Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: numb chin/neck  (Read 442 times)

Offline Autumn78

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
numb chin/neck
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
Im new here and hoping for some feedback.

First of all let me tell you about myself:
35 yr old female
mother of 4, ages: 18,16,2 & 2 mos
struggled with anxiety on & off since my early 20's

for the past month I've been having issues with a numbing sensation in my face. It started off around my right eye, I thought it was possibly from my contacts being so  old. That maybe my right rye was working too hard and causing my face to feel weird. The sensation spread down the right side of my face over a few weeks. Not a complete numb feeling but as if there was a numbing gel on my skin. I started having sharp pains through that side of my head along with ringing in my ear, sometimes not hearing as well in that ear. I also had some light headed feelings & felt off balance.  It was really interfering with taking care of my two little ones & I refused to drive. I ended up in the ER to get checked out. All they did was a Ct scan on my head whuch showed nothing abnormal.  That gave me peace of mind until the numbing sensation spread to my chin and was more intense.  It also seemed to be better on my face but stronger on my chin area. I decided to do the big no no and google it. I literally googled "can a hormone imbalance cause numbness in your face". I didn't find much but something called "numb chin syndrome" came up.  Since the numb feeling was mainly in that area now, I decided to read on. Biggest mistake ever! According to this NCS your pretty much dying of cancer.  So of course all of my emotions go crazy and im non stop crying. I go to my dr who orders an mri to rule out ms. Mri is clear. I bring up this NCS and shes never heard if it so she isn't concerned. After days of crying over the thought that I could be dying I finalky relaxed a bit. Currently my chin is still numb but its also moved down my neck in the front. Thr numbness is scary but whats really bothering me is that my neck aches so bad. I've only found relief by putting something warm against it. Of course all these crazy cancer thoughts keep running through my head.  I cant get any answer's from doctors which is so frustrating. Ive been referred to a neurologist but have no idea how long it will take to see them. Meanwhile I'm trying to keep it together for my family. So scary to not know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: numb chin/neck
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
hi Autumn,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Autumn, if I've learned anything in the last couple of years here at AZ, it is that anxiety can cause any kind of symptom imaginable.  I know it doesn't really help alleviate your worry, but you should know that most symptoms are caused by some small thing and not a life threatening illness, which is where our anxiety ridden mind immediately takes us.  You will find many here who also have HA and can offer advice and support.

Good luck to you, and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »
I had this too. I also thought i had NCS. I had an mri and i have chiari malformation but the only time i feel numbness is during heavly anxious times.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Autumn78

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »
What is that exactly ? After seeing my MRI the doctors didn't mention anything at all. I know a clear MRI is good but having no answers to what's going on is so scary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
The back part of your brain (called the tonsils) are not all the way in the skull. It kinda has a "herniation" and puts pressure on nerves. Nothing serious or life threatening. Sometimes symptoms progress and need surgery but in most cases that is not the case. Its kinda hard to explain but you can google pictures of it and it will show you. Some doctors may not even know what it is. Actually the only person who knew what it was was the radiologist. I went to a special clinic to have my mri. You could ask for pictures of your mri or ask the doctor about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Autumn78

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »
Thank you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:59 AM »
Anxiety can cause those symptoms so It is probably just that. Even if it were to be chiari, it isnt a death sentence. :) your welcome
Bookmark and Share

Tags: numb chin neck