Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline nevertoolate

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
Hi! I'm new to this community. I've just started having massive panic attacks within the past 3 months. It has felt like some type of twisted torture. Last night, just as I was about to fall asleep, I panicked and had a lump in my throat as if I couldn't breathe or swallow. It was horrible - I had to go outside into the frigid night to feel a bit more like I could breathe.

I had a good, low stress day yesterday. These attacks come out of left field and are SO unpredictable. I also have health anxiety issues, but that's another story. Has this ever happened to anyone?
I took an ativan and it helped. My doctor prescribed me 20 at the beginning of this month and I've used 9 ativan so far due to panic. I feel like I have a freak out every other day... It's indescribable to people who don't know about anxiety and panic attacks...

Bookmark and Share

Offline Summer04

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
Hi!  I have had panic attacks while trying to go to sleep.  It's usually when I'm really stressed about something.  I'm glad the Ativan is working for you.  Is this a medication you can take daily?

Panic attacks stink.  I hate feeling shaky, scared, not in control, etc.  I wish nobody ever had to go through this.  :( 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Prodigy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
I used to get this all the time. I dreaded going to bed and would stay up until I could no longer.

What worked for me was taking Magnesium about 30 minutes before bed.  I take 400mg Magnesium Glycinate and it really helps at bed time. I would definitely suggest starting at 200mg if you decide to try this, or you may end up on the toilet most of the night! I try to use natural treatments as much as possible.

Best of luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline P4thf1nd3r

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:01:31 PM »
I have had this a lot. Just as I'm about to drift off I jolt and wake up and go into full panic attack.  It only usually happens when I have had a very stressful day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommy2my4boys

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
I completely understand! I have been having these a lot lately. It's like as soon as I fall asleep. For a while it was happening every single night, sometimes more than once. They stopped for a while, but last night I had one right as I dozed off. When I wake up I feel terrified and throat feels very dry and feels like it's swelling shut and I won't be able to breathe. I usually get up and walk around the house while drinking a glass of water until I calm down. Most nights I go to sleep in fear of having one.. so I feel your pain here!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
This happened to me last month.  I took a xanax, went to bed, and woke up an hour later having a five alarm panic attack.  Thanks Xanax.   :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline HRB39

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
Hi, I also have night time panic attacks. They usually happen an hr or 2 after falling asleep like clockwork. It seems to wake me up and I feel as though I can't breathe, I shake and tremble- sometimes severely, however this is usually when I am alone in a hotel as I had a major event happen, alone in a hotel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:08 PM »
Yes about 2 hours for me.

A few weeks ago I got so bad that for 2 nights as soon as I would doze off I would wake right back up with adrenaline rushing through my body and that went on all night both nights. Fall asleep wake up doze off again wake up again. I lost a lot of sleep that week.

But right now I go to bed and it takes me an hour or 2 to get to sleep and then I sleep for about 2 hours and wake up then it takes me a while to fall back to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Braveheart

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »
I'm suffering from this right now. I start to relax, then all of a sudden I feel myself falling asleep which jolts me awake. My heart starts to beat faster and I feel on edge. I also make a conscious effort to breath deeply which makes me breathless. When all this is happening it genuinely feels like your time is up. I laugh, though, because I got up for a pee, and when I came back to bed, my wee puppy was sitting up looking at me which made me smile, and as I type this message I feel completely normal and fine. No horrible feelings, no breathlessness, nothing.

Anxiety is a strange one!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Floridagal10

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
This happens to me from time to time.  Usually I have had a stressful day, and have started to relax that night.  Typically, I will start drifting asleep and my heart will start racing and pounding super hard against my chest.  I then feel like I can't breathe and then I really start to panic.  I don't take any meds (due to a bad experience) so I try to drink some water slowly, take deep breathes, or even make a cup of tea.  I also have found that the chat room here, and other distraction techniques help. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
i have never had this, but i usually get the majority of my panic attacks when i am asleep and wake up out of nowhere after like.......4-5 hours of sleep. heart racing and all. i hate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:59:47 PM »
Hello!

I think we can all agree that this is a common symptom of anxiety. I know it hapens to me a lot, and very randomly...especially when I think I'm having a good day. In all honesty, I think it's because during the day our minds are so focused on doing what's around us, or being distracted, so to speak...and at night, we're kind of left to wrestle with our worst fears, or the things that bug us.

Anyway, I took to writing in a journal when I have panic attacks at night. It helps me get a visual on my problems....and to be honest, a lot of what I panic about is stuff I have been afraid of before, so it helps me see there's a pattern....making it so I don't catastrophize as much. :)
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Offline d3vo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 06:09:04 PM »
Yup this has happened to me all my life .I don't think bits a big deal anymore because the anxiety attack drains me and I sleep better after I also feel like I'm falling out of bed before I fall asleep but that's just funny.the worst thing I have related to sleep is waking up and not being able to move anything just completely paralysed that one is scarry
Bookmark and Share

Offline HRB39

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
This really only happens for me when I am out of town for work, and sometimes I string 4-5 nights of only 4 hours of sleep. It can be a real drain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hard2cope

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
Is it wrong that I find it comforting that Im not the only person that gets this? Happened me tonight, my first episode in weeks.... was in bed, exhausted, and then its like a bomb went off in my upper abdomen, within nanoseconds it felt like a pulse of cold pressure radiating into my head and arms... that was 3 hours ago now and im still sitting here shaking etc.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: