there are others who may not be as strong minded as others. People do have setbacks. Strong minded people will be able to deal well with a setback. Weak minded people will fall hard again and end up back at square one. But it is all about learning. Believing in yourself. Never giving up. If you have drive and are determined enough you can learn to get by.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tivis14

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • I love you all
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
It is up to each individual, I believe that everyone can control and manipulate their emotions, if they has been trained the right way. I think it can be treated. It may be too difficult for some people to deal with it alone. so they may need a good psychologist and medicine for that.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
How to deal with Anxiety disorder in children
: http://www.anxietydisorderinchildren.com

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »

Lily, I'm not expert.  But like most mental ailments, I'd say GAD is probably manageable.  That is, with proper treatment -- whether it's therapy, spiritual, meds, physical exercise, herbal, etc -- I do believe one can reach a place where one feels calmer, more in control, less panicked and vulnerable.  That's been the case with my bipolar ii anyway. Since finding a winning combination of treatments -- I haven't had a manic or depressive episode in 20 years.  My longest episode was two years in duration!

By comparison, my current bout with GAD is short-lived.  About two months and hopefully it is just seasonal for winter.
I'm going to check my journals from the past years to see if I had issues durng past winters and if they lessened after spring.
Lily, I surely hope GAD is manageable or even curable for the sake of all!

By the way, tonight Sunday I decided to run the treadmill in my building for 15 minutes.  I've not always been motivated to do it for
burning calories, but I am very curious and motivated to see how it can help with anxiety.  It felt good.   :yes: ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »
I think it's interesting, Lily, your thread has gotten 200 views.  That's quite a lot.
Many people must be curious if GAD is treatable, curable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »
Kind of boils down to the definition of cure it. You can definitely treat it, but to be fully cured anxiety free as if it never existed... I don't see it in the realm of reality. Even if it were to be repressed, it's still there and could come back. Psychiatry is forever developing but there are so many variables. It is a part of who you are, non tangible.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline YoloGirl31

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
I like to think that it's curable, and although it's proven it can be managed, that simply is not enough for me. I don't want to "learn to cope" I want it gone! I think some ppl do actually achieve this point. I have heard stories of ppl going years anxiety free. I wonder if the ppl who get better just stop coming back to sites like this, long after they are healed. Besides all that, I was definitely not born this way, so I don't know if it could agree with potatoes completely. Yes it's a part of me, but non tangible? I don't think so.. As we get older ppl change and evolve, our very brains change, the function changes, etc.  If it can change just by age, and experiences, why couldn't we learn to train our brains for better change? I'm no expert at all, but I'm learning more about hypnotherapy, binaural beats music, among other non traditional ways of training my brain to change the way it perceives things. I think like you said there is an answer, science just hasn't found it yet  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:07:01 AM »
Yolo, I also like to think GAD is curable.  I want to add this part of my story.  I was diagnosed as bipolar ii about 20 years ago
after going through year long moodswings.  Once I was correctly diagnosed, they found a mix of meds that worked for me.
I also did some cognitive therapy and continue to do my buddhist chanting.  I no longer have any mania or depression.  And I do
continue to take meds, etc.

Life with moodswings and life without is night and day.  There's no comparison.  Currently I'm going through a bout of GAD if that's possible.
It's an ongoing anxiety that is not the result of any stressor events.  But it is occurring during winter which makes me think/hope that it is
seasonal anxiety.  I haven't yet sought out a dr. on this as my Affordable Health Care insurance is just getting started.  And I want to see
what I can do on my own.  Right now the two best tools for reducing my stress are: a light box and aerobic exercise daily.

I do hope all of us find a cure for whatever ails us.  And, like Lily, I agree that science is making discoveries every day.  By the way, I write
novels about stuff like this.  My new one is called THE HOPE STORE.  It's about the first store in the world to sell hope over the counter.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:03:49 PM »
Right now there isn't a cure in the permanent sense AFAIK, but one can be anxiety free for many years between episodes, as I have been, albeit usually on medication.  One of the more troubling things to me is that sometimes medications may fail to keep working forever, and that is frustrating because it means finding something else that hopefully will work better.  We really need serious research into AD "poopout" and what can reverse it, for example can a med that worked years ago work again so that you could just cycle back and forth if needed (I can find no research and very little anecdotal evidence on the net on this question).  Meanwhile there is great hope especially for the younger folks in the sense that research continues to move forward, so besides new medicines coming out, there is stuff going on with magnetic stimulation and electrical stimulation (not ECT, much milder stuff) that I think might reveal better treatment methods in the future. One of the things I like about the idea of treating the brain itself is that it is a brain disorder, the meds often target receptors all over the body which accounts for the various side effects experienced--so a targeted therapy if possible would be better.  And finally the genetics of this will be sorted out, likely within a decade in my estimation, and that does two things--provide more targets for drug therapy and possibly one day allow genetic engineering to devise a cure (difficult technical issues will remain with that though for some time) by replacing a faulty gene with a better one.  We still need to fight it with CBT or whatever therapy and for those lucky ones for whom this is enough that is fantastic, but for many others we will need some more medical breakthroughs to get a cure for it.  This may sound bizarre, but if they had a for sure surgical cure for it that was no more dangerous than other surgeries, I'd be first in the line, that's how bad I would want this anxiety/depression demon out of my life for good.   I can remember the years before it began, and the years of freedom inbetween (though after your first panic attack you will never forget that, its like a trauma unto itself), so I know life is good when the demon is caged. I look forward to the time when future generations will not have to know the struggles we have had to go thru with this, so I do believe there will be a cure one day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:06:54 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied! I think GAD and other anxiety disorders/diseases are particularly interesting because of how anxiety in it's basic form is universal, but terrible suffering from anxiety shouldn't have to be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billiam

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
I don't think there will be a cure for it because it's our body's natural instinct to have a fight or flight response. But the severity of what some of us suffer can be cured(if that makes sense).
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
I've always had a bit of an engineering/problem solving streak in me and I'm inclined to believe it's curable. Probably with a combination of both medicine and focused therapy. Something happened in each of us to cause this, so that would have to be identified and addressed. Each of us faces barriers to resolution; each of us has an objective to overcome. The treatment method and strength may vary a good bit for each one of us as well.

My own anxiety has really got the gears turning in my head these last few months... It just seems every medication's mechanism focuses on solving a symptom, and not the problem. Which makes me wonder if dr's and drug maker's really know the problem, and if they do, maybe it isn't curable, not with drugs alone. Since it is psychiatric in nature, it makes sense that we'd have to change our thinking and emotional reaction process.

I'm just thinking out loud, with no medical training, I have no hard data to go on other than my own personal experiences.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
curing and treating are the flip side of the same faced coin.

Anxiety is a mental state with physical symptoms. You can take a headache away by taking acetaminophen... but if not going to keep you from ever getting them again.

The fact that every person's brain is different, in how we're wired and how clean slated chalkboard was written upon... I don't see any cure for anxiety unless you just treat it with self-help, medication, meditation, and denial.

It still lurks. I mean look at medication that they distribute... SSRI's... You see growth in the hippocampus  but why? it does, but why?

Why doesn't one medication treat ALL Anxiety sufferers.

Why does self-help treat one person but not the other?

I 100% believe that you can treat your anxiety by even simply changing your perspective on anxiety-related things... but I don't think that there could be some sort of cure-all remedy. Just like an alcoholic who's been sober for 20 years could still be susceptible to a relapse. If you get to the state of mind of being anxiety-free you choose to be anxiety-free regardless of medication or other treatment... and you've learned how to control your anxiety, but it doesn't really mean that it's not still there. Anxiety exists in EVERYONE... that's what keeps us alive.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »
I agree, we all have the anxiety 'button' naturally built in us for survival---the fight or flight response.  And that response is all fine and well when it fires at appropriate times, for the reason it was put in us---to fight or flee.  I don't think most of us want to get rid of that particular type of 'anxiety'.  It's the firing of the alarm when there is no danger present, type of anxiety that we can live without.
 Now, I'm talking about anxiety with no medical reason, like in hypothyroidism or other medical issues that can cause it.  I'm talking about the type of anxiety that we create out of our fears or from living under undo stress. Fear is the trigger for the symptoms of anxiety, so I suppose if we figure out what it is that we fear, and work on eliminating that fear, or coming to terms with it, then we can manage our anxiety, or reduce it to appropriate levels to have a better quality of life.  The same goes for stress; too much stress will make anyone anxious or tense, so learning how to deal with stress in a way that can minimize it's effects would probably help get anxiety down too. 
If 'cure' means getting rid of anxiety for the rest of our lives, that would be ideal, but I think the 'cure' is a daily work in progress. One step at a time, one day at a time, one challenge at a time, that is how to overcome it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »
I don't think there will be a cure for it because it's our body's natural instinct to have a fight or flight response. But the severity of what some of us suffer can be cured(if that makes sense).

Billiam, yes that makes complete sense, and what I had been thinking as well.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: