Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Homebound Agoraphobic  (Read 161 times)

Offline nate

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Homebound Agoraphobic
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm a recently homebound agoraphobic since October. I got a really bad panic attack while driving on the freeway to school, and drove right back home (horrifying experience) and haven't left since. I've suffered with panic attacks since 2005, but have never gotten this bad. I also suffer from GAD apart from the panic disorder. I force myself to go outside daily, but the furthest I can go out is to the sidewalk and back inside, as well as the backyard. It would be nice to meet anyone who has or is going through this as well :)

-Nate
Bookmark and Share

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Homebound Agoraphobic
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:17:11 AM »
Hi nate,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline sneal

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Homebound Agoraphobic
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »
Hi Nate!

I've had many panic attacks while driving.  Actually, that's where my first one happened and I think it left a bad taste in my mouth because driving alone is still really problematic for me.  I've gone through periods where leaving the house to go to the mailbox is just out of the question, but that seems silly when you really think about it.  Then again, saying I can't go to Walmart by myself seems pretty silly, too, but I still can't do it.  I've had panic attacks for the past three years, but for about six months it has been an everyday issue, not just a once in a while panic attack.  Not spending much time outside of my house would drive me crazy, but I totally understand where you're coming from.  Doing things with friends really helps me to get out and have a social life.  It is uncomfortable at times, but what's really going to happen?  Nothing.  I find myself rationalizing a lot, but I feel like you have to talk yourself through it sometimes instead of giving into it. 

Best of luck! 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: