Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Visual Disturbances - MY greatest worry.  (Read 886 times)

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Visual Disturbances - MY greatest worry.
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
Me again... Hi. I'd just like some reassurance really (And i know how much some people hate that)

First of all, i get migraine auras - not nice... but whatever. But over the past 3+ years i've had another disturbance. - And they've made me scared about TIA/Stroke

It develops.. but all of a sudden and one eye only. Vision becomes bad... like hazy. Sometimes i see flashy things... sometimes stars.. you know what i mean. They last about a minute? Ish. And then they are gone. Vision is fine. And i'm fine.... apart from vision, im fine all the way through.

What worries me is that they look different to my migraines... but happen after i've had a month or so of a few bad migraines (A correlation i'd say). I've gone around 5-6 months without getting one before... so they don't happen that often.

I've read TIA's main visual symptom is actual vision loss - which doesn't happen. I mean.. i find it hard to see and sometimes bits are gray'd out with sparkles. But it's not visual loss. But still, it's a worry.. having migraines, that these could be stroke like events? - After 3 years... i've had no lasting damage of any sort (Thank God)

I'd just like anyone's opinion - Do these sound like ocular migraines? Retinal migraines? Strokes? - I honestly feel they are related to my migraines (99% sure) but that doesn't help me much - With the migraine/stroke link. - I'm too scared to go to a doctor - I'm just not there yet - although my anxiety has been so low recently... i'm just too scared unless i HAVE to.

I've spoken to an optometrist who says the disturbances are too far apart and short in duration to suggest a "disease" - Again it was helpful, but i start to panic again at times :(

Any help would be fantastic! And i'm sorry if you've read this from me before, i know i can be a pain :(

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Visual Disturbances - MY greatest worry.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »
Ps. These have been known to be triggered by looking at a screen at times (once when waking up) or once opening the curtains after being in darkness. - But like i said... they happen seemingly after i've had a few migraines in a short space of time :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline eva1227

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »
I have the exact the same thing. I have always had migraine auras since I was a kid. Zig Zag lines across my field of vision. Last week I had my first hazy gray loss of vision in one eye. My husband took me to the ER because I thought I was having a stroke. I'm 51 and  was freaking out. The doctor was wonderful in the ER. They took me right in and ran a CT and a  EKG and did a sonogram of my neck to check for clots or placque. They could not 100% rule out a TIA because #1 I did not see the neurologist and #2 I was not having it as I came in.
They forwarded all the test information to my neurologist I've been seeing for years and he concluded that it is probably related to my migraines. He wants to do a regular MRI without contrast I guess to see the arteries and veins better, but really  feels it is migraine related.
I have done a lot of research on the relationship of migraines to strokes and the percentages are really low.

Hope this helps.
Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »
Hi eva, thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry to hear you went to the ER - must have been scary. Glad to see you're doing ok now.

I am worried though about these little disturbances. The more i look at TIA's/Strokes i see that the visual symptom is visual loss. Which i don't have. But the one sided thing has thrown me off - my migraine auras are both eyes. It's been over 3 years... so i'll see how i go.

Did you have any stars/shimmering with your visual disturbance? - That's the main thing that makes me think it's migraine related. Mine often has stars with it. (I see stars fly past my vision at the best of times....)

Thanks for the reply :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
I'm feeling so trapped right now... i can't shake the idea that i'm having some sort of mini strokes or something similar.

I really do need some help..... please. So much fear- i haven't felt this bad in ages.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
I always went by the idea that if something was only in ONE eye that it was the eye... in BOTH eyes it comes from the brain (like migraine auras are from the brain that is why you see them in both eyes (like the zig zag flickering would be on the right side of the right eye and on the right side of the left eye) - a stroke would be from the brain and would be present in BOTH eyes.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
Hey sunlover, thanks for the help.

I've also always gone by this one eye = eye two = brain thing. But isn't stroke one sided? That's what gets me.

I've had another quick google and it seems that visual TIA consists of visual loss (negative) mine have stars and some shimmer with some grey (positive) - It's helped.

The fact that they happen after a bout of migraines does make me think they are linked... but it's the one eye thing that throws me off... why one eye?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »
Also... do all migraine auras (visual) have to have scintillating scotomas? (expanding shiny thing) - if not.. these might be just another type of migraine i get.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:46:31 PM »
I don't know if migraine auras present in all different ways - but I would think it would be both eyes.  Maybe it's just your retina (are you VERY near sighted?   If so, are you over 40?) When the vitreous pulls on the retina all sorts of weird things happen (take it from someone who has HAD all sorts of weird things happen!  What you described (the gray with the stars and the shimmer happened to my left eye in 2004.  It has improved but never got better (it was posterior vitreous detachment, nothing serious, nothing sight threatening)   Maybe your vitreous is pulling but never detaching. (don't confuse this with detached retina, it's 2 different things!) This is just MY idea being that that gray with sparkles sounded just like my PVD)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Hey sunlover thanks again,

I'm only 22! but i know PVD isn't so serious. Maybe it is that? I do get stars in my vision a lot. Just that float past. And i have perfect eyesight.... no problems that i'm aware of. Maybe my migraines irritate my retina a bit? Or the muscles around my eye? But again, just the one! Maybe it's my weaker eye?

It has been triggered by screens/light in the past... so maybe its my viterous.

Thank you so much. Just talking to someone really helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 03:31:56 AM »
Hi Davy!
You might remember I have similar visual disturbances. I'm sure yours are harmless, you say yourself that you haven't had any permanent damage after all. Therapy has helped me immensely - I started last spring, when I was scared and tense all the time. I realized these symptoms are a powerful signal that - psychologically - something isn't right, that I've neglected my well-being and tried to ignore some problems I had. Guess what, now my visual symptoms have subdued. They're not gone completely but the difference with one year ago is amazing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eva1227

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »
My usual auras are atypical. They are zigzag lines that move across my field of vision. They are in both eyes. The one I had 10 days ago was only in my left eye. That is why I went to the ER. He still said that it was probably a migraine, as no stroke was seen on any test. TIA's cannot unfortunately be seen on any test unless they test you while you're having them, but they said that the aura can definitely be in one eye only.

He did say that if it was related to my vision, it would not have corrected itself, but that I could have my vision checked just to make sure.

Migraines are complicated and the auras can be very scary. I have a great neurologist who has alleviated a lot of the myths that people have about them.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
Thanks for all your great replys

I am still concerned as to what they actually are. But here's the thing if i close and slightly push down on my eye then open it - That's SO similar to what i see..... It's like phsophenes? 

I don't know... i hope my eyes are ok. My vision seems to be perfect on a day-to-day basis. And these happen after a bad time with migraines (my migraines often come in clusters over a few weeks)

So i'd say there is a link.... Could it be my eye muscles weak after numerous auras? Eye strain/fatigue from migraines? It's off that if i push on my eye i get the same sensation. I'm slightly worried about my Retina now!

Ohhhhh i never ends.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:44 AM »
But I don't think eye strain damages the muscles, let alone the retina. Remember, diseases of the retina usually happen at an old age (and most are treatable).
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:18 AM »
I get ocular migraines with aura and they are very common. It has nothing to do with your eye, it is actually pressure in your veins due to rapid constriction/dilation out of the norm due to hormones, stress effect on hormones, blood pressure, smoking, eating, stuff like that. I've even had 3 within a few hours before. It is nothing of concern. No pathological process is going on. Women tend to get them more around their cycle due to shift in prostaglandins. The first time it happened to me i thought my retina was detaching. I had my eyes checked a few times and all good, i just have strong vitreomacular traction but the doc says as long as i don't do contact sports then i don't need surgery. If i was a high risk to get hit in the head, then he would say get surgery, where they zap the muscles so they don't separate, but im not even worried about it. That has nothing to do with the migraines though, other than maybe causing an actual eye strain headache if the muscles get sore cause i strain on the computer if i don't wear my glasses (but i don't know that for sure that's just my theory). ALso, you could have a strong vasovagal response... so just when you go from sitting to standing take a few seconds to catch your balance. IF you sit for too long, make sure to get up every once in a while to stretch so your veins have time to adjust to pressure changes as the body goes from sitting to standing to laying down and stuff like that. None of that stuff is a disease... it's just normal fluctuations of body pressure. So you seem pretty normal to me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: migraine TIA Stroke vision