Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Helpful Tips from spouses/supporters who **DO** understand  (Read 507 times)

Offline Jumbelly

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Helpful Tips from spouses/supporters who **DO** understand
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »
I wish a board was dedicated to tips for the spouses/support person.  I have a lot of experience as the spouse of someone with anxiety disorder. I have some good advice.  I also have my moments where I don't have the answers and could use suggestions from others. I can share some tips to help you be supportive for this person you love.  These are a few simple things you can do starting today:

1. At restaurants and public places always allow your partner sit where he can see the doors and entrance/exit points.
2. At movies try to sit close to the end of the row.
Let me point out that this is not related to claustrophobia, this is about allowing your partner to understand he/she is in control of the environment and means of escape. Sadly, it took me 6 months to figure out that my husband was not claustrophobic since tight spaces were the first clues of a problem (freaked out on Mission to Mars ride at Epcot). The REAL problem was not being in control of a means of escape, which triggered a panic attack.

3. Reassure your partner AND YOURSELF that the symptoms of anxiety are CHEMICAL and temporary. I'm not a doctor but in my experience I don't view my spouse's panic attacks any differently that I view my migraines. Of course they are unpleasant.  But they don't mean we are crazy, we take the medicine prescribed and we wait for them to pass.  They don't define us.
Would anyone else like to share some tips?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jumbelly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Helpful Tips from spouses/supporters who **DO** understand
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:22:39 AM »
Am I the only understanding spouse visiting this community?  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Reader8

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
I'm here, too. I have many years of experience as a spouse in this situation. We also always sit on the aisle in any show and preferably in the back. I've joined him in mediation and understanding calming breathing. But it's a never ending battle and I feel like I'm often overwhelmed. I'd be so interested to hear what others do to help with an anxious spouse's negativity, the glass half full view of the world. Also any suggestions about helping a person with anxiety parent.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sacrificeislove

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
As the anxious spouse, i would suggest holding your partner's hand to soothe them while driving or at restaurants
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:16:07 AM »
I think it's great that there are spouses who care enough to try and understand. I see how hard all this is on my wife and it makes me feel sad and guilty.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
That's wonderful that you're so supportive. I am fortunate enough to have an understanding spouse. My husband has really helped me through some rough spots this year.  Humor has helped us through a lot.....I think the humor has been beneficial for him to cope as the spouse of the anxiety sufferer.  I know it can be hard on him too, and sometimes poking a little fun at myself just gives some  to the situation
Bookmark and Share

Offline bloodshot

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
I've also tried to be supportive of my partner with depression and anxiety issues, but it can be very hard, especially when you feel they lash out at you when you're trying to support them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: tips spouse partner advice