Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Severe anxiety, recently released from a psych ward.  (Read 348 times)

Offline bu637

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Severe anxiety, recently released from a psych ward.
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
Hello, I briefly covered this in a post in the introduction section but since it has to do with anxiety I figured I'd post it here too.

I've always suffered from anxiety but it's never been this bad before, over the past few months it just grew and grew and grew until I was petrified of everything. It was a constant state of terror and panic. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep and had grown so delirious I was hearing voices at night. It got so bad that I was on the verge of doing something very stupid and on the advice of my therapist I checked myself into a psychiatric ward. I was there for a week and a half, was put on meds and was just recently released.

I'm better now but I'm just so afraid of things getting that bad again, I've been avoiding people and situations I enjoy simply because I'm just so terrified of triggering it.

Anyone else here had their anxiety get this bad?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Severe anxiety, recently released from a psych ward.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:30:30 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear what you had experienced, but it appears that your meds are helping you and that is good . . . what I would suggest, and it worked for me but I am not a med professional, is that you don't avoid situations . . . . but, perhaps you reintroduce yourself to them in small doses . . . .so, pick something that you like to do . . . . for example, going to McDonald's . . . perhaps the first time, just walk to McDonald's . . . . then maybe go in and get a drink and walk out . . . .then next time, get a hamburger and leave with it and eat it at home . . .then next time, get something to eat and stay in the restaurant to eat it . . . . in other words, gradually build up . . . . if you have a friend, perhaps go first with a friend but be careful, you want to be able to enjoy these events on your own . . .

You have returned home a short while ago . . . . so, try not to anticipate a normal routine in the big picture because, when I did that, it felt so overwhelming . . . .I had to break it down into manageable chunks . . . .and the chunks were pretty small . . . . .with your therapist, you should be working through your triggers and how to manage them . . . it is a process, though, and I won't lie, sometimes there are bumps in the journey . . . .that's the story for most of us . . . .but, bit by bit, consciously engaging in doing the work and you will succeed . . . . and, of course, if we can support you in any way, let us know . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline kina

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »
During the mid 90's my anxiety issues got that bad that I too checked myself in I was there for a week that was the absolute worst I have ever been. But since then I have long stretches of feeling good that's when I stop my meds which looking back I shouldn't do. Then boom my anxiety pops back up. I hope you continue to get better
Bookmark and Share

Offline bu637

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:16:24 PM »
Thanks, it's nice to know I am not alone with this.

I am getting better, just taking it one day at a time and learning to identify my triggers and my symptoms.

I just feel so helpless in it all, so powerless against it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: