Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Need to clear up some confusion..  (Read 175 times)

Offline gvjaguar

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need to clear up some confusion..
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:05 PM »
Hello again guys,

I am still working through my ALS fears one day at a time. Being only 21, I never thought I would be worrying about something so serious. There is just a couple things I need to have cleared up about this disease - if I'm having twitching in both legs and in other parts of my body that can't possibly be ALS because it only starts in one limb? And even so, when twitching occurs its only in other parts of my body like my shoulders and back, these twitches aren't indicative of anything bad correct? I thought twitching only occurs after muscle weakness, but reading somewhere that twitches can occur before weakness literally scares the hell out of me. Thanks for any and all of your input. I appreciate you helping me out.
Bookmark and Share

Online emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need to clear up some confusion..
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Yes, you are correct. It starts in one limb. The twitching comes after the muscle has died. So, you wouldn't be able to use it, THEN the twitching starts.

I also read that the twitching with ALS is a slow, constant type of twitch. It's the nerve'a last attempt to connect with the muscle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Hey Emily,

Thanks for replying to my post.

That makes me feel a little better, this whole scare started back in early November right after I started working as a cashier. I began getting random muscle twitches in my feet, calves, knees, quads, lower back, and arms (to a lesser extent.) My left eye also twitched a lot in the last week after I would sneeze or cough, but that seems to have subsided so I hope that's good. I'm hoping and praying these little twitches here and there are nothing more than a trapped nerve somewhere, either in my piriformis or lowerback which is causing all this, possibly from my job as a cashier and standing all the time. I've also had knee injuries from sports too recently.

I keep telling myself I'm too young for this at 21 years old, I just have to keep the horror stories out of my head, but it's easier said than done. I just want to make sure these twitches in my legs, arm, back, and elsewhere aren't a warning sign of that dreaded disease.
Bookmark and Share

Online emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
I understand, because I have worried about ALS too, but my neurologist quickly brushed that idea off. He said I don't fit the age group (I'm 19) and I didn't present with clinical weakness. That was enough for him to rule that out because he has had lots of experience with ALS patients and said it presents itself differently.

I get random twitches too. Since you don't have muscle weakness AND your twitches are scattered throughout your body, that rules ALS out. Sometimes people just twitch. Anxiety definitely makes it worse, and you mentioned you stand a lot at work; that'll surely do it. That disease works quickly and you would probably have trouble breathing by now (according to my neurologist). Try not to worry. Easier said than done, though!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: