Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Googling  (Read 380 times)

Offline tamig41

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Googling
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »
I just want to know how many people still Google when we know that is NOT WHAT WE NEED TO DO!  And if you have stopped Googling has it helped with your Health Anxiety?  I think Googling is one of my triggers. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Googling
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
I have not stopped.

I tell my self that it's a bad idea and then I start searching.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »
I stopped and it helped a lot. It was hard to stop, but worth it. Started again and now I'm in a bad spot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
I have stopped so far for 4 days and I think I am doing a LOT better!  Many times I'd actually be mentally happy and think, "Oh I'm going to look this up to prove it's nothing"  Then I find something bad and get into the Google spiral!  Googling symptoms all different ways, then that would take me to another link and I'd look that up, come across a word I never heard of, look that up, then walk away from the computer in tears...
I was happy Saturday...  I did not google, I'm still happy today...
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
I have been googling less and less and it definitely helps. Even when I do google now, I don't immediately diagnose myself with whatever comes up (usually cancer). I just close the tab and don't think about it. Which is awesome but also scares me because what if I am ignoring cancer? :p
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:56:59 PM »
I actually started a topic 10 days ago about Googling and I'll repeat what I said there. When I stopped Googling my HA significantly reduced, up to a point where now I actually listen to my rational mind and I believe it. It was impossible when my anxiety was high.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
I do it in waves. There are times I will go months without doing it and then something hits and that is something I will do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
I believe (and I'm sure that others here can relate) that when you read symptoms and start to worry about them our minds some times create the symptoms in our bodies.

I know that this has happened to me and then when I stop worrying about it the symptoms go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:58:56 PM »
My anxiety is at an all time high right now and when that happens my OCD tendencies come into play which means I tend to google. Fun that right now my fear is unexplained weight loss and it's actually hard to *not* find an article linked to cancer when googling that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »
Taurus4 I know what you mean.
My problem (and this is the first time I have ever had anxiety this long so this is all new to me) started just before Christmas I noticed that I had lost some weight (not much just 4 or 5 pounds) but I didn't know why at the time so I googled and ever damn thing I read pointed to cancer. That put me in to full panic mode. About a week later I thought about something. I use to eat a 4th meal every night (350 to 500 + calories every night late) well in early Nov. we started doing some work on our house so I started getting in bed earlier. That meant not eating the 4th meal. So I calculated those calories based on the 3500 calories a week = a pound and in the time that I had stopped eating that meal came out to the amount that I lost.

But even though I then had the reason that I lost weight my mind was already in panic mode so I went through ever cancer known and I didn't have any of the symptoms so I went with the few that sometimes don't cause symptoms early and for a few weeks I convinced my self that I had colon caner and after the first week my stool actually got smaller in  size and that really freaked me out. But my wife started convincing me that it was all in my mind. After the second week I convinced my self that I did not have colon cancer and my stools actually went back to normal.
Then I started googling about prostate cancer and convinced my self that I had it and it had spread. So I got up one morning and talked to my wife and told here that we need to make some plans.
Well after a week of that I convinced my self that no I do not have prostate cancer.

Right at the end of that I saw a few small spots of blood on the toilet paper one day and a small spot on the side of my stool and now I'm back to colon cancer panic again.
Top it all off a few days ago I lost 2 pounds but I think that was from worrying and I found out tonight that I had calculated my calories wrong and I have not been eating the amount that I thought that I was.

Do count you calories? Do you know how many calories you need to maintain your weight?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:24:20 AM »
Our stories do seem similar. The thing that scares me is I actually have been experiencing some colon cancer symptoms for a while now. I addressed the issue with my doctor and he wouldn't even discuss that as a possibility because of my age. The weight loss is really starting to freak me out though. I don't count calories but I do know I've been eating less than usual. I'm not like eating super healthy when I do eat though. I also have a very stressful and very active job. I don't eat much during the day and honestly probably burn off the calories I do eat while at work. Last week was a particularly bad week appetite wise and some days I know I wasn't even close to eating 1000 calories in a day. I know this would cause me to lose weight over time. But this weekend I ate fairly normal and even had a few drinks with friends and I still noticed the scale dropped since then.  That just doesn't seem normal to me. Earlier this year I was working out like crazy and eating the healthiest  I ever have and didn't drop this much weight. I can't believe it could all bee anxiety related.
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 02:05:03 AM »
Your body needs a certain amount of calories a day just to function. I think it's like 60 to 70 percent of the calories burned in a day is while you are at rest.
You body burns more calories while you sleep than while you work.

If you are not eating enough calories then you are going to lose weight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skyisblue

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 03:55:52 AM »
In 2011, I made a promise to myself to take small steps to STOP GOOGLING.

No matter how simple the symptoms I Google, there is always that line at the end of every article that "If this persist, consult your doctor as this may be a sign of <insert serious disease here>". If there is one thing I learned from Google, it's this: every small case leads to the worst case.

And for us with HA, this never works in our favor.

I'm not gonna lie. I still Google sometimes to look for assurance, but since I made that self pledge in 2011, my anxiety has drastically reduced.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »
Our stories do seem similar. The thing that scares me is I actually have been experiencing some colon cancer symptoms for a while now. I addressed the issue with my doctor and he wouldn't even discuss that as a possibility because of my age. The weight loss is really starting to freak me out though. I don't count calories but I do know I've been eating less than usual. I'm not like eating super healthy when I do eat though. I also have a very stressful and very active job. I don't eat much during the day and honestly probably burn off the calories I do eat while at work. Last week was a particularly bad week appetite wise and some days I know I wasn't even close to eating 1000 calories in a day. I know this would cause me to lose weight over time. But this weekend I ate fairly normal and even had a few drinks with friends and I still noticed the scale dropped since then.  That just doesn't seem normal to me. Earlier this year I was working out like crazy and eating the healthiest  I ever have and didn't drop this much weight. I can't believe it could all bee anxiety related.

I told this to someone else on another post, but if you go back to eating normally you won't see any gains for a week or 2.   When I lost all that weight from stress I started eating normally and lost another pound before it started to pick up again, I dropped from 137 to 112, then started eating normally and dropped to 111... stayed at 111 for the longest time before it started picking up again.  I described it as a car hitting a brick wall at 60mph, the car stops but the people inside still fly forward at 60mph until they too hit the wall. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
I REALLY try and some days can avoid it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: