Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Communication with suffering partner.  (Read 173 times)

Offline walkingonglass

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Communication with suffering partner.
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
Hi everyone :) Hope you are all well!

I just had a question regarding communication with a partner who suffers from anxiety.
When I am communicating with my partner, I sometimes feel like he doesnt really listen to me and he is in his own thoughts. If I say something important about my life, for example "I have a job interview on Thursday" He might ask "what job role is it?" I would tell him, and then no more discussion. I feel like he often does not know what to say, and we mostly talk about him and his life. His thoughts are very scattered everywhere, and sometimes I feel like we cant have a normal conversation without him almost losing interest or thinking about something completely different while I am talking... Can someone with anxiety, or has a partner suffering from anxiety give any input on this?

Thanks alot everyone :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Communication with suffering partner.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »
Hi WOG...

With relationships, communication on all levels is such an important factor.  And yet communication can be difficult under the best of situations, let-alone when one of the partners has a problem with chronic anxiety and/or depression.  Often times those with anxiety/depression are so focused on inward thoughts, that they become unaware of the needs of others.  They don't consciously make a choice to do this, but life becomes all about the 'me'.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you consider couple's counseling.  Often times having a third person to mediate, can be very effective.  We all have wants, needs, and desires, in any relationship, and you need to be able to verbalize that, and be heard.

The very best to you, WOG!...  Chuck 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paws

• The Fabulous
  • Rec's: 1
  • Kitties!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
I think you're looking into it too much. There's a very fine line between anxiety and feeling down. Everybody experiences good days and bad days, and there are many factors that alter how one feels at a particular time. I've met a few people whose thoughts were all over the place, and none of them had anxiety.

Just relax. Give your partner the benefit of the doubt when you feel your own doubts creeping up. The only way you can certainly know how he's feeling and why he's acting the way he does is to ask him. I believe honesty is very important in relationships, no matter their type, but please be considerate about it. We anxious folk tend to give negative thoughts more power than they should be allowed to have. What I am saying is that your mate can realize something's up and he may take the blame for it.

If you ask me, it's better to just live your life and shrug these doubts off your shoulders.
Bookmark and Share
Work hard, and slack harder.

Offline walkingonglass

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I will definitively take both opinions in to consideration. thank you for the support :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: