Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So scared that I have melanoma! :(  (Read 717 times)

Offline inksie

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Excuuuuse me, Princess!
    • Poke This Member
So scared that I have melanoma! :(
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:55:28 AM »
Hiya,

About 3 weeks ago I was feeling my breasts and noticed I could feel an indentation and also a somewhat lump(?) in my left breast. Of course, I panicked like crazy and scheduled an emergency appointment with my GP. She believed it to be normal but scheduled me in for a routine ultrasound anyway. Week later, had it, found out there was nothing to worry about and my axillae were normal.

SINCE finding out the lump and indentation in my breast, I have become 3409359% more paranoid about my health and continue to self-diagnose myself with anything that goes on in my body. :( Right now, it's about melanoma... I have A LOT of moles-- about 9 on my face and around 10 on each arm. I have moles that are raised and one on my ear that is kind of big, about 2-3mm. They are all symmetrical, though. Also, I believe that 0 of these moles have changed as I have had them since I was a child, but I can't be too sure.

I am 21 years old and have been looking up statistics and apparently the trend increases around the 20-24 year mark! :( I am so unbelievably scared. I haven't been able to get back to sleep and I'm planning to schedule another emergency appointment today to put my mind at rest.
Bookmark and Share
Video games help me forget about my troubled HA.

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: So scared that I have melanoma! :(
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:35 AM »
The key words here is when you say you have been looking up statistics. I am sure that doesn't help you at all. That will only serve to make you much worse. People can have moles for life and have no trouble with them at all. Your mind is taking charge of things and making everything out to be something it is not. This you have to recognise and only then can you begin to change how you think. Change how you think and your life will begin to improve. Keep searching the net and checking out statistics and your life will be one big long worry after another.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
So I went to the doctor's yesterday and he GLANCED, not really looked at all of my moles and said he thinks they look fine but since I have a lot of moles that I should keep an eye on them. I'm really scared about his judgement and worried that it could be melanoma because he just glanced at them and didn't take a good, honest look!! I even asked him if he could refer me to a dermatologist but he said no as it is hard to refer a patient if they do not believe there is anything wrong. -I BELIEVE- there is something wrong... two or more of my moles show symptoms of melanoma and his glancing judgement has not made me feel better. Now since I'm becoming more anxious I have now found a small mole on the sole of my left foot and everywhere I look people say the one's on the foot are the deadliest!

Has anyone else had to get a mole checked on their foot or anyone who has been told by their doctor that it is fine but found out it was melanoma later? :(

I really need some guidance and support.
Bookmark and Share

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
Post pictures of the moles you are concerned about, im not a doctor but it would help to see them. and to inksie : the "people" are saying bull-excrement, how could feet melanomas be the most deadly, in fact, i think they are the slowest spreading ones, since there are no organs close to them.
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »

Sorry if they're quite big.
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
Also noting that I have been itching around my tummy- belly button area but I also might be itching the mole too. I doubt it is the mole that is causing me to itch my tummy, but normally my tummy doesn't itch, I just randomly itch it for no reason lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »
Thanks for the photos, these moles just look normal, color is normal, undistorted, not too big, seems ok :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to look at them! I am normally not a very health-anxious person but ever since my breast issues arose I have been SO unbelievably scared that I am going to die... It's really taking its toll.

Also, about the moles, the bottom one which is on my inner thigh, can you see the little mark that is outside of the mole? It looks tan... isn't that a warning sign? :((((

And the one on my tummy... it's like a different shade of brown and part of it is raised (the darker part that is). I am so scared that I'm crying right now. :( I want to make an emergency doctor appointment tomorrow but they will not see it as an emergency and tell me to book a routine check up which can take over a week... I can't wait any longer. I can't believe he wasn't able to refer me to a dermatologist... Also, would my age come into play? I am 21.

ALSO to note that I believe I have had these moles for a good portion of my life... probably as long as I can remember.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
You are right that the mark outside is a sign of melanoma, but the mole looks perfectly fine in other ways, so i think its just normal :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »
I really really really hope so! :( Do you think I should go by my doctor's judgement and not worry?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
My advice is to not worry too much and keep an eye on it if it gets worse, but i higly doubt it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »
<3 thank you. I feel a lot better now. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommy2my4boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
I just wanted to tell you that I too have a fear of melanoma!! I went to a dermatologist just a few weeks ago for a mole that was starting to change colors around the edge. Also had a few other very large, abnormally shaped moles. He removed them all at the visit. Today I got the news that all of them were benign!! I spent months and months just freaking out because I was sure I had it and I've read all about the survival rates too. Ick! You shouldn't have to have a referral to see a dermatologist.. my doc just glanced at one or two and said "They look fine."... that wasn't good enough for me, so I called a derm and made my own appointment. Yours are most likely perfectly normal, but they can be removed and checked very easily. I now have peace of mind, for now... about this anyways.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »
That's so good to hear! I'm glad everything turned out to be okay. Unfortunately, I live in the UK and I am with the NHS. I don't have a specific doctor, I just see who is available but even still, we have to be referred to a dermatologist otherwise I would have to go private (which would cost me a whole lot which I probably do not have!)

I kept asking if he was sure and asked him to be referred and he said no, as it has become increasingly hard to be able to "refer" patients to a dermatologist as he thinks that the moles look fine... It really hasn't given me peace of mind, though. Ugh I hate this so much... I just want it to end :( I won't have any HA after this I know I wont... but this is really getting the best of me. I am so young, I am scared I am going to die.

Did you see my pictures? Do you think they look normal or did they look anything like yours?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommy2my4boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »
I did see your pictures. I wouldn't worry if nothing is changing. My mom's friend has melanoma and the mole became raised and veryyy sore to the point you couldn't even touch it. Yours don't look scary. Mine had all the characteristics of melanoma but still came back just fine. If something starts changing or hurting then go back to the doctor for sure, but most likely you are totally fine. I even felt that one of mine was itching constantly, drove myself crazy for months! Please don't do that to yourself.  :sign0195:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: