Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: worried about aortic dissection  (Read 358 times)

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
worried about aortic dissection
« on: January 27, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »
I've kept my health anxiety in check for a while now. It's been a good year since I've had a panic attack over h/a. This afternoon I experienced sudden pain in my upper back right between my shoulder blades. Of course (like a good little health anxiety sufferer) I searched the internet and I am now worried about an aortic dissection since sudden pain between your shoulder blades is a main symptom of that condition. I don't have any other symptoms and I don't have any risk factors, but I just had to vent. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline Dragi316

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: worried about aortic dissection
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
If you had a Aortic Dissection you wouldn't be talking to us right now. Once it happens you bleed out pretty quickly . Most likely a back spasm
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
Two things here.

1. I, too, have a HUGE fear of Aortic Dissection and I wish there was a way to know I could prevent it.  I am constantly checking to see if I have symptoms of the various connective tissue disorders.

2. I know that if my aorta was actually dissecting, I likely wouldn't be typing here.  However, for me, it's not always the fear that it is happening right this second, but that it is about to happen.  I feel like my body is constantly warning me that I'm about to die.  So, Dragi, I definitely understand what you are saying, but for me at least there is another layer of fear that is going on there. 
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline Dragi316

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
I totally know where your coming from. Ive had the same fears in the past and they only thing that calmed me down was getting a chest CT Scan with contrast . The thing I learned from seeing a cardiologist about this is you really would have no pain symptoms of it unless it actually dissects.  Hope that helps :) Health Anxiety is the worst if its not one thing its another my current fear is Stomach cancer or Pancreatic cancer cause of stomach pains ive been having for a couple months . These fears are so draining
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »
I feel so lucky that I haven't (yet....) been seized with the cancer fear.  Of course, I would be very scared if I was diagnosed and there are a few that freak me out (lung, pancreatic, and brain mostly) but I've always approached cancer with a "I'll cross that bridge if I ever get to it" attitude.  I have no idea why.  I seem to be more frightened by SUDDEN events such as heart attack, stroke, dissection, etc. 

I read ONE article about a girl that had chest pains the day before her aortic dissection (young girl, in her 20s I think, like me) and from then on, I've never quite been able to dismiss the thought that my chest pains might turn into something.  One article.  Sometimes I resent the amount of information we have at our fingertips: )
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline hasenfuss22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
I have a heart defect. Just found out at a physical and I didn't have no symptoms. She just found a heart murmur and send me to a Cardiologist. Than they found the heart defect through and heart ultrasound. I am at risk for aortic dissection but I am always going to yearly ultrasounds so they do measurements of my aorta. When it comes to a more dangerous point they will do surgery. They observe it every years so this won't happen to me.
Not many doctors just send you to a cardiologist just for a heart murmur. I was just lucky she did. Since I don't have symptoms and wouldn't know about it. I would just drop dead from it. There is really not much time to go to the hospital.
You can always asks for an hearth ultrasound. Ask them also if they hear a heart murmur.
Bookmark and Share
extreme fear of cancer

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
Sounds muscular or GI related to me.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: