Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Alcohol + Anxiety  (Read 262 times)

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Alcohol + Anxiety
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »
Does anyone else have issues with alcohol and anxiety? Ever since I started getting anxiety attack about a year and a half ago, my body just can't tolerate alcohol like it used to. I get a headache after one drink, and it makes me really nauseous to the point of vomiting sometimes.

Previously I drank like a normal college student. I'm just starting to treat my anxiety (second therapy appointment on Tuesday) so I'm wondering if this is another one of those symptoms that I'm starting to realize lots of people with anxiety get (like derealization and hypochondria--stuff that made me feel alone for so long).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Alcohol + Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:31:44 AM »
Drink can make anxiety worse. That much is known. So it you already have anxiety and drink it can heighten your anxiety levels. I know some people are fine with drink on the night they drink. The next day they seem to be bad with anxiety. If effects different people in different ways. But it still seems to effect people. Be it on the night or the next day.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Alcohol + Anxiety
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
Hi Sally...

I certainly agree with Cuchculan, that in most cases, alcohol makes anxiety worse.  In the short-run, people with anxiety that drink alcohol might feel better.  Alcohol is a depressant agent, and therefore can numb feelings of anxiety.  But this effect is only temporary, for when the alcohol wears-off, anxiety is oftentimes heightened.

Alcohol is also a poison.  It is actually a waste product that is derived by a fermentation process.  When you think about it, do you really want to drink an organism's excrement?

Besides being highly addictive, a heavy drinker will also build up a tolerance to alcohol, meaning that they require more of it to achieve the same effect.

The bottom line is that alcohol + anxiety =  bad news...

The very best to you, Sally!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: