Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline HRB39

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
I think that is the whole reason for a site like this. So that we can see that one another are going through the same things and yet we wake up every morning and go on with our day. Its sometimes easy to think these things are only happening to "me", definitely find comfort in the fact that we all are, and because we are strong- we keep on going
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Is it wrong that I find it comforting that Im not the only person that gets this? Happened me tonight, my first episode in weeks.... was in bed, exhausted, and then its like a bomb went off in my upper abdomen, within nanoseconds it felt like a pulse of cold pressure radiating into my head and arms... that was 3 hours ago now and im still sitting here shaking etc.

i find comfort in the weirdest things. and knowing i am not alone is not weird! lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy813

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
I used to have something like this before. Whenever I would lay down to go to sleep I would always feel like I can no longer breathe resulting in anxiety and trouble sleeping. I do still get anxiety before I go to sleep sometimes, but I haven't experienced it for awhile. I hope it gets better for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jasmine27dragon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site, but the heading for this discussion jumped right out at me.....This IS my panic attacks for the past 8 years, this is the ONLY type of panic attack i have.
Eventually from nagging from family and my partner i sought medical help for my panic disorder and to be quite honest its just gotten worse from then on.
But i know how it feels to get barely enough sleep to keep you going through the day....or learnt to survive with no sleep.....for weeks on end.
I used to have 1 maybe 2 panic attacks per night for a few months and then they would disappear, like nothing had happened, and id always fall asleep after from exhaustion. But since starting the meds i have gone from having 17+ over a 24 hour period for about a week, to now just having one continuous panic attack from around 7-8 at night until I'm too exhausted to stay awake, then to top it all off i get woken up at around 6am with a panic attack, and then that's it, I'm up, whether I've had 5 or 1 hours sleep....... this has been going on for around a week now and the week before that was even worse.

Anyways I'm going to go and start my own discussion and go into more detail and see if anyone has some helpful advice, id just thought id let you know that yes a lot of people get these types of panic attacks, its just this is the only panic attack i happen to get.

Thanks for reading x
Bookmark and Share

Offline CherryPirate

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
I used to get this alot. I talked to my psychiatrist and therapist about it. He said that at night our bodies start to relax and unwind before bed. We start to get sleepy and we lay down in bed. What happens a lot is the flight or fight begins to relax and the brain goes "Wait! We are relaxing! No no no! Bad!" And so we wake up as soon as we fall asleep in a bad panic attack.

This still happens to me but it is very rare these days. (Mostly my time of the month if I am honest about it.)

I have never tried a sleep-aid or anything of the sort. I can say that he said if it got worse or didn't get better that we could try a sleep aid, but I usually deal with them once a month now and I am okay the other days.

Good luck. I really make sure to wind down before bed now too. Don't just turn off the tv and go to bed because the brain is racing. I have found playing a relaxing game about 30 mins before bed really really helped!

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jasmine27dragon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
This is the only type of panic attack i suffer from, which means sleepless nights, hardly anyone to talk to because there all asleep......you just feel like crap all the time......lost loads of weight, got depression, got agoraphobia....didn't have these other things before i started the meds.....just so tired x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »
Hi,

I experience this on an almost daily basis. I haven't really found a good way to manage it. I used to live alone and now I have a roommate which has helped a lot. I guess in my mind I feel comfort in knowing that if I need help or need to go to the ER, my roommate is there at the ready (Much to her chagrin  :bigsmile: )

I've been trying to relax myself a few hours before falling asleep. Things such as drinking some chamomile tea, light exercise, a comedy film or meditation can help. I have medication anxiety but I do have a bottle of Xanax by my bedside for emergencies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
The past two nights I've had extreme difficulty in falling asleep, which is unusual for me because I don't normally have any trouble, even when I'm anxious. I've had a lot of stress going on in my family this past week, and it seems to be the subject of my thoughts while I'm trying to go to sleep. It's like my brain is saying "You want to sleep!? You need to think about all this stuff that's out of your control.."
Bookmark and Share

Tags: