Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 291 times)

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Earthquake
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:51:21 PM »
Hey guys, I'm having a panic attack because I recently moved to Vancouver (Earthquake prone) and I'm on the 4th floor of a condo built out of wood in 1998. I thought about what to do in case of an Earth Quake because I've never been somewhere where that's a possibility before so I googled it and now I'm really panicked, lots of different info and also I'm afraid my building is not sturdy and I'm just freaking out (trying to calm myself down.) I know we are over due for a big quake here and I've never even experienced a little one and i'm just very scared. If anyone knows what to do or has words of encouragement I just need help calming down right now.  :dazed: :dazed: :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Laura48310

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
That's is a scary thing to think about. I've never experienced one myself but doing your research on how to prepare and what to do durring one should put your mind at ease somewhat. I know its easier said than done but maybe you should try to move to another building that is more up to code with earthquake possibilities. Hugs to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sasha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
I'm in the same earthquake zone that you're in. I also worry about this at times, and it's scary to think about. I do my best to remind myself that there's a good chance it won't even happen in our lifetime, and even if it did, our chances of survival are still good. I'm also about to order the book "The Signal and the Noise" to help understand the nature of these "predictions". In all honesty we just don't know when it's gonna happen, to say that it's "overdue" is probably simplifying things.

If it makes you feel any better, a building made out of wood is much more earthquake resistant then some other types of building materials. Also, a building made in 1998 is also much more recent then a lot of other homes and apartments, so I would imagine the building codes to be significantly more recent then the average building. At least that would be true for where I live. For myself though, I would like to find a single story wood frame house because I would feel more comfortable, so I'm working towards that.

Just keep in mind that if we're calculating overall risk, every part of the country is prone to natural threats of some kind (flood, tornado/hurricane, volcanoes, bugs, sink holes, lighting, freezing/power outages, heat wave, etc), and our area doesn't really have a lot of those risks, so I imagine it all kind of evens out. Basically, in terms of areas with natural threats we could do much worse; a potential threat (or to put it nicely, non-ideal conditions) of some kind will be present anywhere in the world. Most people who live in this region find that the benefits outweigh any risks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
I live on the coast a couple blocks from the ocean, so I think about tsunamis. There's a hill about a half mile from my house, and the experts say you have about a half an hour to get to high ground, so there's plenty of time to get to that hill from my house, that's if the roads are driveable. I really should walk there one of these days to see how long it takes to get there by foot.

The freaky thing is to get to the hill you actually have to drive closer to the ocean before you reach the hill.

In my truck I have a tsunami kit.

I guess the experts say there is a 1 in 50 chance there is going to be a major earthquake and tsunami in the next ten years where I live.  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Tags: