Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline nevertoolate

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
Hi! I'm new to this community. I've just started having massive panic attacks within the past 3 months. It has felt like some type of twisted torture. Last night, just as I was about to fall asleep, I panicked and had a lump in my throat as if I couldn't breathe or swallow. It was horrible - I had to go outside into the frigid night to feel a bit more like I could breathe.

I had a good, low stress day yesterday. These attacks come out of left field and are SO unpredictable. I also have health anxiety issues, but that's another story. Has this ever happened to anyone?
I took an ativan and it helped. My doctor prescribed me 20 at the beginning of this month and I've used 9 ativan so far due to panic. I feel like I have a freak out every other day... It's indescribable to people who don't know about anxiety and panic attacks...

Bookmark and Share

Offline Summer04

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack just upon falling asleep-anyone had these?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
Hi!  I have had panic attacks while trying to go to sleep.  It's usually when I'm really stressed about something.  I'm glad the Ativan is working for you.  Is this a medication you can take daily?

Panic attacks stink.  I hate feeling shaky, scared, not in control, etc.  I wish nobody ever had to go through this.  :( 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Prodigy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
I used to get this all the time. I dreaded going to bed and would stay up until I could no longer.

What worked for me was taking Magnesium about 30 minutes before bed.  I take 400mg Magnesium Glycinate and it really helps at bed time. I would definitely suggest starting at 200mg if you decide to try this, or you may end up on the toilet most of the night! I try to use natural treatments as much as possible.

Best of luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline P4thf1nd3r

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:01:31 PM »
I have had this a lot. Just as I'm about to drift off I jolt and wake up and go into full panic attack.  It only usually happens when I have had a very stressful day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommy2my4boys

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
I completely understand! I have been having these a lot lately. It's like as soon as I fall asleep. For a while it was happening every single night, sometimes more than once. They stopped for a while, but last night I had one right as I dozed off. When I wake up I feel terrified and throat feels very dry and feels like it's swelling shut and I won't be able to breathe. I usually get up and walk around the house while drinking a glass of water until I calm down. Most nights I go to sleep in fear of having one.. so I feel your pain here!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
This happened to me last month.  I took a xanax, went to bed, and woke up an hour later having a five alarm panic attack.  Thanks Xanax.   :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline HRB39

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
Hi, I also have night time panic attacks. They usually happen an hr or 2 after falling asleep like clockwork. It seems to wake me up and I feel as though I can't breathe, I shake and tremble- sometimes severely, however this is usually when I am alone in a hotel as I had a major event happen, alone in a hotel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:08 PM »
Yes about 2 hours for me.

A few weeks ago I got so bad that for 2 nights as soon as I would doze off I would wake right back up with adrenaline rushing through my body and that went on all night both nights. Fall asleep wake up doze off again wake up again. I lost a lot of sleep that week.

But right now I go to bed and it takes me an hour or 2 to get to sleep and then I sleep for about 2 hours and wake up then it takes me a while to fall back to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Braveheart

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »
I'm suffering from this right now. I start to relax, then all of a sudden I feel myself falling asleep which jolts me awake. My heart starts to beat faster and I feel on edge. I also make a conscious effort to breath deeply which makes me breathless. When all this is happening it genuinely feels like your time is up. I laugh, though, because I got up for a pee, and when I came back to bed, my wee puppy was sitting up looking at me which made me smile, and as I type this message I feel completely normal and fine. No horrible feelings, no breathlessness, nothing.

Anxiety is a strange one!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Floridagal10

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
This happens to me from time to time.  Usually I have had a stressful day, and have started to relax that night.  Typically, I will start drifting asleep and my heart will start racing and pounding super hard against my chest.  I then feel like I can't breathe and then I really start to panic.  I don't take any meds (due to a bad experience) so I try to drink some water slowly, take deep breathes, or even make a cup of tea.  I also have found that the chat room here, and other distraction techniques help. 

Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything