Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Over 2 years of symptoms, no answers.  (Read 986 times)

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Over 2 years of symptoms, no answers.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 06:39:42 PM »
Why is it so hard though?  I mean, to try and put two and two together that it is most likely just my anxiety but every time I have a new symptom it just tears me apart.  Like today I was sitting in my room and suddenly out of nowhere I had a sharp stabbing pain right in the middle of my abdomen (in my navel) which has been happening for about 1 year now on and off.  That suddenly has thrown me off because it's scary because I think it's appendicitis or a tumor growing and my back pain is caused by that too.

I'm able to ignore minor aches and pains - but it's the sharp pains that terrify me (like today).  Why is this so hard to overcome?

You know, try to read what everybody above has posted and take it seriously.  The way you are living is no way to live.  Only you hold the key.  I will tell you though, as a guy, you will still in this 21st Century, find resistance from doctors and others to men having anxiety problems.  You must be your own advocate.  Also, as a guy sometimes you can't spot yourself that you have an anxiety/depression illness.  You are young.  You can more easily change your thoughts now than ten and twenty and thirty years down the line.  I know.  I've been there.  I had to face the music and face my fears.  Fear can be your jailer.  Don' let it.  Live!   :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:02 PM »
It's hard because we are so used to dealing with things in a certain way that the behaviour has become ingrained.

The difference between us and 'the normals' (ie non anxious folk) is how we choose to react to the sensations our body gives us. We are under the impression that perfect health means never getting any symptoms and that just isn't true. 'The normals' (for some reason I love calling them that!) feel the same sensations we do. But they don't stop what they were doing and say 'hold up! What was that? Was that important?!' It's our very emotional and fearful response that keeps the cycle of fear going.

We become used to stopping what we were doing when we feel a twinge and start scanning our bodies I see if the sensation was important. We give it meaning and we give it attention. If we feel the sensation but don't give it an emotional response our body realises that although it happened. It's not worth paying attention to.

The way we form behaviours is done via the pathways we connect in our brain. If we constantly give all of our twinges importance, then our default reaction when we feel something will be fear.

It is hard to reprogram these thoughts so that we do not instantly catastrophise each sensation and random thought but it can be done.

Eg I'm doing a bit better than I used to be. My main worry is about my memory at the moment. But every now and then I get a sudden sharp pain somewhere in my body and my brain (which I'm in he progress of trying to rewire) screams 'blood clot, BONE CANCER!' It's a fleeting thought but as I have now recognised the extent to which I was living with anxiety these thoughts now make me just laugh a little at my faulty thinking.

It's taken many years to build up these pathways in your brain, it won't be possible to fix them overnight. Gradually chipping away will get you there though. It's a long road but I really do believe you can do it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
Thank you everyone for helping me.  My abdominal pain has lessened, but my back pain is still present.

I guess I never thought anxiety can be so powerful.  I just feel that "oh I have lower back pain, so it must be bone cancer or a tumor" or "my abdominal pain must be a tumor growing inside of me" despite the fact that I have had 2 abdominal x-rays saying otherwise.  I just worry that I'll be judged for seeking therapy or taking medication for my anxiety.  Honestly, that's one reason (not the main reason though) as to why I haven't been seeking therapy.  I guess that since I have dealt with anxiety/HA for so long that I've just grown accustomed to it.

But, how can I tell what's my anxiety from an actual problem? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »
Thank you everyone for helping me.  My abdominal pain has lessened, but my back pain is still present.

I guess I never thought anxiety can be so powerful.  I just feel that "oh I have lower back pain, so it must be bone cancer or a tumor" or "my abdominal pain must be a tumor growing inside of me" despite the fact that I have had 2 abdominal x-rays saying otherwise.  I just worry that I'll be judged for seeking therapy or taking medication for my anxiety.  Honestly, that's one reason (not the main reason though) as to why I haven't been seeking therapy.  I guess that since I have dealt with anxiety/HA for so long that I've just grown accustomed to it.

How?  Just believe the test results and start to seriously work on your mental health.   You may be judged by some ignorant people, but you will have to let that go.  Everybody exhibits some symptoms of anxiety and stress, but some, like you, like me, like others, are more sensitive to it.  It is not your fault; you were born that way.  However, once you either start your own DIY self project on yourself, or you do it with help, you will find that you will react to normal bodily sensations in a different way: you will not go over the "what if" cliff, and you will be able to replace an insecure thought with a secure thought, until one day you are wondering what happened to the old, nervous you.

It is hard work and daunting, and you must work at it, but the alternative is a life of fear and frustration.  And, speaking from experience, the physical symptoms only get worse with age. 

Start now.  Seriously start now. 

You will get there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »

This is classic anxiety :)

We feel a vague unconnected symptoms and then our fear driven mind connects one with the other, unrelated symptom and we end up with a 'diagnosis' from our googling etc that had made us oh so knowledgeable about health. Basically 2 + 2 = 5. :)

I'm not saying that 'the normals' don't experience these sharp or sudden pains, they do. It's just that they don't attach an emotional response to it like we do. 

It's our thinking that is faulty and the expectation that we should never have any symptoms. (Which is just impossible)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
I'm working on this now...trust me.  I have actually noticed that while my stomach pains are sometimes still present, it's not as bad as when this first started - I guess it's because I'm not as concerned about it as my back pain.  But this back pain is awful, no matter how much I ignore or pay attention to it.  The last scan I had (which was a normal x-ray about 7 months ago) didn't show any type of growths or tumors on it.

Anyway, thank you for all who responded and I will try and take this one day at a time...but my mom told me to get a physical so I can at least see what's up with my back.  Thanks again.   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
Why is it so hard though?  I mean, to try and put two and two together that it is most likely just my anxiety but every time I have a new symptom it just tears me apart.

I think of it this way.  I didn't logically choose to have anxiety cause all of these symptoms, so why would I expect that logical reasoning would get me out of it?  There are tools out there that will help, but simply wishing or demanding they go away typically doesn't work.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Tags:

anything