Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Did you ever...  (Read 283 times)

Offline park682

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Did you ever...
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
Did you ever get diagnosed with your HA fear?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Did you ever...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Have to say that I don't really see a point of this thread other than to freak out people when 1 person out of 100 writes that he/she was diagnosed with something. Then ppl  will think, Oh, he/she was diagnosed, maybe I will be too, my symptoms feel so real, and there we have a freak out session.
Nothing personal btw, just my opinion.
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
I understand the feeling....it's just what I'm going through right now and the question I have in my mind. I also don't see the difference in asking this question and asking what the pain in my arm is. One in a hundred peoe would say it was cancer and then people would be upset
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
Did you ever get diagnosed with your HA fear?

I thought I had colon cancer. I didnt but I did have a polyp. My doctor thought I had mini strokes but I have chiari malformation. So no not exactly the thing I was worried about but I did get diagnosed with something besides anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
I don't see the problem with asking that question here at all - in fact it's been asked several times before. Everyone on these boards understands what health anxiety is as well as some of the things that trigger it and I like to believe they would take that into account when answering. :) 

To answer your question, a few people on these boards have been diagnosed with serious medical issues but the most important thing to know about that is I don't remember it was EVER the thing they feared most.

Eg there was a guy on here a while ago who feared schizophrenia more than anything and he was diagnosed with a type of cancer (very treatable and I'm not going to say what it was).

It's also important to remember that while we ha fearers MAY at some point be diagnosed with a serious illness. We are no more likely to be than any other group. :)

Also a few years ago I had a pain in my upper left arm that lasted MONTHS i even had an xray on it because the doctor couldnt explain to me why it was hurting. The xray came back clear and one day the pain just went away :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »
Thanks! I wasn't trying to upset people....I just have been thinking a lot about this
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »
I never had the horrible diseases but my GERD was first diagnosed as anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »
I think these forums should be an open discussion area for the most part, and this topic has been brought up before so this time really isn't any different.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
My biggest fear is lymphoma and someone on here was diagnosed with it....it made my anxiety spiral out of control!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »
My biggest fear is lymphoma and someone on here was diagnosed with it....it made my anxiety spiral out of control!

That's pretty much exactly what I meant before.

We fear diseases, but even if we ARE diagnosed with something - I've never seen anyone diagnosed with the thing they were afraid of.

So, by you 'fearing' lymphoma - it really doesn't make you any more likely than the average Jo to be 'diagnosed' with lymphoma. :)

I would be pretty certain that the guy who was diagnosed with lymphoma didn't have it as his main fear. That's the beauty of ha. We spend all of this time worrying and so often we have absolutely no idea what we are talking about. We think a few days researching our disease of choice makes us experts and nothing could be further from the truth.

It's a catch 22 really. :p
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »
No, never (I'm too afraid to see a doctor so half the time I just wait it out and it goes away - other times it was something REALLY silly or ONCE I had pressure pain in my stomach for 13 months - yes, 13 months!  FINALLY I decided to see a doctor, got an endoscopy and from the moment I was told there was NOTHING wrong that pain went away and never returned! 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: