Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Mole Biopsy. Please help me.  (Read 282 times)

Offline Cozy813

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mole Biopsy. Please help me.
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
So I just had a shave biopsy done of a mole that I have had forever on my torso, below the breast, but it looked like it had grown in size and formed kind of a lighter circle around it. About 16 years ago I had 4 moles removed and one came back as pre cancerous. Since then I would get yearly checks and then some other medical issues came up so the moles were not top priority but I would always keep my eye in them. I dont have any idea how long it has looked like that. I am a complete mess. The derm I went to didn't really seem to care either way. She just said "oh yeah, the edges are a little odd" and did biopsy. Said the results could take one to 2 weeks. I can't eat, I cry all the time, pray and am beyond convinced it is melanoma and has spread to other organs in my body. I have read so many horror stories about this. My mom and brother have both had basil cell on their noses. Not from a mole though.
I know I have seen some nasty looking melanoma moles on the Internet. Is the general rule that the uglier and blacker they are, the later stage of melanoma they are in? Also, do you know if a general blood test would show any signs or cancer?
How fast do Melanomas grow?
I can think of nothing else. I have ok moments and then I break down crying in sheer terror and panic. Any insight and prayers are greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mole Biopsy. Please help me.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
I've had moles removed that came back as "dysplastic nevi" which means they could, but might very well not, become a problem down the line.  Once they took one off and had me come back to redo it and dig deeper.  I don't think what you are describing sounds dangerous, seems many moles are "precancerous" but that doesn't mean it will turn into a cancer.  Even if they do it generally takes years and if they get it in time its not a problem.  Basal cell carcinomas are completely different from melanoma and having that in family members doesn't mean much except that they should probably avoid excessive sun exposure.  I'm betting your results will turn out fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cozy813

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
Thank you so much for your response. It's helping me try to remain a little calm. This is by far the most terrified I've ever been :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
If it not completely irregular and multi colored than most likely it isn't advanced.  vou'll be fine, it most likely isn't melanoma. Moles sometimes grow, but even still if caught early it's very treatable, but let's just say you don't have it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:17:51 PM »
My grandmother had skin cancer and lived to 97.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
Welcome to the forums. I wanted to offer some support. From what I have been told and have read a derm can spot a bad thing right away, so if she didn't act overly concerned then I'd take some comfort in that. In the meantime try to fight your anxious thoughts with rational thoughts. Odds are completely in your favor that it is nothing bad. Also try to do something you like to distract your self. I like to play computer games to get my mind off of my anxiety. I know it isn't easy, but trying to lessen your anxiety is better than wallowing in it.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cozy813

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:19 AM »
Thank you, everyone for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate the responses. I have always been a hypochondriac but it had surprisingly subsided. Even when I was told 3 months ago that I may have had a heart attack. 36 yr old healthy female, who exercises and eats right?! It was scary but I remained totally calm in the ER and the weeks of testing that followed. I was really proud of myself. This whole situation however has paralyzed me with terror. I am planning on making an appointment with a different derm to have a full body check. I looked up reviews and found one that sounds to be very thorough and involved with her patients.Unlike the person I went to. Again, thank you and god bless.
Bookmark and Share