Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Keep telling myself it's not a brain tumor - but I can't shake the fear.  (Read 279 times)

Offline NightBlizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Just Breathe
    • Poke This Member
Okay - to start off I am new to these forums but reading other peoples posts on here has helped me in the past!  :winking0008:

I am 19yrs old, generally healthy person. However for ... about a 2-3 weeks I've had on and off symptoms that have begun to trouble me a bit (as in .. ALL of these symptoms come and go throughout the day)

- Mild to Moderate Dizziness
- Pressure in the right side of my face that started in the forehead but has now gradually centered itself around my temple (but I can still sometimes feel it in my cheek, nose, forehead, eyebrow) It is not tender or puffy to the touch.
- Pain in jaw (around the TMJ joint)

I also had sharp pain, whoosing, and popping in my left ear earlier in the week but that has since gone away.

I went to my eye doctor at first (because I thought maybe I needed new glasses!) and she told me that everything in my eyes looked fine, my prescription had actually gotten a tad bit better and that I should go to my regular doctor. Well, after going to her - beyond her telling me that I had a bit of a stuffy nose everything looked fine, that I should head to an ENT doctor. I haven't been able to go yet (but believe me I want to go soon).

However, during all this downtime - I've done my best to not assume the worst (i.e. brain tumor or something to that affect). I think the reason I'm scared is because my mother has a brain tumor. Hers was thankfully benign. They were not able to take it out, but it has not grown since my mother was given radiation for it (which was more than 20 years ago). I also know that brain tumors are rare - very rare; but the fear is still there, mostly because I have never experienced symptoms like this before, and to visit two doctors and them not be able to find anything wrong just makes me more nervous. I'm praying that when I get to go to the ENT my fears will be put to ease but until than its crazy to think, but its a struggle to keep myself from not only making myself crazy with this, but my family as well. I've done my best to make sure not to google any of my symptoms, and to distract myself as much as possible (i.e. playing games with my family, watch tv, talk with friends)

Bookmark and Share
"Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass - grant me forgiveness"

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Really you can only wait and see. The symptoms you describe are symptoms of anxiety. That is thing about anxiety. The symptoms can seem like symptoms of worse things. But you are doing the right thing in getting yourself checked out. Better safe than sorry. Just try and take it one day at a time. Keep distracting yourself. Well done for not looking things up on the net. That is a big step. That would have only made you worse. I am sure you will know soon enough. Keep us posted on what they tell you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
i'm in the same boat as you worrying about brain tumors, it's my current biggest fear and is total hell. but you mentioned having an eye exam that went well. the good thing about eye exams is that they can detect a ton of conditions in the brain just by looking at your eyes. not only did your eye doc not see anything sinister, your eyes apparently even got better! that's great news.

you also mentioned having a stuffy nose. this can easily cause dizziness and other symptoms that we hypochondriacs assume are neurological, when really they're just related to the sinuses. i have a ton of sinus issues that can make me very dizzy sometimes. dizziness is also related to having fluid in your ear, a benign condition that can cause a ton of "neurological" symptoms like the ones we worry about when we obsess over brain tumors. you're definitely not alone in this fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NightBlizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Just Breathe
    • Poke This Member
Thank you for the support - honestly it a struggle daily to keep myself from having a panic attack over these symptoms. I've gone from thinking its a brain tumor to a brain aneurysm to anything that affects the brain. It really is scary (my panic tends to get worse at night, as that is when my symptoms seem to become more pronounced.)

My mother has noticed that the lymph nodes in my neck are slightly swollen, and I have suffering from a bit of a sore/dry throat - which makes me more hopeful that what I'm suffering from is an infection and not some terrible disease! I'll try to keep updating whenever I find out something new about what's ailing me :)

Bookmark and Share
"Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass - grant me forgiveness"