Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: The past  (Read 154 times)

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The past
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
Sitting here thinking of all the times I've been wrong and have not had a heart attack despite convincing symptoms, yet here I am fearing that this time I'm right and will die any moment. I don't understand how I can still have this fear despite everything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: The past
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
I mean I admit that it's irrational, so why am I still so terrified?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »
Because we are irrational people, despite our high intelligence.  I believe that people with HA are extremely smart people.  Sometimes too smart for our own good. 

I have a high IQ, consider myself extremely smart, but I can have myself dying quicker than anyone I know. 

I am currently going through something real right now and despite the fact that I know if I was ready to die I would feel sicker, I'm still thinking I have something far worse.

Maybe I'm right, but my track record isn't good.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline anxietycoachNH

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »
I can definitely relate to what you're feeling! I used to be CONVINCED I had some heart defect (sometime it was an arrhythmia, sometimes it was a leaky valve, it often changed) and this persisted for a while and then slowly disappeared as my anxiety and panic attacks decreased. BUT the minute I was panicked or anxious again, that fear of a heart defect would come right back. It's really common for people to have one or a couple persistent fears, when our body is in an anxious state it scans for potential threats as a survival mechanism and when it doesn't see any concrete threats it hones in on bodily sensations...for me a rapid heart rate was a common anxiety symptom so my fears automatically interpreted that as there was something wrong with my heart (even though a fast heart rate is a normal by-product of the body's stress response). Rationally, I was 99% sure it was just anxiety but it was the "what if it's something else" thinking that kept the fear alive for me, all it takes is 1% doubt that it's something other than anxiety to keep that fear alive, no matter how rational you are! Some of the most intelligent and rational people struggle with panic attacks and anxiety, Charles Darwin had severe agoraphobia and panic attacks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
I wish I wasn't so smart, then!  I don't have typical panic anymore, but rather constant symptoms that make me fear that it's my heart. And the pain is so real and strong. I think it's being caused by something real, like gas.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: