Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: People with anxiety focus on the past or present?  (Read 143 times)

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
People with anxiety focus on the past or present?
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
Earlier I was reading about cbt. And I found a discussion line, can't remember where, that was talking about stop focusing on the past. Oddly enough, I have anxiety over the future.

I will sit here the day before I go to work and worry about what will happen. Heck, even when it comes to making phone calls, I'll worry about it until I've done it.

I know I'm not the only one that does this. I don't have any anxiety over things that happened in the past... I don't blame my current depression and anxiety on how I was raised or all that. But I'm assuming that cbt will teach me to see in the now moment, not tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: People with anxiety focus on the past or present?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »
Hi Kissa...

There is a saying that goes: If you are depressed, you are living in the past.  If you are anxious, you are living in the future.  And if you are at peace, you are living in the moment.  I don't know if this is 100% true, but it does make a lot of sense.

Yesterday, I had my first therapy session.  During this initial meeting, my therapist gathered information from me, to determine which path of therapy would be best.  She said we would definitely be doing a form of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  It's my understanding that CBT teaches breathing techniques, as well as teaching you to change your pattern of thinking.  My next appointment is in two weeks.  Did you just start CBT too, Kissa?

As always, the very best to you, Kissa!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »
Chuck, I had read earlier today in a thread that you were starting therapy. I'm glad to hear it went well. Unfortunately, we are losing our insurance since hubby got let go from his work. I just started to see a therapist this month, but it was for an eval. So, for me, its over before we got anywhere.

But, since I started reading on here that lots of people like the outcome of cbt, I thought maybe I would work on it on my own. So I printed out some of the worksheets that were posted in a thread, and I'm looking at trying to find a good cbt book that is for the patient and not the doc.
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
Hi Kissa...

Gosh, I'm sorry that you had to drop out of your therapy, just when you were getting started.  I'm certain that you can learn a lot about CBT, through self study.  The book I am using is entitled, "Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic", by Barlow and Craske.  It's the book my therapist recommended, and it's available online at a number of websites.  It's very easy reading, and has lots of positive homework.

Certainly, as I am progressing with my CBT, I will be glad to share with you, any key points that I learn.

The very best to you, Kissa!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: