Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Does this feeling happen to anyone, or am I insane?  (Read 282 times)

Offline Sylvanas

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does this feeling happen to anyone, or am I insane?
« on: February 01, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
So last night I went to bed, and just when I was starting to fall asleep there goes a panic attack. But it was kind of unusual. You know how when you go to bed and start falling asleep your thoughts kind of get more abstract and disconnected? Well that happened like usual but this time I felt like I've lost touch with reality which led me to a full panic mode. I got up and tried to occupy myself, and I managed to calm a little, focus on "reality", but every time I went back to bed and closed my eyes it would be chaos all over again. I didn't have a fear so much of dying, more a terrible fear of going insane. In the end I kind of dropped to sleep since it was around 6 in the morning (the attack lasted for hours).
My mind still feels hazy and my hands are trembling even tho I am calm. I still have a feeling like I need to focus on reality not to lose it.

(maybe also worth mentioning I've started with my first medication 3 days ago; prozac)
Bookmark and Share
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fears path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does this feeling happen to anyone, or am I insane?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
sometimes Prozac can have an activating effect on some people with anxiety, I tried it many years ago and it was too much for me.  But that is when it first came out and I don't remember what the dose was.  You are definitely not insane, just panicky, they are different things and your mind is trying to come up with a reason for why you feel so bad, so it thinks "I must be going crazy".  For me it tends to me "I must be dying or something is really wrong".  You should let your doc who prescribed the Prozac know how you are feeling, perhaps a dose adjustment (I assume you are starting at a low dose) or adding a benzo like klonopin for the time being to let you sleep and counteract the initial anxiety the Prozac can cause in some might help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sylvanas

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does this feeling happen to anyone, or am I insane?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. This whole anxiety thing is somewhat new for me. I had panic attacks before when I was younger, but these ones are different. In most cases I am not scared of dying, rather I am scared of losing my mind. And during my panic attack I am somewhat able to think rationally, but my brain kind of "switches" into this foggy mode where I feel like everything is less real, and then I start to panic even more since my "main fear" is that I am going to completely lose touch with reality. I guess I was wondering if anyone felt the same or similar. Thank you for your reply and your advice, I appreciate it a lot.
Bookmark and Share
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fears path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain

Tags: