Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Best medication for severe OCD?  (Read 250 times)

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
Best medication for severe OCD?
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
I know different medications work differently for people but is there any medication that has been clinically shown to help people with severe OCD more than others? I have been on Zoloft and Celexa. I need something different. Debilitating OCD.

Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Best medication for severe OCD?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:39:25 PM »
I know different medications work differently for people but is there any medication that has been clinically shown to help people with severe OCD more than others?

Yes, both the SSRI fluvoxamine (Luvox) and the older tricyclic antidepressant clomipramine (Anafranil) have been shown to be more effective for OCD than other antidepressants. However, this doesn't necessarily mean they will be for you. Unfortunately, OCD is the hardest of the anxiety disorders to treat with both antidepressants and therapy being less effective.

There is some evidence that supplementing antidepressants with up to 600mg N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) twice a day increases their effectiveness. The psych department of the local hospital is currently taking part in a large scale international study to confirm the results of case reports such as Lafleur DL, 2006. I take about 1,200mg of NAC daily to reduce fluid buildup in my lung and while I can't say it has helped my panic disorder as this was already well controlled when I began taking NAC about 6 years ago, it hasn't reduced the effectiveness of the antidepressant either. I do suggest you first discuss using NAC with your doctor or pharmacist in case it is contraindicated with other medication.

Omega-3/fish oil may also be beneficial at 4-6 x 1,000mg capsules daily. To avoid diarrhea start with one capsule and increase by one every 3-4 days dividing the doses across the three main meals.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Best medication for severe OCD?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »
UPDATE:

There is some evidence that supplementing antidepressants with up to 600mg N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) twice a day increases their effectiveness.

I have just become aware of a new study which finds that NAC (or vitamin E) should not be taken by anyone at risk of lung cancer, i.e. smokers and those with some types of lung disease such as obstructive pulmonary disease.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: