Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What do you classify as 'Muscle Weakness' ?  (Read 165 times)

Offline Baseball1221

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What do you classify as 'Muscle Weakness' ?
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »
Hi. I keep on bouncing back from brain tumour fears to ALS fears. Im 16 so i guess i have my age on my side, but i just cant ignore symptoms and i constantly worry as my sister is diabetic, and i feel like i shouldn't be living 'free' if you know what i mean (i.e she gets 2 needles a day and 6 pokes to check sugar)

Anyways onto my general question.
What do you classify as muscle weakness. Would it be like... Not being able to lift my arm and brush my teeth.. Or would it be as simple as i have downgraded on weights at the gym because i simply cannot do as much as i used to (5 pounds less only, but also consider i took a few months off since my brain tumor worries) I know the general symptom of ALS is muscle weakness. My one leg started twitching really bad by the side of my quad right after i use it. For example i would bend all the way down, and jump up and it would twitch like popcorn. Well, it doesnt do that anymore, but both legs and more so my left leg, are achy and i dunno if they feel weak, but it's not an ache ive felt before, like after a hard workout (im an athlete)
I can do most things normally, just walking feels funny, my leg feels swollen or puffy when i walk. Thats the best way i can describe it. As i lay here, both quadriceps are achy.

Does anyone know any tests that can self test for muscle strength in the legs?
What I'm asking: Could someone give me a test that i can do that someone in the starting stages of ALS would not be able to do?

Much appreciated.
Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What do you classify as 'Muscle Weakness' ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
With ALS you wouldn't be able to button a shirt or turn a door knob. 5 lbs is nothing after a few months off, if I take a month off I lose about 10-15lbs per lift I just have bad genetics in that regard.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Tags: