Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Career/Work options for ppl with anxiety? What do you do for work?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline YoloGirl31

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member

So I recently joined and this is my first ever attempt at blogging, so bear with me please  :)

Just wondering, if we all suffer from some form of anxiety, how does everyone cope with work life? It's been my experience that it's hard to work in places that have many ppl (social anxiety sufferer here). To me it seems you have no choice but to be very sociable at most workplaces. I started suffering from SA around 18, and my fear got so bad I never continued schooling. That being said over the years I've had various jobs. For the last several years I've been a private home CNA. This keeps me working but definitely limits having to be with lots of ppl and new ppl on a daily basis. I do like my work, and I enjoy the company of the elderly so this helps, however it doesn't pay much. Better than flipping burgers for minimum wage I guess,lol! Thing is I'm trying to get the courage to go back to school in the near future even if it's a tech school, online, job change, whatever.

So I guess the real question is, what does everyone do for a living? How we'll do you cope and what kind of anxiety do you suffer from? Even if it's not a graduate, or tech school, what do you do for work? Thanx, and I look forward to seeing the responses :)
[/color]
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Career/Work options for ppl with anxiety? What do you do for work?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »
Following.... would definitely like to know also. I stay at home.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cozy813

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:44:50 AM »
Hi, I have a similar situation but strangely different. I NEVER had social anxiety. Always very outgoing,easy to talk to anyone. Just had a normal fear of public speaking. This all changed about 2 years into the job I currently do now. I work in Insurance and my dept consists of about 60 people. I think after a while, these miserable people broke my spirit. Most of them were a so unwelcoming a d rude. Out of 60 people, there are about 7 I actually like and have a relationship with. So after being in that environment if rudeness and just miserable people, I became socially anxious. Having an almost flat out panic attack if someone I normally didn't talk to, came up to speak to me about anything other than a hello. Not my friends though,just the others. It was embarrassing a d terrifying. What was wrong with me??? I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin. Let me also note that I have always had depression. Not terrible, but it would get bad at times. We all know anxiety and depression go hand in hand. I decided I cannot live like this. Went to counseling and felt it just wasn't for me. Did not want meds so I decided to cure my anxiety and depression naturally. Which meant eating better, exercise and yoga. This has helped me tremendously! Now, I talk to anyone. Almost like I used to feel. I have some momentsof anxiety that trickle in but nothing like before. I am fighting it and winning. We learn to feel a certain wayan we can unlearn it too. Ok know how awful you feel and I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope this has helped a little. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jason293117

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »
Moving forward and accepting change. Thats the key. It sounds easy but it is very terrifying and difficult, many struggles seem to come with it. If we can succeed happiness could be endless. Im a pipe layer by the way, teco gas...   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
I work as a physician assistant in family practice....so a job where you have to be very social, with both colleagues and patients. Funny thing, even though I didn't always have anxiety I've always been shy, but somehow my shyness didn't really apply to patients. I was just a more confident person with them. Maybe it's just because I really feel like medicine is my calling in life, I don't know.

That said, I had a lot of shakeups in my career in the 6 years I've been in it already. And I think those shakeups really hurt my confidence for awhile, and played a role in the anxiety and depression. Now I'm sometimes nervous seeing patients, which is terribly frustrating. Specifically with new patients that I haven't met before, or early morning patients when I don't really feel awake yet.  I do better with a fuller schedule, because I get into a groove after awhile and feel like my old self again, where I'm definitely overthinking when I have just a few patients on the day.

The Acceptance and Commitment Therapy model would suggest that you find something that you would feel fulfilled doing, regardless of whether you think it might make you feel anxious. ACT is big on moving people to live valuable lives in spite of anxiety and depressive symptoms, and sometimes living your values can help diminish those symptoms. Instead of shrinking away from opportunities because of your symptoms. Easier said than done, but so it is with any method of managing anxiety or depression.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeurosisOsmosis

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:10 AM »
Programming. Write good code and create software that people are willing to buy. Can be done entirely from home. Learn C# and Java, or/and C++ if you're a god and you're willing to put in a lot more work for higher quality. Focus on learning Java if you just want to be hired by someone. The harder you work the more money you'll make.

Writing. Learn how to entice people's interest. Learn how to structure an article/story. Be insane, create imaginary worlds in your head, learn how to translate them into something interesting. You can make money by writing online alone, but it's quite difficult. This skill meshes well with programming.

I've made a living off of these two skills for five years or so. I dropped out of high school in 7th grade, due to bullying/abuse. I rarely interact with people irl. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline YoloGirl31

Hot
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:11:17 AM »
Ok so, so far we have someone in insurance, in construction, a physician assistant and another in programming. Thank you all for your responses so far, I find it amazing that we all have such diverse careers and yet we are all share the same difficulties. You guys all give me hope that I can push to be anything, I had convinced myself that there were major limitations on what I could do because of my SA, but I see I was clearly wrong. I must admit in my circumstance programming sounds the most enticing! Working with 60+ ppl sounds like a living nightmare to me! I'm not strong enough for construction, and I'm in the medical field and see first hand what is done and it just doesn't do anything for me... Maybe if I was working with children though. Otherwise programming as I like computers but know nothing about writing code.   

I hope to see more ideas soon thanx!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 12:20:12 AM »
I'm a sealcoater and a parking lot striper. I do a lot of big businesses and peoples driveways as well... I'm always out in public in and out of town. around the public. I really feel uncomfortable doing it. but It's only from like May until Thanksgiving and early september. Going to college right now and I love it a lot more, I'd do that for a living it it paid me, lol.

My social anxiety doesn't really go well with the work I do but it puts money in the bank...

I can't wait to graduate and get a career.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline YoloGirl31

Hot
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:35:29 AM »
Potatoes, that does sound like it pays the bills. Probably much better than CNA work. I'm glad to hear your in school and you love it, may I ask what are you studying to be? And does being in school or in class not give you SA ? That is what scares me, fear of having to get to know my fellow classmates.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:01 AM »
My social anxiety takes a huge effect on my schooling. but I have to go to school. It straight scares me to think I'd be doing what I do for the rest of my life.

I'm on some medication right now for my schooling and I'm getting through my classes. I'm only on day 6 of my medication, and because of my classes it's driven me to see a psychiatrist because I"m on my last limb for school. There is also a school counselor there who is licensed and I will be attended Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with him as well.

How about you?
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline NeurosisOsmosis

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
Otherwise programming as I like computers but know nothing about writing code.   

You don't have to be a genius or a mathematician to learn how to code. That's a facade put on by insecure needleheads.  You only need to be willing to sit down and study, as you would if you were learning any other language.

I recommend starting here: http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/

Bookmark and Share

Offline Baz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:04 AM »
Hi Yola thank god I don't have to work my family has money so they help me. I don't know what I would do if I had to work. I tried jobs before but would quit after a few days because of my SA. My mother had SA when she was young I guess I got it from her anyway she told me she used to eat in the bathroom at lunch her SA was so bad. But she had no choice but to work public assistance was hard to get back then so no way she could avoid not working.

So she eventually overcame SA because she had to. Maybe it would be better if there was no way to avoid people like in my mothers day and I would have gotten over my SA like her. Anyway, I've been isolating for a long time because my SA is severe my therapist says but I've gotten a lot better and think I'll get over SA soon. My advice force yourself to do things like college work and I bet you'll overcome SA. I wish I had no choice but to confront my SA I might have a life by now!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:41:09 PM »
I am also interested in this. I work about 10 hours a week at a small women's gym. It works okay most of the time as I have some freedoms to go to the back room for a few minutes or have a whole hour when no one shows up. However there is also the flip side when 6 or 8 people can be there or I have to help train a new person on the machines. Most of the women are unfortunately older and complain or talk about health problems, surgeries, and friends/family that have died of heart attacks or strokes, etc. and that doesn't help my constant worry about myself dying. I am looking for something different now that I preferably could do either from home or close to home but I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
My anxiety keeps me from going out to places to just have fun, but I can somehow tolerate work. I don't know why, and I work in a police precinct as a civilian with a good amount of responsibility. If I lose my job because I cannot go, then I will lack insurance to treat myself. I force myself and my mind seems to mold around what I push back into my comfort zone. I used to love going to bars and having fun, but since my last birthday (Last July) -- well, not ON my birthday, but around that time -- it has been VERY hard for me to go out and see friends. I finally mustered up the courage to go to a fire at a friends house a couple of weeks ago, so I am making progress.

I also was an active firefighter, and my anxiety got so bad that I am now on medical leave. It's volunteer, so it's whatever... But I used to be able to handle incredibly high stress situations and be fine. A couple of years ago I fought a wildfire for over 12 hours straight and I was fine. Tired, but not anxious. Now I go to the supermarket and I feel light-headed. See how things can change? But I am continuously trying to push myself to push my comfort zone out again.

As for medicine, Xanax has been a God send. I don't suggest it for long term use (Anti-depressants and such stay in the body much longer and work better for long term treatment), it's great for when you're starting on new medicine and the effects haven't started kicking in yet. I take the smallest dose at .25mg and that's enough to even me out. I also have Propranolol (10mg, also a very small dose) that my Psychiatrist prescribed for me. That helps the physical manifestations of anxiety. I think anxiety definitely affects me mentally, but the WORST part(s) were the physical manifestations that came along and snowballed the anxiety into a mountain. I'd feel kind of anxious and my chest would tighten up and/or my breathing would become a bit shallow and/or I'd get lightheaded. So what does my mind do? "Well, I don't feel well, so lets panic!" Even if I tried self talk, it didn't always help. Breathing techniques did if I could find a quiet spot, but imagine being at the cash register buying some groceries and a guy starts doing rhythmic breathing exercises lol. On the outside I dealt with it and probably seemed calm, but on the inside raged an inferno of anxiety that made me want to leap out of my skin and jump through the front window.

Anyway, I suggest seeing a therapist as well since they can help. Work and socializing is important to us as human beings. We all should feel moderately OK to go out and talk to people. Having a bit of anxiety is normal, in my opinion, but our anxiety is at a much higher level. That's why we seek treatment and help. I hope soon I can be back to myself, socially.

Best of luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Career work school