Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Impacted wisdom tooth extraction. Please help me get through!  (Read 377 times)

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Impacted wisdom tooth extraction. Please help me get through!
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:52:31 AM »
My dentist told me that it would be better to remove my impacted wisdom tooth on my lower left side because of the discomfort it is causing and the presence of cavities. He said that it would be senseless to put filling on the impacted tooth because of its position and the fact that it is making me uncomfortable.

I am scared of the procedure and the complications of the surgery. :(

My dentist said that he can perform it in his clinic and a local anesthesia would only be used. He said that a general anesthesia is not needed.

He said it's not a simple extraction as he will need to make a small incision on my gums and break the tooth into smaller pieces (oh my god, what?  :traurig001:). I need an x-ray of the mouth as well and I fear that he might find a mysterious growth in my mouth or something!  :traurig001:

I am scared that it will be too painful to bear even under local anesthesia. I am equally scared of general anesthesia as well because I might not wake up.  :traurig001:

Has anybody had an impacted wisdom tooth removed?

How long does it usually take? And how was your experience?  :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Impacted wisdom tooth extraction. Please help me get through!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 04:17:37 AM »
Hey

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed at once. Two were impacted but I had it done under general anaesthesia in a private hospital.

My brother though has had three of his removed in the dentist chair under local anaesthetic and he had no troubles.

It's definitely scary because its so different to a usual dentist appointment but once you had it removed you never have to have it removed again. :)

You'll be completely fine and you won't feel any pain. It's an absolutely routine surgery and practically every adult has to have at least one wisdom tooth removed at some point.

Do get a couple of bags of frozen peas though! Theyre really cheap and make INCREDIBLE ice packs for icing your jaw afterwards and you can always eat them when you're healed.

Edit: I forgot to say  even having my teeth out in hospital I was absolutely fine. One of my friends had his removed in hospital as well and he went to a bar the very next night. :p I don't recommend that, but it might give you an idea of how you'll feel after :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 04:23:32 AM »
I had my wisdom teeth removed (all four at once, one of which was partially impacted) under general anesthesia, and I'm still here!

First and foremost, try not to think about the procedure. You're having it performed by a professional, who has performed this same procedure gazillions of times. It sounds painful but, frankly, if you look at the surface level of most surgical procedures, they all sound that way!

As for the x-ray: this is a necessary part of the procedure. The doctor needs to see where your wisdom teeth are, how impacted they are, and so on and so forth. I know I had to have x-rays performed by both my dentist and the surgeon who actually removed my wisdom teeth, both the day of the consultation and the day of the surgery. Not a single mysterious growth was found!

I'm going to be honest, though. Having teeth removed does ache once the procedure is over and the anesthesia has worn off. I have a very small jaw, and over the course of my life, I've had to have around 18 teeth removed purely because there was no room for them. You'll be sore afterwards. Chances are, you're going to have gauze stuffed in your mouth and you're going to experience swelling and numbness. This is normal! When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I looked like a chipmunk for about a week and I had to have icepacks on my face almost all the time to try and help with the swelling. Was it unbearable? Absolutely not. Annoying? Definitely. (Honestly, the worst part of having teeth removed is the salt water gargle.)

I don't remember much about the actual procedure because, again, general anesthesia. I remember talking to one of the nurses about living in Chicago and then, bam, out cold. I woke up when they moved me to the recovery room for a few groggy seconds, and then I was fast asleep again. When I woke up and was ready to leave, I had a chipmunk face, no pain, and a prescription for Vicodin. My recovery was so painless, I maybe took two of those, and I don't have an especially high pain tolerance.

Local anesthesia, however, is a different situation. You likely won't be able to feel most of the left side of your face. If you have cavities, and you've had cavities filled, then you were given a local anesthetic. If you experienced any pain at that time, be sure to mention that to the doctor performing your wisdom tooth surgery. Otherwise, numbness is, well, numbness! It's a total loss of sensation. If being awake during the surgery bothers you -- or, maybe not even awake, so much as being aware of the surgery happening -- then ask your doctor if it would be alright to bring your iPod/music player with.

Whew. I think that covers just about everything? Again, I just want to reemphasize that having your wisdom teeth removed is an incredibly common procedure! There's going to be some swelling and soreness associated with it, so have icepacks on hand. Be sure to discuss the local anesthesia with your doctor! I'm sure he'll be able to give you much better answers than I have regarding the pain and the procedure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline selfdiagnose

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »
You have nothing to fear. I remember when I had my wisdom teeth extracted. I was completely out of it during the operation and the vicodin I was given made the pain almost unnoticable. The recovery time is less than you may think. Compared to other kinds of surgeries, wisdom tooth extraction is a walk in the park. If you are worried that the surgeon may make a mistake (very unlikely), then check to see if he/she is board certified. Go through the surgery. You will be fine.
Bookmark and Share
"It's called the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

Offline cutecat25

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:23:56 AM »
Hi, I completely understand your fear!
I had 4 teeth removed over a year ago (three were impacted wisdom teeth) and I was awake during the procedure, the only thing they used was the numbing injection.
I have very severe anxiety, so if I can do it so can you!!
What I did was I took two valium tablets, I also let the nurse and dentist know before hand that I had anxiety, and they were very caring and made me feel less anxious about it all.
To be honest it wasn't a comfortablee experience for me, but it was over in an hour.
I promise you can get through it, and you will be so, so proud of yourself afterwards!!
The mouth is the fastest healing area of the body, so you will recover very quickly. Also wisdom tooth removals done whilst the patient is awake, also help to speed up recovery, as the surgeon is a lot more careful in handling your mouth, than they would be of you were asleep.
So everything will be fine. 
Let us know how everything goes, thinking of you :)
Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:50:45 PM »
Wow, thank you guys. Thank you cutecat, tobito, selfdiagnose, gomubukai for taking the time to write those posts.

You've helped me tremendously and immediately. Last night I was so obsessed with the idea of having my impacted tooth removed until I saw your posts. I am going to print this thread and bring it along to the dentist's office with me when I am going to have it removed.

I assume that most of your extractions were simple enough because most of them were not impacted teeth. Save for cutecat, I believe.

Cutecat, I admire you for your courage and bravery for handling that situation. I do not consider myself to have severe anxiety and your post just made me more comfortable. Wow, they removed 4 teeth in just an hour? So I guess that only took around 15 minutes per tooth? Not bad!

Tobito, thanks again for the lengthy  and insightful post. Well, I really wound't want to party on the night of the procedure. Lol. But I guess you are right at how common it is and I should not worry.

I guess what is triggering my fear right now is the couple of news that I came across last year when two people died from having their wisdom tooth extracted! And the x-ray still scares me a bit. I am not really afraid of the test itself, but I fear that they might find something hiding in my mouth!

This is just anxiety playing with my thoughts, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:56:25 AM »
two of my wisdom teeth were impacted and infected and i was TERRIFIED to get them (all 4 of them) removed. i remember building myself up for weeks before the surgery, panicking and freaking out...only for the day of the surgery to come, and for the surgery to go completely smoothly! in fact i felt silly afterwards for having been nervous at all! i know it's scary leading up to it, but i can honestly say that if i had to somehow have that surgery again, i wouldn't be scared at all. you're going to be fine, and you'll feel so much better once those teeth are out, trust me. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
I haven't had them out but I think everyone I know has. Young, old, healthy, ill. No problem at all. It sucks but it isn't fatal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
Thank you corwin and lara. I'm glad that I am not alone in having IMPACTED wisdom teeth removed. I know they tend to be scarier but reading all your experiences here makes me want to hug all of you for the support. Thank you so much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
I'm with everyone else here in thinking you will be okay. In 2011 I had all 4 of mine removed, both lowers were impacted. The procedure was done in office under general anesthesia. God love nurses, it's almost like they have the ability to read minds. Mine was fantastic, she could tell I was apprehensive about the procedure and took extra effort to engage me in distracting conversation while we waited for the dr to be ready. I was done and out the door in about 30 minutes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 03:43:59 AM »
Hi clipper, thank you so much. I'm glad yours were a breeze. I actually have 2 impacted teeth but the dentist advises to have them removed individually so I'll be more "comfortable" (whatever that means!).

That was rather quick for you! Wish me luck!  :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: