Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Leg Pain for 2 months  (Read 238 times)

Offline park682

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Leg Pain for 2 months
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
I've had cramping in both calves, tingling in my toes and burning in my hips for 2 months now. Has anyone had these symptoms for a long length of time before? I feel like it's been a long time so it must be a blood clot!! My mom says it's a magnesium defiency and I just talk a magnesium pill!
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Leg Pain for 2 months
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »
No one....
Bookmark and Share

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:29:51 AM »
Blood clots are one of my biggest fears, so I definitely understand where you're coming from!

First, evaluate your risk factors. How old are you? Has anyone in your family had blood clots (excluding any they might have gotten after a surgery)? Are you a smoker, or have you, in the past two months, gone an extended trip by car or plane (8-10 hours)? Have you recently had a surgery performed? If you're young, and clots don't run in your family, and you don't smoke, you haven't taken any long plane or car rides, and you haven't had surgery, then your risk is very, very low.

Second, evaluate your symptoms. Is one of your calves noticeably larger than the other? Is there any discoloration? How do they feel when you touch them? Are they tender? Can you feel the pulse on the top of your foot (about two inches up from your second toe)? Do you have a warm, red spot somewhere on your leg?

Third, think about what you've been doing. You mentioned pain in both your legs and hips. Have you been particularly active lately? Have you started a new exercise routine, or have you done something else unusual? Are the symptoms constant, or do they come and go?

If the burning and tingling has been bothering you for two months, it might be worth a trip to the doctor just to get some peace of mind! Tell them that you're worried about a clot specifically. I once brought myself to the ER at four in the morning because I was so terrified, and the doctor was incredibly patient with me, despite the fact that I have absolutely no risk factors (she even made a point to tell me that my risk was "less than 1%"). I went to another doctor before a long road trip because my legs had been tingling and bothering me, and she also assured me that I was going to be just fine. She told me that one of my calves would be noticeably swollen and red and would hurt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
I went to the ER twice in December and had 2 negative d dimers and have no risk factors (no one in my family had ever had a clot even after people had multiple back, hip and knee surgeries). I think that my HA has been crazing depression and I haven't been exercising like I use to. Also the pain comes and goes from both legs...everyone says that doesn't sound like a DVT but then I hear stories about people with no symptoms....it's scary
Bookmark and Share

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:04:35 AM »
(Sorry for the really late reply!)

Negative d dimers and no risk factors are awesome to have. You've probably got a better chance of getting a piano dropped on your head than a blood clot! Just keep in mind that DVT is very preventable by eating right, drinking lots of water, and regular exercise.

As for the lack of symptoms, it's true that DVT doesn't always have symptoms, which is part of what makes it perfect for HA. But try to keep those negative d dimers in mind. They both came up negative for a reason!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: