Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: High anxiety - lung cancer/radon worries again - really bad....  (Read 469 times)

Offline am123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
High anxiety - lung cancer/radon worries again - really bad....
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
I posted a couple weeks ago about high radon in the house I grew up in - my parents just got their first floor results back (bedrooms) and they are 27.9 pCi/L and 24.9 pCi/L!!! That is incredibly elevated.  It makes me sick to know I grew up in a house with those levels for ~20 years (I've been out of the house for ~10 years, and presumably at lower radon levels since then).  I am worrying myself sick, worried I'm doomed to get lung cancer...and the problem is that no one, of course, can tell me if that's my ultimate fate or not.  I keep telling myself that my parents have lived there for 43 years and they're fine - but it doesn't help me thinking that I was young when I was exposed, more time to get lung cancer, etc.  I'm trying to work this out with doctors, experts, etc. but I also need an outlet for my extreme anxiety. I feel like I can't think about anything else, can't sleep, driving my loved ones crazy....my doc put me on 5 mg twice a day of buspirone but it doesn't seem to be doing much.  I have definitely had health anxiety through the years (average people may not even be concerned about radon!) but this is the worst by far.  I can't seem to find anyone who lived at high levels like this for so long....I just want to know if I'll be OK and it's driving me crazy....how do you deal with knowing you may have a high cancer risk?  How do you go on living your life and enjoying yourself? I almost don't even want to have kids because I'm worried I won't be there for them...I may be over reacting but try telling my mind that. Any advice (or levels of radon that I know people live with) would help...thanks  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: High anxiety - lung cancer/radon worries again - really bad....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
Seriously? No responses at all? I'm going nuts in my head here. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
Studies have shown that Radon typically only affects smokers, so it is basically bunk.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
Seriously? No responses at all? I'm going nuts in my head here. :(

Atleast you don't have finger nails that curve downward. I have this fear as well :(, I believe you will be ok tho, considering you've gone 30years without any symptoms at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
It's tricky, because I work in the biological sciences so I have read quite a few papers and have interpreted them as high radon = cancer, although the exact link/severity is not well known.  Then I extrapolate to what else I have been exposed to - I smoked a handful of times (individual cigarettes, not for a duration of time), and traveled to several highly polluted cities in the world (Delhi, Beijing, Bangkok, Cairo, several others), although only spent a few days in each one - and I assume those exposures would contribute to my risk.  Plus, I've flown many miles and had a few radiation-based medical scans, which all add up your exposure...ughhhh! I also can't stop researching (although I know I need to, because it's not making me feel any better at all).  It's affecting my concentration greatly.  I have recently been put on 0.5 mg Buspirone twice/daily, but it honestly doesn't really seem to be doing a thing, and I've been on it for about 2-3 weeks.  I almost want to ask for something like Xanex till I come down off my extreme panic, but my doc is very reluctant to prescribe anything like that.  I just want to be completely calm, even if I can't forget about things. :(

It doesn't help that my uncle passed of lung cancer at the age of 59, and so I keep thinking about a genetic effect (although he was a smoker for many years).

I don't think I would have worried about my other exposures if I didn't discover high radon...but now I just feel like I'm doomed and I cannot change the past.

I get OCD stuck on something and CANNOT shake it off!! This is def. my worst yet. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »
Oh, one more thing I forgot - I've been having coughing issues for months now, mainly clearing my throat and something that feels like drainage and phlegm in my lower throat.  Once I discovered all my past exposures, I high-tailed it to the doc and they think I have post-nasal drip OR acid reflux (they stuck a scope down my throat and saw inflammation), which could have actually been caused by my anxiety.  It got quite a bit worse when I just went to India/Nepal in November because of the high level of air pollution there.  Luckily, I only spent a few days total in high-air pollution areas, but it still scares me to death.  Due to having just gone to India and my past radon exposures, the doc suggested a chest x-ray to verify it's just in my throat, but I have been avoiding it so far to see if it clears up because I don't want MORE radiation exposure!! :( I just have so much flying through my head right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
Has anyone found out they are at a high risk factor for something serious and how do they deal? Like Any ex smokers out there?
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
Oh, one more thing I forgot - I've been having coughing issues for months now, mainly clearing my throat and something that feels like drainage and phlegm in my lower throat.  Once I discovered all my past exposures, I high-tailed it to the doc and they think I have post-nasal drip OR acid reflux (they stuck a scope down my throat and saw inflammation), which could have actually been caused by my anxiety.  It got quite a bit worse when I just went to India/Nepal in November because of the high level of air pollution there.  Luckily, I only spent a few days total in high-air pollution areas, but it still scares me to death.  Due to having just gone to India and my past radon exposures, the doc suggested a chest x-ray to verify it's just in my throat, but I have been avoiding it so far to see if it clears up because I don't want MORE radiation exposure!! :( I just have so much flying through my head right now.

I feel your pain. I have slight nail clubbing and I'm worried out of my mind. I'm only 22 and have never smoked, RARELY drink, so I'm very scared
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »
If you google photos of nail clubbing (I generally do not recommend googling, by the way), you can see it looks NOTHING like your fingers.  Take it from someone who worries about things - as we all do on this forum - if you have no risk factors for something (you are young, you don't & never have smoked, you don't drink) you have a very low chance of having a problem like you describe.  My nails have changed a lot over the years, from getting ridges, etc. so it's not unusual.  Your fingers look like normal fingers.

My issues tend to come out of the blue...I.E.  extremely elevated air radon levels can lead to lung cancer, and I just discovered I was exposed to such levels for 20-odd years.  It's a gamble, that's why I'm terrified!! I feel like I'm an ex-smoker who started as an infant, and I've just found all this out.  Now I have to find a way to deal with this increased risk.  I can't believe it, but no one here has tested their radon levels? And gotten high levels?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: radon