Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft plus wine  (Read 293 times)

Offline somaj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft plus wine
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »
Just curiouser, how does Zoloft effect alchohal? I have been on a 12.5mg dose for about 7 days and this evening I had 2 large glasses of Merlot and feel really "messed up". I took a 1/2 of a .25 mg Xanax at about 7am, can't imagine that is affectingly now.....but not sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft plus wine
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
Antidepressants and alcohol consumption are usually not a very good mix.  Normally a small dose of alcohol is OK on the weekends, however this is if you're stable on an antidepressant.  Somaj, since you've just started, your body is still adjusting to the Zoloft (Setraline), so the side effects maybe coming from the antidepressant, the alcohol or both.

A previous poster over the summer raised the issue of regular alcohol consumption and being on Zoloft.    By the way, I am using this older thread as a reference, and in no way making any negative comments about the OP, but referencing her experiences on antidepressant usage and drinking alcohol.  Also note, in comparison to you, the OP had been on Zoloft much longer, but she never went over 50mg to manage her anxiety.  The factor of a minimum therapeutic dose on Zoloft for over a year may also have an effect on the antidepressant effectiveness, just like taking Zoloft with regular alcohol consumption, however both the regular use of alcohol and dosage level, should be taken with serious consideration when being on an antidepressant.

For the thread, please click this link below:
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,73808.msg420095.html#msg420095
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline somaj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
Feel a little better now. Weird. Felt like I had drank a whole bottle after only 2 glasses. Have to keep this in mind from now on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
Just curiouser, how does Zoloft effect alchohal? I have been on a 12.5mg dose for about 7 days and this evening I had 2 large glasses of Merlot and feel really "messed up". I took a 1/2 of a .25 mg Xanax at about 7am, can't imagine that is affectingly now.....but not sure.

There are two things to consider. Firstly, antidepressants can make reactions to alcohol unpredictable. Sometimes a small amount will turn you your legs to rubber, on other occasions you could drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table without raising a sweat. So be very wary about driving, etc, until you get a handle on how alcohol is affecting you on the day.

Secondly, alcohol and anxiety are not a good mix.

Also keep in mind that alcohol and benzodiazepines are a bad combination. They are both CNS depressants which particularly affect the brain stem that, among other things, generates the breathing reflex. A couple of glasses of red wine and 0.125mg Xanax are unlikely to do any harm, but larger amounts of both could be problematic.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: