Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Do you know....  (Read 140 times)

Offline park682

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do you know....
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
So I've been worried about a blood clot for about a month now. I notice last week that my right calf is slightly larger than my left (1-2 cm). Now I've been compulsively checking my leg since then...is having 1 like that is slightly larger than the other normal? I don't know if it's always been like that and now that  I am checking it all the time, I really notice it. I had 2 negative d dimers in December.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you know....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
It's normal :)

Everyone has a dominant side so it makes sense for the side of your body you favour to be slightly more developed. No one is perfectly symmetrical. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
Oddly enough I've also been paranoid about blood clots for some time now! Like the last poster said, it is normal for your legs to be slightly different sizes. What you want to look out for is a significant size difference, unexplained bruising, redness, swelling, extreme difficulty walking, etc. Not everyone shows these symptoms but if you do you will want to get looked at. Also watch out for any chest pain, unexplained shortness of breath, coughing up blood, etc as this could signify a pulmonary embolism. My grandpa recently had a dvt and pulmonary embolisms which is how I'm getting my information. It is truly a scary thing and I can for sure sympathize with your fear as it is one that I have too. From what you've said it doesn't sound like a DVT to me but Im no doctor! Just keep a look out for any changes if you are worried about it. Also try to find some comfort in the 2 negative D dimmer tests. :-) I hope I helped a bit!
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
Thanks! It helps...I've had leg pain for a while but I honestly think it anxiety/depression pain. It's hard because I went to the ER last month for chest pain, that's when they did an xray(which showed no PE) and the first d dimer. Two weeks later I went back and had a second normal d dimer. So they said my chest pains are anxiety related....
It's funny because my leg could have always looked like this and I never noticed because I wasn't focused on a DVt. There is only pain in both legs but no redness or anything like that.

Sorry that you guys are dealing with the same thing! Hope your grandfather is ok!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
My grandpa is shockingly well, thank you! He's 82 and was admitted to the hospital with the DVT, then had 2 minor heart attacks, pneumonia, and pulmonary embolisms. The doctors are shocked that he made it out of the hospital! He's on oxygen and having difficulty walking again but hes really determined. Both my legs have been hurting also which is why I've been so paranoid, but it seems to go away when I dont focus on it so Im sure Im just freaking myself out. Anxiety can do really weird things to your body I suppose!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ksteph

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:33:23 PM »
My neighbor was admitted to the hospital yesterday and ended up having a blood clot in his leg. The swelling was extremely noticeable and he knew something was wrong, his leg was not slightly bigger than the other. It was also very red. It doesn't sound like you are having that, but I understand what you are worrying about. I once went into a frenzy because I thought one of my arms looked bigger than the other and came to the conclusion that I had a tumor in my arm. Haha ohhh anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything