Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Trouble Sleeping  (Read 182 times)

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
Trouble Sleeping
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »
I've gone through this before and now, after a very long time, I'm going through it again. It all started yesterday when new neighbors moved in. I have severe OCD and the thought of people I haven't met yet, moving in was driving me nuts. Also I keep hearing noise which stopped at around 8 pm but it was enough to send me into a sleep nightmare. I took me forever to get to sleep. Every time I was falling asleep I'd think I heard a noise or I'd snore or I just kept waking up. PMS effects my sleep as well and I'm unfortunately in full PMS right now. I was having a full blown panic attack all night. Had palps this morning too which I had already been having from the PMS.

Today, the thought of having to face my bed is scaring me. The neighbors are also not there and so now I have this anticipatory anxiety that I might hear them return.

Any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trouble Sleeping
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:04 PM »
Go buy yourself a fan, place it on your nightstand and when you go to sleep turn it on the highest setting (don't let it blow on you, I mean face it away from you)  My daughter has that problem really bad, she uses TWO fans!    My cat started to meow once in a while at night and when I'd wake up I'd start thinking, "Oh no!  The cat's going to meow!"  I'd start getting hot flashes and nervous and everything else (not because I was worried WHY the cat was meowing, just that he was making noise) - it drowns out noises that could potentially keep you awake.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »
Did you try ear plugs? They have helped me sleep better, they could help you too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies. I actually do have a fan running all night in the corner of the room. It helps drown out noise well even though its not very loud. I might switch it to a louder one this summer.

It certainly is the anticipation of noise that is freaking me out. Last night I slept perfectly, all night and never even noticed when they got home. I never heard them this morning either when they left. Its just a father and his daughter but I keep anticipating a problem. Not sure why. I'm thinking about when they have visitors or its a holiday or they will get a dog, etc. I'm even worrying about finally getting use tothem and then they leave and someone worse will move in. Anyways, let's see how I sleep tonight. I just want this anxiety to simmer down.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
If you keep it right by the bed it will be louder for you.  It's hard to find a loud fan these days, my daughter gets mad because she searches for one and they all say, "New quieter running..."  or some such thing.  If you get an older one at a yard sale, they are great, and there is ONE that isn't too soft from Wal Mart, the Honeywell.  OR how about one of those sleep machines?  (yes, my mom ALSO has this problem along with me AND my daughter!)  She uses a sleep machine and keeps it on the train setting, she loves it.
So it looks like your anxiety with that is pretty common.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: