Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Introduction and Freaking Out with Stomach Pain  (Read 312 times)

Offline Iva

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introduction and Freaking Out with Stomach Pain
« on: February 03, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I have just joined. I have had dull upper left side abdominal pain for a couple of weeks now.  After a search on the internet, I am convinced I have the Big C.  In my search I learned that the BRCA2 gene is linked to Breast, Ovarian, Pancreatic and Colon CA, which run in my family though my mother and I have not been tested for the gene yet.  One of my cousins died at a young age to Pancreatic CA (he and his mom were never tested for the gene), and his mother died in middle age due to Hepatitis C, so we do not know if she would have gotten a BRCA related disease.  Another aunt passed away from ovarian CA, and two of her daughters have the gene, one actually getting breast cancer twice very young, and the other having all of her parts removed to avoid getting sick.  My grandparents have passed young enough to have never met them, one very young (when my mom was 10) from unknown causes in a small town in Mexico, and the other from colon cancer (also seen in BRCA2 positive individuals).  Both of my parents are alive (ages 67 and 69), have not been tested for this gene, and have not had any BRCA2 related diseases (knock on wood).  In my internet search, an expert on Pancreatic CA at UCSF stated that she has found her patients come in with undeniable problems (jaundice, vomiting blood, severe pain, etc.) after having had several months of only a very dull abdominal pain or discomfort in the middle to left upper abdomen, and NOTHING else.  I am freaking out!! I have a doctor appointment this afternoon, but they will likely not take this seriously given my age (42) and the fact that I have no other symptoms.  Well, I have mild diarrhea (1 to 2X/day) right now, but I am just coming out of a two day fast, and though eating now, I am in a 10 day cleanse right now, which I began due to the abdominal pain.  At first I thought it may have just been a clogged up system that needed cleansing.  The fast nor the cleanse (day 4) has helped so far, so again starting to freak out.  I'm also starting to notice the dull ache in my back behind my pancreas, (and down lower in my abdomen and lower back, but have been menstruating, so thought that was the reason).  I do have diverticulitis pain as well, (have been dealing with that since my early twenties), which became constant prior to the fast, rather than just during BM.  Another reason for the cleansing.  Anyway, the reason I am here is because I have a history of anxiety dating back to childhood when I had abdominal pain and lack of appetite, and was told over and over that it was anxiety or depression.  I do not feel depressed, but I have struggled with stretches of significant anxiety my entire life, and am in one of those now.  It began as significant life stress that I tried to just push through, then the dull stomach pain began two weeks ago, and now after the internet search, I am getting full blown panic.  I have a doctor's appt. in a couple of hours to check out the pain, any advice for the appointment and afterwards?
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introduction and Freaking Out with Stomach Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:35:40 AM »
Hi Iva,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

I do know that anxiety can cause some very real physical symptoms so there is a very real possibility that what you are experiencing is the result of anxiety.  For your doctor visit, I would highly recommend making a list of all the issues and concerns you have to discuss with your doctor.  You are your best advocate and being prepared can help you feel satisfied and have your issues heard.

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline MajorIFG

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introduction and Freaking Out with Stomach Pain
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
Hi Iva,

I'm new to the forum as well.  Have had a dull LUQ pain for the past 4-6 weeks too.  I'm in my 30s and thus far have had both a CT scan and an Ultrasound done and nothing has been found (which is a good thing, other than the pain being ongoing! :happy0151:).  I'm starting to think that perhaps it is muscular?  Did you get any answers from your doctors?
Bookmark and Share