Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Googling/message boards  (Read 276 times)

Offline Sassygirlj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Googling/message boards
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:23:27 PM »
I need someone to just tell me to stop googling!! My latest obsession is breast cancer because I have my annual appointment next week. I found a spot in my breast that is a bit indented (at least to my eyes) and I can't stop torturing myself with googling and reading breast cancer boards. Everything I found says dimple means cancer. I can't concentrate or pay attention to my two year old because I have myself in a tizzy. I was doing so much better before I took myself off of lexapro. Now I've been a complete mess again...sigh...

Just looking for some support..
Bookmark and Share

Offline anagargano

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Googling/message boards
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Stop googling......I know exactly how you feel I do the same thing...and just get myself into huge mess where I am not capable of thinking about anything else ...its a huge curse for us ..googling ...hate it.......stop....wish i could
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »
WOW!!!   I am i the same boat you are, except my health worry right now is MS!!  I am googling like a mad woman and driving everyone around me crazy!   Of course I am 55 and have only a 20% at this age of onset of MS, it's 95% menopause symptoms probably (buzzing, tingling in leg, foot or hand or chills in my legs)  OR it could be anxiety because I''m freaking out, or it could be compressed nerves because I do drive a lot (a school bus)  - but no...   to ME it's MS.  I totally understand what you are feeling!  You can't think, you can't concentrate, you can't enjoy anything because that worry is forefront in your mind, blocking out ANYTHING else.  (depending where that "indent" is it could just be a shadow, I've had that too! Try looking at it from a different angle, or try to make the skin smooth over that area by pulling on it somehow - hard to explain what I mean)
I TRY not to google, but I start getting so nervous I jump up, run to the computer and think, "OK, I'll just google this ONE thing and it will make me feel better"  If I find 100 things that say it's menopause or anxiety I keep googling until I find an MS site then I get depressed and make everyone's life around me miserable.   Oh do I understand!!
How about we both go ALL day tomorrow without googling!  Let's see who wins! :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
I need someone to just tell me to stop googling!! My latest obsession is breast cancer because I have my annual appointment next week. I found a spot in my breast that is a bit indented (at least to my eyes) and I can't stop torturing myself with googling and reading breast cancer boards. Everything I found says dimple means cancer. I can't concentrate or pay attention to my two year old because I have myself in a tizzy. I was doing so much better before I took myself off of lexapro. Now I've been a complete mess again...sigh...

Just looking for some support..

Tell yourself. :)

You know how much panic googling is capable of causing and the the cons ABSOLUTELY outweigh any benefit you could possibly get from it.

You could always have had that dimple without ever noticing it before. Google does not come up with accurate search results where health is concerned.

I know waiting is rough. But googling symptoms etc will only scare you more and make the wait harder.

If you hadn't spent so much time googling this week would you feel better (less anxious) than you do now? Absolutely. It makes sense then that if you keep googling you will just make yourself even MORE anxious :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sassygirlj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »
Thanks all.

Sunlover--I will do my best!! I just 'smoothed' over the area and it goes away. I don't know what that means! I guess if it was something extremely dangerous it would always be there! Thanks for the support and let's both try to enjoy our Sunday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
I'm in the same boat except with blood clots! I keep googling my symptoms and stories online and my boyfriend looks at me like Im crazy for doing it because it just spikes my anxiety! I've cut back but its so hard! Any little pain or thought makes me run to google. If I ever want to kick the anxiety I really have to stop doing that...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »
Google does not come up with accurate search results where health is concerned.

Gomubukai, you have helped me with that sentence more than you could know - I know you were trying to help the original poster, but you helped me.
(right NOW anyway!   I am going to keep this in mind, because it's true!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
Thanks all.

Sunlover--I will do my best!! I just 'smoothed' over the area and it goes away. I don't know what that means! I guess if it was something extremely dangerous it would always be there! Thanks for the support and let's both try to enjoy our Sunday.

If it went away then there's nothing under there causing the dimple.   Hence there can't be any cancer or lump there.  (OK, so far I haven't googled...
LOL!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
Google does not come up with accurate search results where health is concerned.

Gomubukai, you have helped me with that sentence more than you could know - I know you were trying to help the original poster, but you helped me.
(right NOW anyway!   I am going to keep this in mind, because it's true!)

This really makes a lot of sense....thanks for posting it! I have been googling blood clot and when I try to ask google questions, it just tells me stories of all these people dying! And all I would ask is it normal to have one leg slighly larger than the other? It's crazy how those results come up!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 08:28:34 PM »
It's hard not to do, isn't it?  Especially when you have a test looming.  My issue right now is that I actually have high readings on my liver and I feel that my doctor isn't taking it seriously.  My anxiety is actually under control right now, but i'm googling all sorts of liver sites now that the ER doc told me that levels were so high.

I knew they were high, and now they are higher, so freaking a bit.  I googled Primary Biliary cirrohhis because my mom had that and found it is hereditary in some cases (mother to daughter)

didn't need to see that, actually.

Thing is, I have an actual concern and I'm still revving myself up in ways that aren't good for me.  I can't change TODAY what is happening to me.  I can only wait and see what the tests say and move on from there. 

All googling does is give you the worse case scenarios and link up all the crazy stuff in our heads that is going on.

its wild, too, because nobody said I have PBC, but they did say I have a tumor in my uterus (fibroid) but still.  I actually KNOW I have that and that isn't concerning me in the least....see how wacked we can be?
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline Sassygirlj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
Ok I haven't googled since I posted but I am constantly checking!!!! What a vicious cycle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 03:29:52 AM »
 Glad I could help!

I have a couple of friends who have had frankly ridiculous results on google for some very common symptoms and I resolved to never put myself through that wringer again. :)

One was a guy who was having some problem when urinating. He googled and it said kidney failure. It scared the bollocks out of him so he went to the doctor. Do you know what it was? Too much beetroot. :D

The other friend googled twitching eyelid and the most bizarre result came up... Eyelid cancer. I have NEVER heard of someone with eyelid cancer. The chances of that even happening must be absolutely minuscule and yet there it was... Practically number one in the list of results.

That proved to me that although googles algorithms are pretty amazing. They are absolutely not foolproof and they DO NOT bring up the most likely candidates for any symptom.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: