Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: High Cholesterol and Statins  (Read 266 times)

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
High Cholesterol and Statins
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »
My cholesterol is slightly high, always has been. Its genetic since my fathers cholesterol has always been high. He's in his seventies now, no cardio vascular issues. None of my family has had cardio issues except my grandfather because he smoked.

Like I have mentioned before, I failed my stress test but in the end the findings were normal. At first I thought they weren't but when they were explained in detail to me, they turned out to be fine.

I have completely changed my lifestyle in the past two years to a healthier one. I dropped my weight from 268 down to 190, which is what I am now and I'm still loosing. My A1C is normal and my fasting sugar is down in the 90's now. My blood pressure also has gone down to the teens rather than the 130's it was before. I'm just still a little out of shape because I have lived a mostly sedentary lifestyle until now. I have incorporated exercise to my diet change.

Still, my doctor has recommended a statin for my cholesterol. I haven't really rigidly worked on my cholesterol yet. I keep thinking that I can get it under control on my own or even if it remains a little high, my new healthier lifestyle and no other risk factors for heart disease should be enough to let it be.

I don't want to be on a statin for the rest of my life, which is exactly what will occur since my cholesterol will return to a high level once I'm taken off of it. I know because I was in a statin many years ago and that's exactly what occurred so I stopped taking it. Worse it was a recalled medication that killed people but luckily it didn't effect me. I'm traumatized now.

I don't want to take this med. What do you guys think I should do about this?
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: High Cholesterol and Statins
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:11:09 PM »
First of all, what were your recent cholesterol levels? Second, can you give more detail on what went on with your stress test? What was your initial abnormality that was explained away?

I do want to commend you on the healthier lifestyle you're living! That's great :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:47 PM »
What is your triglyceride number?   And what is your GOOD cholesterol number? 
There's a ratio that is used between those 2 numbers is a MUCH better indicator of heart issues.  (if your triglycerides are 80 and your HDL is 40 then your ratio is "2" 

If you do your ratio and it is UNDER 2, then you are excellent!   If however you do it and you end up with numbers like my husband (he has a number of about 20!) then the benefits of a statin would outweigh the risks.
Congrats on the weight loss!   Unless you come out really really high on the ratio, I'd stay away from those things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

Grumpy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »
Basically what occurred with my stress test was that I was unable to walk the treadmill. Because I did so poorly in the treadmill I had to have a chemical nuclear stress test and an echo/Doppler of my arteries and heart. I was convinced that I had a cardio issue because of the unusual ability to walk the treadmill. It was considered abnormal that I couldn't but the tests came out good. I have a slight heart valve abnormality, which I already knew about, but its benign and not progressive.

I can't remember the exact numbers of my cholesterol. I just know its slightly high but she told me my ratio was good and she said some enzyme or protein was present which indicated I do not have a cardio risk.

She wants me on the statin to keep my cholesterol from slowly rising because she has a seen a slight rise from the past blood work. Probably because I have been controlling carbs more rigidly than fat though I don't eat many fatty foods. I did find some products I was consuming that had hydrogenated oils in them and tossed them. I don't know if that contributed to the slight rise with time.
Bookmark and Share
~Robert Frost

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:03:29 PM »
She wants you on a statin so she can take another cruise...  (I'm sorry, I think doctors try to push pills for money) Just like what they do with blood pressure, it used to be 100 plus your age for the top number was normal, then it was 140/90 that was borderline, now they are calling 120/80 borderline!  Then it used to be a fasting glucose reading of 126 was pre diabetic, now it's 100!  They just want more and more people on drugs.  I would continue to eat well, lose more weight like you said you were still doing, THEN go back for another blood test.  I definitely would NOT take the pills (but of course you can't sit there and listen to some faceless woman on the internet!  LOL  But I'm just telling you what I would do)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »
There are plenty of studies that show there is no concrete evidence that high cholesterol cause heart attacks, nor that Statins save lives.
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
The decision to take statins is up to you. My cholesterol is a tiny bit off. Has been for years. I won't take statins. I don't think you should if you're near normal but I'm not a doctor. I've always had great ekgs, echoes and even the one time I wore a halter monitor. Exercise and oatmeal is really good for lowering.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »
Statins can be beneficial for someone with known cardiovascular disease, but with what you describe, I wouldn't personally recommend a statin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

Grumpy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »
Thank you for the replies. They say that knowledge is best in numbers and the consensus seems to be what I was thinking. I actually also got my exact numbers and here they are:

251 cholesterol
167 triglycerides
163 LDL
55 HDL
Ratio: 4.6
Non HDL cholesterol: 196

They use to be way higher than this, before I began my diet program. I actually began my diet program because my post prandial glucose had become very high so like I mentioned before, I concentrated my efforts on changing my diet to prevent the blood sugar spikes and I had not worked on my cholesterol yet. Now I am on an exercise program to at least keep my cholesterol as low as possible, even though because of genetics, it will always be elevated.

I certainly want to avoid the statin. I am having peri menopausal symptoms as well, dry eye/mouth/skin and the statin can make these even worse. I don't want to take it but I don't know what to tell her when she sees me in about four months. I hope that my next blood result will come out way better than it did this time and I can give her the "I told you I could do it myself" response and it will make the fact that I didn't take the statin not such a big deal but I don't know what to say if my numbers are off again.
Bookmark and Share
~Robert Frost

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »
You can simply explain to her that you're not comfortable with the side effects/risks associated with the statin. That you're aware there are risks associated either way and you'd still rather do without the statin.

I will also say, ideal LDL is 130, even with very dedicated workout regimen and healthy diet it may be a challenge to pull the LDL down 31 points. I don't say this to discourage or worry you, merely to give you a bit of an idea what to expect. Don't beat yourself up if you get a drop of 5-10 points instead, certainly any reduction is good. Sometimes some people's livers are just too darn good at producing cholesterol, no matter how healthy they are.

Additionally, your HDL cholesterol, your "good" cholesterol is just fine, so that's reassuring.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
My levels are similar to yours and I told them I didn't want to go on a drug.

My issue is that my liver enzymes are high and statins make that even worse.  I am already on BP meds, I don't want to be on statins too.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
Personally, I would take the statins (I've taken them for over a decade) if your body doesn't tolerate it you'll know very quickly and you can stop them with no long lasting ill effects.  They work very well and are well tolerated by most people.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gouldbergvariations

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
I would be weary if taking statins. Please look into higher dose vitamin c .
Just a quick study I will post, and this is using conservative dosage of vitamin c
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2682928/

alpha lipoic acid
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533724/

nacetyl cysteine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8108311

Basically you should be taking a wide variety of antioxidants for not just cardiovascular health but also systematic health .
Bookmark and Share

Tags: