Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety causing bad depression  (Read 337 times)

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety causing bad depression
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
It all started with anxiety for me two years ago and now I'm getting really depressed.... I have no energy I have no clue how I'm gonna play in my hockey game tonight the thoughts in my head just repeat over and over and over and over ..... I have celexa in my cabinet but if it gets worse at first there's no way I'll be able to make it through ... I can't deal with the mental pain anymore.... What do I do :( I have a bright future ahead of me and need to get through this and it feels like I have no control over my own mind ..... I'm thinking about dropping out for the semester there's no way I can make it through it especially with hockey ... What do I do
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety causing bad depression
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »
Hey Chris...

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through.  Certainly, you are not alone.

About 2-3 months ago, I was where you currently are.  My problem began with panic attacks.  That was followed with 24/7 anxiety, and then depression.  I have been on Celexa (Citalopram) for 10 weeks now, and I would say I feel 80-90% better.  Whether or not one begins anti-depressant therapy, is very much an individual choice, but it is something for you to consider.  Starting off at 5 mg might just help you from getting any side effects, or at least milder ones.  Certainly worth your consideration.

If you have any questions I can help you with, let me know.

As always, the best to you, Chris!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
Are you seeing a counselor? Could be trusted person you may know too whose opinion you respect.  The point is to talk over your problem with them and get another point of view, another way to look at what is happening in your life.  Someone who can help you take a step back and look at what's going on with reason rather than with emotion.  Having a different point of view can bring some peace as long as you believe it.  Anxiety/depression causes us to react emotionally and we get tunnel vision and it helps to have someone look at your situation more objectively.  Emotions don't last and they change.  Things don't stay the same.  You can get better, just might need a little help with it right now.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »
Thanks both for the replies...... I will do anything to feel better I don't care if it mean cutting one of my legs off (not literally ) I was thinking about starting on 5mg too...... I've dealt with a lot of ***** over the past two years with this anxiety so I guess I have to do something about it .... Being that u took celexa and ur doing better that makes me feel a bit better, how long till you started to feel better? And yes I have a good support system my mom rationalizes my problem too me all the time because she over GAD and an eating disorder without any meds or therapy but thank you too
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietycoachNH

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
You're not alone! Panic attacks and anxiety have a way of slowly shrinking our comfort zone and preventing us from doing the things we once loved. It's not uncommon for depression to follow anxiety as we lose things we love one by one, like being able to go out to dinner, meeting friends, driving to work. It's easy to focus on how our quality of life is diminishing before our eyes. SO, given the circumstance, it's not abnormal that you feel depressed. Finding a counselor, therapist or self-help program (there are some great ones online) that will focus on addressing the root cause of panic and anxiety (fear of the fear) will help you gain back your life, my depression lifted once I started addressing and making efforts toward overcoming my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
Hi Chris...

I am not a doctor, so please understand that any suggestions I make, you should run them by your physician first.  You could start off on the Celexa at 5 mg for a week.  At that point, increase it to 10 mg, also for a week.  When 15 mg for a week, and finally 20 mg.  Please keep these factors in mind...  When you start an anti-depressant, and each time you increase the dose of one, you may see some side effects, although some individuals don't have any.  When starting an anti-depressant, initial side effects usually last some two weeks.  When one goes up on the dose, side effects are usually more short lived.

Also, 20 mg is the lowest therapeutic dose for Celexa.  So, when you finally reach 20 mg, you should consider that to be the starting point of your medication therapy.

You mentioned cutting your leg off, not literally, but we will use your leg as an analogy.  Lets say that you broke your leg.  You know that if a doctor gives you a pill for the pain, that pill is not going to do anything to fix your broken leg.  Only time is going to do that.  Anti-depressants are like putting a cast on your damaged brain.  They take time to work, usually 3 to 12 weeks (once you are on a therapeutic dose-20 mg for Celexa).  What you will see is degrees of improvement.

I started on 20 mg of Celexa, because I didn't know better at the time to start at a lower dose, as I am suggesting you do.  I had some pretty bad side effects, but the side effects aren't going to kill you, or anyone.  On day 16-17, my side effects suddenly disappeared by like 90%.  After some three weeks on the 20 mg, my depression and intrusive thoughts began to clear.  At six weeks, I began to see improvement in my anxiety.  During treatment, it is not unusual to have a few good days, followed by some not so good days.  This is very normal with some individuals.

If I can be of any further help, let me know.

The very best to you, Chris!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
That seems like such a long time when u feel like this :( 
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »
Hey Chris...

Just like a broken leg takes time to heal, you brain is broken, literally, and it is going to take time to heal.  Stress hormones, like cortisol, actually destroy brain cells in the hippocampus region of your brain.  Anti-depressants help to actually encourage the growth of new brain cells in this area, repairing the damage that has been done.  This takes time.

Ask yourself this...  Do you want to feel just like you do now, 10 weeks from now, or do you want to feel like I do, which is 80-90% better.

You have been suffering for two years, so what is 3-12 weeks???

The best to you, Chris!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »
Yeah I guess your right lol.... I would be so satisfied with 80-90 percent better
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
Chris,

For me depression has gone hand-in-hand with anxiety.  Many times, the two are correlated.  Like you, I developed depression AFTER I started experiencing anxiety and panic attacks.  When I go to a doctor, they always assume the depression came first, but I don't ever recall the depression starting first.  For me, medication is a must.  I know many people don't like taking anything, but my feeling is, if it helps you get through the day and any despair, it's worth it.

Hang in there...many of us have the same feelings.

DL
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »
Chris I have to agree with everyone who commented here. I too had severe anxiety for two months straight and I honestly didn't believe my psychiatrist when she told me untreated severe anxiety can lead to depression...and that is exactly what happened to me. I feel into a severe state of depression which knocked me off my feet. It was really bad for a while. I fought the possibility of taking medicine until I got to the point of not wanting to live anymore. I started lexapro 3 months ago and once I hit the therapudic dose for this drug (10mg), 4 weeks later I slowly started to feel better. My depression started to lift within a few weeks and anxiety about 2 months. It takes a long time and when you're living it, it definitely feels like forever. It's not easy getting on the medication either (anxiety tends to increase a lot in the beginning stages) but it's worth it in the end. These boards and support you'll get on them is helpful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
Thanks everyone ....... If it's ok with my doctor do U think I could take a benzo till it kicks in I don't wanna suffer anymore
Bookmark and Share

Tags: