Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can anyone reecommend stress management techniques?  (Read 243 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can anyone reecommend stress management techniques?
« on: January 28, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any good ways of dealing with stress, that works.

I had another terrible 'attack' today after a day of 'stress' yesterday. I seem to get myself worked-up over the most ridiculous things, things that never would have bugged me at one time in my life. After I realized I was getting stressed out last night I kind of calmed myself down by coming up with rational solutions to the problems that came up. And these were things that didn't warrant such a dramatic response on my part.

GAD has a way of turning molehills into mountains...and I realize that. Question is, why does this keep happening despite my efforts to not go there?

Any advice? Thank You!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can anyone reecommend stress management techniques?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
Hi CarrieAnn...

Well, certainly all the things that each of us are doing to treat our anxiety, falls under the heading of stress management.  There's exercise, dietary changes, getting proper sleep, breathing techniques, meditation, mindfulness, therapy, and medication, to name a few.

In just the last two days, I have omitted caffeine from my diet, except for that found in an occasional piece of chocolate, :happy0062: added Chamomile tea, and started CBT.

All the above is well and good, but your post, CarrieAnn, has me thinking of the bigger picture of my life.  My best thinking, regarding the way I interpret life and how I react to that interpretation, is what created my anxiety.  There is very little of the world, or our own society, that I can change, but there is much that I can change about myself, the way I think, and the way I do things.

The Serenity Prayer says: "God, grant me the serenity, to except the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference."  Good words, and not so easy to do, but well worth the doing.

As always, the very best to you, CarrieAnn, my friend!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
Love the serenity prayer.... Trying to apply that to my anxiety acceptance. Although a difficult task!!!
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
Thank You Chuck! Wonderful advice! It is so very true that our perceptions play a part in our reactions (anxiety). I'm working on being more mindful of my inner dialogue; and letting myself get upset over things that really don't matter is one of my biggest issues.

I Love the Serenity prayer, I need to keep it in the forefront of my mind at all times.

Thank You Again! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any good ways of dealing with stress, that works.

I had another terrible 'attack' today after a day of 'stress' yesterday. I seem to get myself worked-up over the most ridiculous things, things that never would have bugged me at one time in my life. After I realized I was getting stressed out last night I kind of calmed myself down by coming up with rational solutions to the problems that came up. And these were things that didn't warrant such a dramatic response on my part.

GAD has a way of turning molehills into mountains...and I realize that. Question is, why does this keep happening despite my efforts to not go there?

Any advice? Thank You!  :happy0151:

If you want a DYI approach, and let's face it, with the way most counselors are, it is the way most have to go: I would suggest you get the books by Abraham Low MD and read them carefully and see what he has to say about the little things of life working into big stresses.  You might also want to think about participating in Recovery International, which is peer support, started by Dr. Low many years ago.  Essentially his approach is CBT, but before it was called that.  The books were written many years ago, when people had "nervous" illnesses and not anxiety, but human nature is human nature and the way out or the way of control remains the same.  You can Google info on him.  Good luck.  It's not easy but it's worth it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline MoJoThai

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
I read a book by Claire Weeks.  She is well known.  Her work is on anxiety disorders.  I recommend "Hope and Heal Your Nerves."  She teaches you how to handle your anxiety.  I also do affirmations by Louise Hay and Dwane Dyer.   Good luck.  It will get better.

Mojo
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
Thank You so much!, to the last two reply's :) I will look into the Abraham Low book (books); I have that book by Claire Weekes, which I have found very helpful...thanks again--I will look into those suggestions :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: