Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Trigger Help  (Read 496 times)

Offline gvjaguar

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety Trigger Help
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »
Hey guys,

So everything was going good and I thought I was getting over my ALS fears until something trigger another anxiety... After logging onto ***** there happened to be a promotional ad for Microsoft showing how their new technology is helping ALS patients like former New Orleans Saint Steve Gleason have a voice. Immediately shock waves began riveting through my body as I felt like someone was telling me I should prepare to have this terrible disease.. Like God is telling me I have it. A couple months ago I walked into a classroom before class started and the words "assistive tech" was written on the board, and again, I feel like that someone is telling me that I have this disease.

I'm I being irrational? I'm absolutely horrified that I have this disease and I can't shake the thought. I have muscle twitches all over my body, but mostly in my legs (feet, calves, knees, thighs, and quads) and lower back shoulders, elbows, etc. All of this started after I began working as a cashier and standing on my feet for long hours. I'm only 21 years old like I'm too young for this. I'm desperately hoping this is related to some sort of spine issue or back problem. Can anyone help calm me down from this? I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow and hoping he can find something wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Trigger Help
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
Sorry to bump this, also wanted to add that if I really had this disease, there is no way I could stand for hours on end right? And can a pinched nerve or tight back muscles also cause these muscle issues? I also have soreness in my shoulders and lower back, so I'm hoping that's a good thing... It's just been really stressful and trying to stay positive all the time is getting difficult... Thanks for any help guys, really.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:09:23 AM »
The way those ads work is they identify things you've recently been searching for and use metadata and keywords to match it up.

So if you've been searching for health and ALS related things. That's what will come up.

The do it for marketing. Eg if you're searching for a new camera. Sponsored camera ads will start to appear etc. it in NO WAY a sign that you have this.

You totally don't have it. I could almost promise you that. My friends mum has ALS and its not a subtle kind of weakness. It's progressive and unmissable. With ALS if you lose the ability in your hand to turn a door handle. That ability is gone. You won't be able to regain it. It also moves really quickly so even after a month or two you would notice a difference. It's actual CLIMICAL weakness. There is also no pain associated with it. The muscle twitching also appears in the late stages, not at the beginning.

Your problems absolutely sound like back problems from standing. Try to get some comfortable shoes and really squishy socks? :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »
Thanks a lot for replying to my post, I really appreciate it.

So the twitching in ALS is only in the end stages after the muscle is already dead? and the twitches only occur in the affected limb? So if i'm having them in multiple limbs I hope that's a good sign. I've had neck issues and shoulder issue as of recently as well due to poor lifting techniques at the gym. I wonder if it's possible for these issues to cause random muscle twitches in my legs, arms, back, etc. For some funny reason, whenever I'm standing I rarely get muscle twitches at all, leading me to believe it must be postural related (hopefully).
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
I have gone through the ALS fear - have done endless research and felt better when I found out that the twitching is not ALL over the body like that. It's in one place and wastes away that ONE place at a time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
Yeah that is also something that brings me comfort as well. At one point earlier this year I began hearing about all these people having MS and I swore I had that, but nothing has presented itself yet to make it actually think I have the disease. I think it would be better if websites actually told you that twitching occurs towards the end of the disease, it would certainly put a lot of minds at rest.

I'm only 21, in reality, the chances of me having such a dreaded disease at this age is astronomically low, but still, it's hard to get it out of my head. Whenever I see things in the media about people having the disease, it just sends my anxiety into panic mode.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
I was in the "I've got MS" too for a few weeks, but I got myself out of that one - I'm just wondering what my NEXT malady will be.  I've already had colon cancer, tonsil cancer, ovarian cancer, ALS and a brain tumor all since August  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
I really feel for you. The anxiety train never stops, and we're just passengers on it. I'm really hoping I don't have ALS, I can't keep living my life in constant fear all the time, it's killing me. I hate these muscle twitches.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
As soon as I got home tonight from dinner, I log on to ***** and I literally see two things in my timeline: Stephen Hawking (who has ALS) and another God damn Microsoft posting about the video with Steve Gleason (who also has ALS) and it's not just advertising, they're posts from pages I've liked. If I didn't have this disease then why do I keep seeing these stupid posts with all these people with ALS, I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:24:26 PM »
You are zeroing in on that.  Let me give you an example.  I have a fear of throwing up (this is a fear since childhood), when I am out somewhere, let's say a diner...  you know how all you hear is muffled talking, mumbling, yada yada, blah blah, background droning?  Well all of a sudden as clear as a bell only ONE voice will stand out.. "Yea, he had a stomach virus, he was sick all night"  And WHAM!  I'm done for the day.  It's that my brain is TUNED to that station and my antenna goes out and picks it right out.  That is what is happening with you.  If you were concerned about stomach cancer then stomach cancer things would be "popping up" all over the place.
You do not have ALS, like I said before you don't get twitches all over your body, only in one place. Twitching all over the body isn't a symptom.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
That does make sense, thanks again for replying..

It's just that the twitches are in mainly my legs, like hot spots in my calves, feet, knees, thighs, etc., however I guess if I had ALS they would only be in one leg, right? I just have this awful fear that a higher power somewhere is trying to prepare me for this awful disease and I can't get my mind off it. I'm hoping and praying it's a pinched nerve or pulled muscle in my neck or back that's causing this but I'm not certain. I'm just so sick of hearing about this terrible, awful disease and I can't help but seeing people with it in the media...
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:56 PM »
They'd be in one FOOT, and the muscle would be wasting away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »
That's good to know. Do you know if a pinched nerved or pulled muscle in my back or neck could cause these twitches? It makes sense in theory..
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »
Anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »
From what I have read, you are being extremely irrational. You are demonstrating classical cases of confirmation bias. You are actively seeking information that conforms to your belief while dismissing information to the contrary. How many times in the past, before you suffered from this anxiety, have you seen adverts about other diseases (any disease) and immediately thought it was "God" telling you that you have it?

I am guessing not many. You have probably seen tons of different adverts about various cancers and diseases but never thought much of it. And as a result of this, you may not even be able to recall many times where you have seen such adverts and dismissed them.

That's what confirmation bias does; regardless of how consciously aware you are of it, your brain will seek out information that it wants while dismissing information that it doesn't want. If you are constantly worrying about anything, whether it be ALS, cancer, a blood clot etc. you will immediately start to become more aware of information about these things everywhere you go.

For example, about 3 years ago, I started to read more about religion; I started watching debates about religion; I started watching informative videos about religion. I came across various atheists (Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris). One day I went downstairs to get a drink or something, and on the TV was Richard Dawkins and his TV show talking about religion. A few days after that, an interview with Christopher Hitchens came on the TV. Then, on a panel show called "QI", a question about religion came up. I was thinking to myself "how strange is that?". The reality is, I have seen many shows, many conversations, many questions and many debates about religion; I just never had taken in the information that much to think about it.

Same thing here.

By the way, I get twitching and have almost had twitching everywhere on my body. I had a twitch in my upper left eyelid for about 4-6 months (I can't pin point the exact date it started). I have weird tongue twitches (which actually feel pleasurable). I also have weird facial twitches (again, they sometimes feel pleasurable). I have twitches in my leg muscles and back muscles. Even on my head. As in sometimes above my ear and at the back of my head. My upper arms twitch a lot. Randomly, I sometimes (mainly at night) have body jerks (not the kind where you are just dropping off to sleep then you suddenly jerk).

As I typed this, my bicep twitched and both my calf and thigh muscles twitched, also.

We all have twitching stories to tell.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: