Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Suspicious mole removed from my 11-year old.  (Read 486 times)

Offline InTheMoment

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Suspicious mole removed from my 11-year old.
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:03:40 PM »
Took my son to the derm today because a mole that he's had for a long time (5 years?) has recently started to change.  The derm agreed it was concerning and took it off.  She said that her guess was that it was mild or moderately dysplastic.  I asked about the odds of melanoma in a child, and she told me she wouldn't lose sleep over it.  She put a rush on the pathology, not because she felt she needed to, but because I was nervous (and she was clear she was doing it for me, not for her.  Of course, she had to add the caveat that she's been wrong before and you can only really tell from pathology, etc. 

My son has medium skin and dark hair (unlike my paler than pale skin and red hair!) and has only had one sunburn in his life.  We are very careful about sunscreen whenever we are going to be outside in the sun for any length of time.  There's no history of melanoma on either side of the family. 

Still, of course, I worry about the worst and I can't find a lot of info about dysplastic moles in kids.  Please share any stories!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suspicious mole removed from my 11-year old.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:47:57 AM »
I honestly can't say, but I am praying that it is absolutely nothing at all. Keep us posted. All in all, melanoma is highly curable when caught eary like you did and it is very rare for it to recur
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:30:29 AM »
I had a couple abnormal moles removed from my back a few years ago. Ones that I didn't even know I had but my dermatologist seemed very concerned about when I went for a check-up. I was so nervous waiting for the results and luckily they both turned out to be nothing more than abnormal. It's good that they removed the mole to be on the safe side but I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over it. The majority of the time moles are not cancerous. Good luck and keep us updated with the results!
Bookmark and Share

Offline InTheMoment

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:55:08 AM »
Thank you both for your replies. 

I have had abnormal/dysplastic moles removed from my own skin, so I understand that they're common and generally not a huge deal in adults.  I guess I was looking for stories about abnormal moles in kids....
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »
I've had a mole removed when I was around 22 or so. It was on my neck and it was raised so I kept accidentally scratching it, rubbing it, it was often exposed to the sun etc. and it started to modify, it had more than one colour, it had a mildly irregular border etc. It was small, like around 5mm, but one day my family doctor noticed it and told me it looks a bit odd and I should remove it, which is what I did. Although it had changed, the biopsy revealed it was very mildly dysplasic (don't remember the exact term), basically it was nothing. I could have kept it for another 20 years she told me. But it was better that I took it out.

I'm sure your son's biopsy will show a similar result, don't worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
I have had basal cell carcinoma, which was no big deal. Mine was removed by a Mohs surgeon 5 or so years ago and
he said that the chance of recurrence is less than 1%. My daughter is 23 now, has had weird moles removed when she was
younger and it was no big deal.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »
I've had 2 mild (which means nothing) and one severe dysplastic nevus.  With the severe, the took 2 inches by 2 inches by 2 inches deep just to be sure they got all the cells. Even with that, the chance of having melanoma SOMETIME in your life is increased by only a small percentage.  Dysplatic does not mean cancer. It means COULD TURN to melanoma at some time.

I think it's very rare in children unless there is a family history of dysplastic syndrome (100's of moles on each person).
Bookmark and Share

Offline InTheMoment

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
It just seems weird that a child would have a dysplastic mole -- that's what has me upset.  I am well-versed in skin issues for adults, as I have pale skin with tons of freckles and moles, but I didn't think kids got dysplastic moles.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: