Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: what is wrong with me!? horrible symptoms. Brain Tumour?MS? Lupus?  (Read 469 times)

Offline mrdave92

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
i've felt ill for almost 3 months now and have seen several doctors over this period of time who have ran blood tests, neurological tests and examined my eyes/optic nerve to which all were reportedly fine. My symptoms have gone on for so long and i experience them every single day even when i'm not feeling anxious or stressed. I started taking fluoxetine 12 days ago however i suffered very bad headaches after beginning the tablet but it's hard to tell whether the headaches are a side effect or a worsening of my condition. Prior to the fluoxetine i had stabbing head pains that came and went but since beginning it i experienced constant headaches that were very painful.

I saw my GP last week and told him my concerns regarding a brain tumour, he told me my symptoms didn't fit the bill for that and tried to reassure me. He changed my medication from fluoxetine to trazadone as he felt this may be beneficial. The day after stopping fluoxetine and starting the trazadone i suffered the worst headache and dizziness of my life that lasted all day, it was so severe i went to the ER and got checked out. He gave me some painkillers and migraine related tablets which eased the pain but it's still underlying. I again told him my fears about having a brain tumour but he said that this would be an unusual way for it to present itself and felt i didn't need a CT scan. 

My symptoms are so painful and horrible i have no idea what's wrong with me.

Severe headache
Horrible dizziness
Spaced out feeling/derealisation
Sharp shooting head pains
Sharp pains in my ears
Tingling under eyes
Burning sensations under my eyes and on my face
Tingling/pins and needles bottom of my feet
Muscle twitches in my feet, arms, legs
Loud gurgling stomach
Abdominal pain
Terrible sharp pains in my fingers, toes and joints
Shaking hands
Facial rash that comes when my symptoms seem to be at their worst (this really worries me as i have many Lupus symptom)
Hot tingle lips
Occasional ringing in ear
Eye floaters
Muscle aches everywhere
Off balance
Itchiness
Tightness in throat
Feel unwell and lacking energy/motivation/concentration
Mucus and small amounts of blood in my stools
Burning eyes
Feeling faint like i'm about to pass out
Not in control of my thoughts or actions
Increased aggression/snappiness
Don't feel myself
Sharp tongue pain
Tingling fingers

I really have no idea how these symptoms can be so persistent and worsening without there being something physically wrong with me. I wish the doctors would just give me a scan to rule things out, i've read so many stories about people who passed neurological exams and eye tests only to later find out they had a brain tumour+ i have many brain tumour symptoms which are being overlooked. I'm really concerned, the joint aches and pains are really painful.  The headache i've been having is awful too and i never ever got headaches in the past.

I have no idea what's wrong with me but the rash and joint pain make me think it may be lupus (not sure if this would show up in a blood test) and many of my other symptoms really point to a brain tumour/ms. Something in my head told me it was a brain tumour a while ago and i really haven't felt right for months now. There are so many signs that something more serious is going on but they keep being passed off as migraines which i've never experienced in the past or stress/anxiety. Could the headaches be a side effect of medications? what would explain my other symptoms?

i'm really frightened, i've read so much about people being misdiagnosed repeatedly with similar symptoms and i have a knowing that this is going to be the case for me too. I don't even feel stressed or anxious but my symptoms just wont go away. I'm having CBT sessions as well as meds but they're not changing anything

Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceTuesday

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: what is wrong with me!? horrible symptoms. Brain Tumour?MS? Lupus?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
The fact that your symptoms are all over the board (dizziness, abdominal pain, rashes, shortness of breath) really makes me feel like it is anxiety. I was convinced I had either a brain tumor or MS last summer due to dizziness, derealization, tingling, eye floaters, and finally had an MRI done and everything was perfect. Didn't convince me, since I knew that MRIs can miss TINY tumors and MS lesions, so I continued spending money going to neurologists, eye doctors etc. It wasn't until I quit my job and got a new one that my symptoms went away. Unfortunately, the problem with health anxiety is it manifests itself differently every time. I have had stomach pains for over a month now ,as well as acid reflux, nausea, lack of appetite. I am convinced something is horribly wrong as medicine isn't helping, yet doctors are not concerned. We have to remind ourselves that they go to YEARS OF INTENSE MEDICAL SCHOOL to learn what they know and ten minutes of googling IS NOT EQUIVALENT to this knowledge. I work in retail, I am not a doctor. I have been taking fluoxetine for three weeks now and it has not helped, still sort of waiting for it to 'kick in', in the meantime trying to hold it together ( I had to leave work yesterday from a panic attack). You say you don't feel stressed or anxious but you obviously ARE, that anxiety over the symptoms just feeds the symptoms and it is a horrible loop. If you had a brain tumor for three months without being diagnosed you would be dead. My roommate has lupus, and her blood work was always WAY off to the point they knew something was wrong. She lives a perfectly normal life btw, just gets tired once every few months, which compared to me makes her seem in perfect health! Looking in the optic nerve is a VERY good indicator for MS, as visual symptoms are usually the first manifestation of the disease. I also get rashes and burning when I am stressed, my whole face breaks out and my skin is itchy and tingly. The fact that doctors don't want to do a scan is a good thing! Scans give you unnecessary levels of radiation that can do more harm than good to a  healthy person. We really need to get through this horrible time, I hope some of that  helped.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
Thanks PrinceTuesday that was a really great comment and i really appreciate it, it's made me feel a bit better about things. I just don't understand the joint pains especially and the constant muscle twitches, i read with Lupus the joint pains are in the small bones of the joints in the wrist and fingers and this is where i've experienced a lot of my pain, the facial rash flares up badly from time to time too. My symptoms are more painful than when i've had diagnosed illnesses in the past. I've also read about people who were misdiagnosed and had brain tumours for many months and years. It's hard to be reassured when the symptoms are so debilitating and they last all day, every day.

I really hope you're feeling better soon and i'm glad your symptoms have gone away with the new job! if you don't mind me asking. Did you ever experience joint pain/muscle pain along with your other anxiety symptoms? i haven't really heard of many who get this symptom especially with the facial rash as well. Has the fluoxetine caused any side effects? it seemed to make me feel a lot worse
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Lyme disease also fits in with a lot of my symptoms. Joint pain, pain in ears without infection, tingling, headaches, dizziness, rashes, eye floaters, swollen glands, eye twitching etc. not sure if a normal blood test would show this up. The doctor checked for anaemia along with my liver and kidney functions + a full blood count
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »
You definitely don't have a brain tumour. As said in the comment above if you did you would definitely know it by now and wouldn't be sitting here typing this out. You have to remember that the human body isn't perfect and we aren't going to feel 100% all the time. Anxiety causes so many horrible symptoms which I have experienced in the past year as well. When you're anxious you're nervous system goes into overdrive and that's where all these weird sensations come from. It's also important to remember that aches and pains that you feel are all normal and I'm sure plenty of their people get them but because we have health anxiety we take note of every little thing and automatically assume the worst. You've had several different opinions regarding your worries and they've said you are fine.
I've been through the same thing this past year. I've always worried about my health more so than normal but It got so bad last year when I had a lot of things happen in my life. It all started when  I had a panic attack on a plane. Id never had one before so I thought I was dying it was horrible. Afterwards I had this constant pressure feeling in the back of my head, felt foggy and out of it - I would describe it to people as feeling high. I too was convinced I had a tumour. I would cry everyday because I was so scared. I went to my dr over and over again and he said you're fine you're fine. So I simply just had to move on and try and deal with it on my own . I started running and I found exercise really helped. The head pains sort of just diminished and then I didn't have tj
Anymore. My next experience was when I felt like I couldn't swallow and there was a lump
In my throat - I googled it and convinced myself I had ALS and spent a week in bed crying because I truly believed I had it. My dr referred me to a neuro to ease my mind - he thought my worry was absurd. After about 2 weeks I had gotten over this fear but my head pressure returned. And I have had it for 2
Months. The best way to describe it is a dull tingly feeling - sometimes like my head is in a vice grip. I've been to 4 drs and had a ct scan - they say it's nerve damage from the neck - it makes sense because I was so stressed and when u r stressed you tighten up your muscles - I'm sure that's what you are experiencing. It's a vicious cycle - we get a pain worry about that pain so much that the worry makes it worse. Do you have someone you can talk
To about you're worries? It definitely helps - gentle exercise, good diet, stay hydrated, avoid alcohol and caffeine, and practice deep breathing. Changing your lifestyle can really help things. I want you to
Stop worrying and start enjoying your life. I know exactly what you're going through but you will
Be fine. If you ever need someone to talk I will gladly listen. I hope
You're feeling better.

Also - I have eye floaters as well they are normal!, I also tingle everywhere on random occasions - also normal
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
thanks Rose22, that's very kind of you, i really appreciate the support.

i know that with certain symptoms they're due to me being hyper aware of my body and every sensation but the joint pains are really bad, they come and go. My blood test was clear but the facial rash etc. worries me, i have no idea if it's a stress rash or something worse. I've read that with lupus the rash is in the nose and cheeks but mine covers my whole face and forehead when it flares up. I can't seem to shake off the brain tumour or Lupus worry as something really isn't right with me. I've cut alcohol and caffeine out my diet and started exercising but i have no motivation and just feel run down and not well constantly. It's horrible
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
Can you tell me what you are feeling in your head?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
it began with sharp stabbing/dull pains that came and went but over the last week since starting medication it's progressed to a worsening headache. today isn't as bad as yesterday but it's still there. It seems to rise from above my eyes and all over my head just a constant throbbing headache that gets worse when i cough or bend over. My dizziness and spaced out feeling is awful too. I just don't understand it all along with the rash and joint pain
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
Look up derealization - I think that might help you understand what is going on. I feel the same way at the moment just cloudy kind of out of it. My head feels like it's going to explode and the drs are useless. at this point I've had so many tests done there's not much I can do about it. I think
Your headaches are caused by anxiety and stress. I am certain you don't have a tumour. How old are you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »
It's just the dizziness as well. Things seem bigger and far away. The joint pains, rash and constant twitching are awful too. I feel like my whole bodies constantly vibrating. I'm 21 year old

Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
I have that too. It's just because you're so anxious that your Cns is in overdrive. I know it doesn't feel right but you are not alone! It's so scary because it's out of the ordinary but all those things are normal. With regards to the rash is it just on your face? The time of the year can really affect our skin. I work for Clinique which is a skin care and makeup line. I have had a lot of people come in with red dry spotty rashes on their faces - for some it was diet ; one lady had to cut out dairy. So I'm sure that's what you are experiencing! Try not to worry
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
I'm not sure if it could be a facial rash as it seems to come and go but it happened last night when I didn't feel particularly stressed. I have a strange fullness feeling in my ear and my body is constantly shaking and twitching, when I rest my head I can feel it slightly twitching and jittering, the same is the case with my hands and legs. I don't know if this is an anxiety symptom. I just don't know if joint pain is a symptom too along with the aches and pains. My hands seem to ache with the slightest activities. I sleep really well and have a normal appetite that seems to have increased since starting the trazadone
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »
what you are experiencing are all side effects of the medications you have been trying... your serotonin levels are not in balance right now. I would not say serotonin syndrome nor stevens johnson, i just really think your brain chemistry is out of whack right now and I would blame the doctors for prescribing those powerful medications to you without teaching you properly how to up a med or wean yourself off before starting another medicine. Shame on them! So is the facial rash just really redness of your checks? That is from these meds worsening your anxiety and making your blood vessels near the surface dilate, thus causing flushing or redness. I think you would benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy. You will be fine, but you need to stay off those meds and not bounce back and forth between meds without weaning yourself. So, how do you go about retraining yourself to relax? I would say through stretching/breathing exercises, positivity, no caffeine, proper sleep, and basically just waiting for the meds to wear off and go back to normal. You will go back to normal, but it might be a good idea to talk to someone trained in proper techniques.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »
I think some May be related to the medication but most symptoms I experienced prior to them. I suffered the facial rash twice prior to beginning the meds so I don't think it's them. It's all over my forehead and face and even behind my ears on the neck slightly. It's worse after i shower and feels dry to touch. The headaches only really began after the meds, prior to that I had head pains that came and went
Bookmark and Share

Online CrazyQuacker75

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
Mrdave you know what else causes these symptoms anxiety and fibromyalgia, one of the main triggers of Fibromyalgia is stress and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Tags: