Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 1st time acupuncture for anxiety  (Read 188 times)

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
1st time acupuncture for anxiety
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
Hi all. I tried acupuncture for the first time yesterday for easing my anxiety and some back pain I have. I felt relaxed when I was actually going through the acupuncture process, but as the day wore on, my anxiety (and back pain) became worse. I felt like garbage all night and only got 3 hours of sleep because of anxiety. I have never experienced insomnia before from anxiety. Does anyone have any experience with acupuncture for anxiety? Did your symptoms get worse at first? Thanks for any info.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: 1st time acupuncture for anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
Hi all. I tried acupuncture for the first time yesterday for easing my anxiety and some back pain I have. I felt relaxed when I was actually going through the acupuncture process, but as the day wore on, my anxiety (and back pain) became worse. I felt like garbage all night and only got 3 hours of sleep because of anxiety. I have never experienced insomnia before from anxiety. Does anyone have any experience with acupuncture for anxiety? Did your symptoms get worse at first? Thanks for any info.

I tried acupuncture over several months, so I had quite a few sessions.  For me, I thought the acupuncture looked really interesting, since it incorporated ancient Chinese medicine and their concept of chi (life energy) which seems to be released by using needles at specific energy points on the body.

Despite my time and fascination with acupuncture, it never cured my anxiety disorder, although I will admit I did feel some relief after my sessions, but that relief wasn't long lasting, because the anxiety symptoms came back. Maybe if I did acupuncture every day, this may have led to a better outcome, but it's not feasible for me, economically, and I would wonder why the acupuncturist couldn't alleviate my anxiety disorder after so many, consecutive sessions.

In my opinion, use the money you were planning to spend on acupuncture, and instead, spend it on taking your wife and yourself to a really nice, pricey restaurant.  In fact, buy new clothes for two of you for the occasion. You'll have a wonderful evening for that one night, and you'll get the same benefit from acupuncture in terms of relieving your anxiety.   At least with the dinner, you'll know the feeling won't last forever after that one night, and you'll have gained something more satisfying and economical with your money.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 1st time acupuncture for anxiety
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
I have been doing acupuncture for a bit over two years for GAD and other issues.
It took some time for me to actually feel the benefits of acupuncture and I don't always feel the same after every session.
I feel I am getting a lot out of it though.
I do not want to take medication and this has helped me tremendously.
Each person is different though because my sister did acupuncture with the same person and well her experience was different. She does not go on a regular basis but she does go when she feels the need.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: