Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Googled symptoms, really scared  (Read 289 times)

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Googled symptoms, really scared
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »
I know you're never supposed to do this. But now I'm really genuinely scared. Help? I'm almost in tears.

About a year and a half ago, around the same time I started getting panic attacks, I also lost about 30 lbs over six months. Without trying. During this time I lost my tolerance for alcohol and cigarettes. Before, I smoked a pack a day, and I actually preferred straight liquor to anything else.

Now smoking one cigarette makes me nauseous and just the smell of alcohol makes me want to gag. I went to a party and did a few shots a few weeks ago (trying to be normal), and I vomited more than I ever have in my life. I just can't drink alcohol anymore. I also get very full after very small meals. I basically have all these unexplained symptoms that link to liver cancer. I've had hepatitis and mono before where my liver was so inflamed I was bedridden for a couple weeks. Hepatitis can be a prelude to liver cancer.

I'm so scared. I've talked to my doctor about the weight loss but since it has plateaued since then she didn't have anything to say about it. I don't understand why I have all these unexplained symptoms (and more: there's a swollen lymph node on my neck, and I get back headaches that I didn't get before). I just don't understand anything and I feel so alone and it's so hard to get a doctor to take you seriously.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Googled symptoms, really scared
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
I know how you feel. The symptoms seem real! Then you google which leads to the worst case scenario over and over again. I mean, weight loss isn't imaginary. So you try to find out what's wrong, especially if it seems like doctors are dismissing you. I'm sorry you feel like this. Most of us here go through the same thing, that's why we're here. Its hard to believe all these symptoms could be benign, or nothing bad, but most the time, that seems to be the way it turns out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline notsocalm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
The problem with looking up symptoms is that the major health portals are required to provide the absolute worst case scenario just in case you actually have it. While a bruise on your arm for example probably just means you bumped into something, if you search long and hard enough I am sure one can find an article that convinces them they have the worst disease on earth. If you are truly concerned about your health which you have every right to be, push for answers with your doctor. Don't let google frighten you. Simple tests (checking ALT, AST etc) can immediately rule out any liver issues. Stress and anxiety can cause digestion to slow, making you feel full more quickly. You can become nauseous which when coupled with alcohol can lead to vomiting. Please don't let this consume you any longer. I hope you feel better. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Thank you for replying. Is it really possible that stress alone could cause this?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: