Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I have nail clubbing and I'm very afraid :(  (Read 669 times)

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have nail clubbing and I'm very afraid :(
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »
My nails are not severely clubbed like in the pics on the web. My fingers are very skinny and the tips aren't wide, but the nail itself curves downward and isn't flat like most people's nails. You can't really tell they are unless you have an eye for it. A doctor mentioned this to me at the start of the year when I was having back pain and flipped out in panic attacks thinking it was pancan.

My parents keep scholding me saying I'm looking for problems but I'm not. I hate anxiety, many people just don't kow what it's like to be anxious. I had an ekg back in 9th grade for a heart murmur, but they never said it was anything and I don't remember when my nails became like this.

I looked at old pics of me in elementary school and my nails were flat, but I remember my nails being like this since hs, about 11th or 12th grade. I'm 22 btw.

Please read, I'm afraid it cold be a lung issue, even worse the C word? I'm so afraid :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I have nail clubbing and I'm very afraid :(
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
bump
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Why didn't your doctor order more tests if he/she was concerned about your clubbed nails?
Your nails can be indicative of things going on inside your body, but if you've had clubbed nails for a few years don't you think you'd be alot sicker now if it was something serious? Maybe that is just the way your nails are?

If you are concerned you should follow up with your doctor's nurse and ask if you should be concerned about your nails since he mentioned them to you during your exam and if he thinks any follow up testing is needed.

I'm sure if he was concerned he would have already ordered tests for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:42:20 PM »
Why didn't your doctor order more tests if he/she was concerned about your clubbed nails?
Your nails can be indicative of things going on inside your body, but if you've had clubbed nails for a few years don't you think you'd be alot sicker now if it was something serious? Maybe that is just the way your nails are?

If you are concerned you should follow up with your doctor's nurse and ask if you should be concerned about your nails since he mentioned them to you during your exam and if he thinks any follow up testing is needed.

I'm sure if he was concerned he would have already ordered tests for you.

But at the practice I go to I always get a diff doctor. I aksed him but he didn't seem worried, he actually didn't tell me, he told an intern and I asked on my own. I asked the PA the next time I went about 2months later but she didn't seem worried either, however it is scary for me. I'm only 22, I feel like a child still and I dnt know how to handle these kinds of things.

Also I can't find threads here of people with similar situations, so it's even harder since not any can tell me their experience
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
I'm only 27, but you have to take charge of your health and anxiety.
Instead of sitting around worrying about it, why don't you call the clinic and inquire some more.
Let them know you always see a different doctor and that one mentioned clubbed nails and you want to know if any further testing needs to be done to determine if there is a problem or not.

You can make another appointment just for this specifically. You are the patient and if your finger nails are abnormal, tell them that you want them to rule out anything associated with clubbed nails. Worrying isn't going to get you anywhere.

Again, my money is on the fact that 2 doctors have dismissed your concerns so they dont suspect anything to be wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
I'm only 27, but you have to take charge of your health and anxiety.
Instead of sitting around worrying about it, why don't you call the clinic and inquire some more.
Let them know you always see a different doctor and that one mentioned clubbed nails and you want to know if any further testing needs to be done to determine if there is a problem or not.

You can make another appointment just for this specifically. You are the patient and if your finger nails are abnormal, tell them that you want them to rule out anything associated with clubbed nails. Worrying isn't going to get you anywhere.

Again, my money is on the fact that 2 doctors have dismissed your concerns so they dont suspect anything to be wrong.

It's easier said then done. I've been a good kid for the most part, I always try to treat everyone nice and with utmost respect, I've been very sheltered my entire life. I know worrying won't change anything, but It still doesn't stop me from being afraid. I wouldn't even being worrying If he hadn't said anything
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »
bump
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:50:12 AM »
anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 01:20:04 AM »
You should try to put a pic your nails on here so we can see the extent of it. I just read about it online which I probably shouldn't of lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:55:15 AM »
I'm sorry but we don't need to see the extent of it.  The people who need to see it - your doctors (more than 1 if i read correctly) - have seen it and determined there is nothing to worry about.  No one here is qualified to make any health determination based on pictures you post.

Rely on your doctors.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
Nails that curve over are just that.  Clubbing is when your fingertips look like spoons at the end. I have a friend who has clubbed fingertips and it's VERY noticeable. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
Nails that curve over are just that.  Clubbing is when your fingertips look like spoons at the end. I have a friend who has clubbed fingertips and it's VERY noticeable.

here's sum pics

In the first pic it looks kinds normal, but in the second pic, the nail isn't flat from a side view, it's sorta raised. Also what was your friend's condition if you don't mind me asking?

Also I glad that you have beat cancer, it is truly a blessing :)

Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
Your nails aren't clubbed
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
Your nails aren't clubbed

lol what are they then? I've never seen nails like mine and they sure aren't normal.

The nail curves downward, my fingers aren't clubbed but the nails are strange and look like claws when my hand is relaxed and my toenail looks like the raptor claw from Jurassic park. It's been that way since 11th or 12th grade and I'm 22 as of now
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »
Not everyone's nails look the same.  If they have been that way since high school, its probably just the way yours looks.

You may have a mineral deficiency too.  Take some biotin
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Tags: