Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I wonder?  (Read 176 times)

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I wonder?
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
If you start SSRI's will you always be on them off and on your whole life? Because I have heard numerous people with anxiety state they have gone off them and always had to get back on them, and actually I am a perfect example. I was started out at 10mg of paxil when I was seven years old and now i'm 26 off and on my whole life I have been on some type of antidepressant, maybe I could go a year or two during my teenage years but then I would have a MAJOR breakdown and have to get back on them. Like now about four months ago I guess I will say I got back on paxil and I had not been on a antidepressant for like four or five years, but I did take just a benzo!!! I had a major breakdown!!! So it seems like once you start them you will always like be on them!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: I wonder?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:42:08 PM »
If you start SSRI's will you always be on them off and on your whole life?

You will likely be on some treatment, meds or therapy, off and on for your whole life. Anxiety disorders and depression can be successfully treated, but for most there is no cure.

After my third relapse I decided the hassle of restarting antidepressants wasn't worth whatever little I gained by being med free occasionally so I've been on the current one continually for about 20 years and plan to stay on it for life, or until maybe old age makes my very cardio-toxic TCA too risky. Recent research and anecdotal evidence suggests stopping and restarting antidepressants progressively increases the odds of them pooping-out so that may have been one of my better decisions.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline johnathonm

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: I wonder?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »
Ian is right and if the medicine is helping keep you stable it's best not to rock the boat. There can also be a withdrawal syndrome associated with stopping the medication.  The meds help and ultimately that's what matters (Quality of Life vs. diminished quality)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: