Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So scared that I have melanoma! :(  (Read 799 times)

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
Re: So scared that I have melanoma! :(
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
I wanted to offer some support. Melanoma is my current fear as well, and it is a hard one to break. I'm not a doctor, but your moles that you posted don't look abnormal. I have an oddly shaped one on my arm that my derm said was fine and it's been there for a long while with no changes. I am near your age (23) and melanoma is pretty rare to begin with, but it is really rare at our age. Over 90% of cases are out of our age range (20-34) with that being skewed towards the higher ages in that range I imagine, make it even more rare at our age.
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Obsessed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
I have a mole exactly like your second one ! My dad even has a mole with THREE different colours
Seriously skin cancer is pretty uncommon and it's very treatable but I think you're fine honestly
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Excuuuuse me, Princess!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »
Thank you for your replies, everyone! Knowing that you guys are coming back with benign results and diagnoses really makes me feel a lot better.

I have had my moles for a pretty long time too. This one, at the back of my ear looks like this but everyone has been saying that it looks fine. Do you think it looks okay? I had had this mole ever since I was a child I believe. Here is a picture:

Also, has anyone accidently(or deliberately) picked a mole off? I have one close to my labia/inner thigh (I think) that I was regularly picking and about 2 nights ago it got picked off. :( I didn't realise it was even there. I'm worried that it could have been a melanoma mole and I will never know!! :(
Bookmark and Share
Video games help me forget about my troubled HA.

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »
It looks fine by me :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
I wanted to offer some support. Melanoma is my current fear as well, and it is a hard one to break. I'm not a doctor, but your moles that you posted don't look abnormal. I have an oddly shaped one on my arm that my derm said was fine and it's been there for a long while with no changes. I am near your age (23) and melanoma is pretty rare to begin with, but it is really rare at our age. Over 90% of cases are out of our age range (20-34) with that being skewed towards the higher ages in that range I imagine, make it even more rare at our age.

I have seen that the rates of melanoma suddenly increase at the 20-24 mark and steadily increase into older ages. Not to scare you or anything :(
Bookmark and Share

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
The mole behind your ear looks pretty much cookie cutter normal. I wouldn't worry about it at ALL.  :yes:

The fact that you have so many moles that you're suspicious of is a good indicator that it's mostly your anxiety wreaking havoc on you. The odds that you'd have ONE are slim, let alone two or three!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
The mole behind your ear looks pretty much cookie cutter normal. I wouldn't worry about it at ALL.  :yes:

The fact that you have so many moles that you're suspicious of is a good indicator that it's mostly your anxiety wreaking havoc on you. The odds that you'd have ONE are slim, let alone two or three!
Still hoping for that VERY SLIM chance that one of my moles is not cancerous. xD Thank you though!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »

I have seen that the rates of melanoma suddenly increase at the 20-24 mark and steadily increase into older ages. Not to scare you or anything :(

I get my statistic information directly from the seer site, which I would guess is either the most or one of the most reliable for that kind of information. Usually the higher risk in our age group are people who go to tanning salons a lot and things like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:12 PM »

I get my statistic information directly from the seer site, which I would guess is either the most or one of the most reliable for that kind of information. Usually the higher risk in our age group are people who go to tanning salons a lot and things like that.
That's true! I have read about a lot of young women/men who have had melanoma and they all regularly used sun beds.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 12:47:36 AM »

Sorry if they're quite big.

These are normal moles. Also melanoma is a very fast growing cancer so the mole would grow bigger within a few weeks and constantly be changing, you're fine, best wishes :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: